Gransnet forums

Chat

Is this what John Reith had in mind?

(10 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Fri 01-Sep-17 10:35:14

Today local radio seems obsessed with vacuum cleaners. As a result of an EU ban on vacuum cleaners over a certain power they first had a "reporter" going out to listeners homes and doing their vacuuming and now are inviting listeners to ring in so they can hear the noise their vacuum cleaner makes. Arghhhhhh.

Anya Fri 01-Sep-17 10:49:26

I agree oldwoman ...arghhhhhh

Greyduster Fri 01-Sep-17 11:03:28

That's why I don't listen to local radio (ours is diabolical).

Alima Fri 01-Sep-17 11:08:19

I dare say LR had something in mind similar to The Brains Trust. (How I hated that programme!). I never listen to local radio either, always seems to be screeching women on when DH listens to it.

goldengirl Fri 01-Sep-17 12:45:56

Didn't a Milliband have a programme about flushing toilets???
Talk about dumbing down!
This ain't news - or do I now live on another planet? Even radio 4 can be dire at times.

Oldwoman70 Fri 01-Sep-17 13:40:22

I used to love BBC local radio it had intelligent presenters and interesting guests. Now it is pretty dire, the other day a presenter asked a guest "when did you notice you had lost your arm in the accident"!!!!

Nelliemoser Sat 02-Sep-17 09:11:16

Well John Reith had nothing to do with local radio. Heaven forbid.
Reith also insisted that all radio announcers wore dinner jackets while they were on the air. He was apparently and very dour puritanical Scot.

I cannot be bothered with local radio .
I hated, (Still do) Any Questions which my parents listened to every Friday night.
I generally listen to Radio 4. There are all sorts of interesting things there you can just "happen upon" which you then find are totally fascinating listening.

There is usually something worth listening to during the day. Good comedy slots. Womens Hour and other stuff .
Saturday live on right now is good.

Imperfect27 Sat 02-Sep-17 10:38:37

Ha ha Oldwoman, it was all over Breakfast News on BBC1 yesterday - wondered when it would crop up here. And yes, AAAAAAAAaaaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhh.

trisher Sat 02-Sep-17 10:45:29

Local radio are always desperate for stories and welcome anything they think will fill in half and hour. And I don't think John Reith even imagined what might be on today (turning in his grave?)

maryeliza54 Sat 02-Sep-17 12:31:35

BBC local radio have had swingeing cuts - ironically to help fund the hole left in the BBC accounts by their having to fund free TV licences for the over-75s.