Gransnet forums

Chat

Red Hats and purple everything else

(42 Posts)
Teetime Sun 03-Sep-17 10:19:23

I was in Cambridge yesterday which was awash with Ladies of a Certain Age in Red Hats and red/purple dresses. They looked resplendent and were seen in several places at once having tea, having coffee, having lunch, cocktails etc. I assume they are a society linked to the poem. My sister (aged 55) and my daughter (45) took great exception to these ladies ands their 'look'. The ladies were having the most enormous fun and I am temped to join - anyone know anything about them please.

grannysue05 Sun 03-Sep-17 10:27:42

Its a society of Red Hatters....a group started in America in the late nineties.
Ladies over 50 can join.
They enjoy their age, wear red hats and usually purple dresses, and have loads of fun.

Chewbacca Sun 03-Sep-17 10:29:03

britishredhatters2.weebly.com

You're right Teetime, they're inspired by the Jenny Joseph poem. If you're in the Cambridge area, you could join them, they look like fun is their aim!

Maranta Sun 03-Sep-17 10:29:50

Google the Red Hat Society Teetime. I saw them too.

Teetime Sun 03-Sep-17 10:43:15

I have sent my enquiry to see if they are based near me.

kittylester Sun 03-Sep-17 10:57:27

Keep me posted Teetime!

Lindylou51 Sun 03-Sep-17 11:04:20

I was also in Cambridge yesterday and saw them. Their outfits looked very fine and they did look to be having a jolly time indeed! Worth joining just to dress up and wear the hat!

Teetime Sun 03-Sep-17 11:05:44

So there were a few of us Gransnetters lurking about too!!
OK kitty sounds like our kind of thing. I see you in HUGE Chapeau I shall have a Fez!

mcem Sun 03-Sep-17 11:08:13

Tried searching locations but don't think there are any near me.
Sounds like something GN might have become.
The best bits - like meetups and humorous aspects but without the grumbling and nitpicking!

Christinefrance Sun 03-Sep-17 11:10:29

Sounds a great idea, grow old disgracefully ?

merlotgran Sun 03-Sep-17 11:15:49

I live twenty mins from Cambridge but I can assure you I wasn't one of them. Not my cup of PG.

I looked at their website and you join 'chapters' like the Hells Angels shock

Good Luck to them if that's what floats their boat but I haven't worn a uniform to go out and have fun since I left the Brownies.

nanaK54 Sun 03-Sep-17 11:31:32

I came across a group of these ladies at the Newmarket Stud restaurant at the beginning of August - they looked to be having a great time smile

Imperfect27 Sun 03-Sep-17 11:50:29

Sounds like good fun, but I would want to be more anonymous and just quietly subversive in my own ways grin.

Wonder if they have spitting competitions?

Luckygirl Sun 03-Sep-17 12:21:28

Just got a reply to my enquiry email about it and had a reply from "Queen Opal" - now that DOES put me off!

MissAdventure Sun 03-Sep-17 12:35:38

Oh that sounds quite awful: Queen Opal! Ugh!

Day6 Sun 03-Sep-17 12:49:13

I am quite happy to grow old disgracefully (or not) and meet people and have fun, but I am not sure I want to dress up to do it, or stand out.

In truth, I prefer smaller groups of about six maximum really so we can all hear the conversation and talk to each other. Sometimes with bigger groups you tend to talk to the person beside you and miss out on different conversations, so I suppose small gatherings are best for me.

To each their own and good luck to those who enjoy being part of the Red Hat group.

Teetime Sun 03-Sep-17 13:25:47

Indeed I have just had a reply from Queen Opal who must field all the general enquiries. Apparently my nearest 'chapter' is in Rutland who would have thought the stable matrons of Rutland would be so daring. Anyhoo what I have learnt is that this 'movement' started in USA hence the silly 'chapters' and 'queens' terminology'. I think I shall explore a little further - my flamboyant days are over really but I'm curious and it would annoy DS and DD! enormously!!!!! grin

HildaW Sun 03-Sep-17 13:56:18

I was nearly adopted by a chapter in the US a few years ago....was in the ladies loo of a big family restaurant when several ladies in purple burst in....I was hailed as a long lost friend. After a few moments of confusion I realised my purple M&S T shirt was giving them the wrong impression. They certainly seemed a jolly bunch and I googled Red hatters when I got home only to find the nearest UK group was miles away!

SueDonim Sun 03-Sep-17 14:03:33

I was visiting a small town called Ojai, in California, when there was a sudden influx of older women, well dressed and all wearing something red on their heads. It's very sunny there so many people wear a hat anyway, all,they just happened to be red.

They were so jolly and we're obviously having a great time, whiling away a Sunday afternoon eating ice cream and browsing in the little shops, although not necessarily at the same time!

I didn't know about red hat societies then so I googled and found out about them. It may not be everyone's cup of tea but if it brings pleasure to people and hurts no one, where's the harm?

SueDonim Sun 03-Sep-17 14:04:24

Sorry for errors, I didn't proof read.

lemongrove Sun 03-Sep-17 14:44:58

Go for it Teetime! You could meet up at Gates Garden Centre for lunch and have fun.They may even have their Christmas things out for sale.?

willsmadnan Sun 03-Sep-17 15:00:12

Agree Merlot. I live 10 mins from Cambridge and much though I respect their attitude I have no desire to wear a 'uniform' again. A panama hat and gingham dress in the summer 60 years ago was enough for me grin.I can happily browse the shops, the Fitzwilliam and Patisserie Valerie without a red hat!

MissAdventure Sun 03-Sep-17 15:12:33

I know its probably miserable of me, but I don't think I'd enjoy being a red hatter
It seems like too much hard work for someone not naturally 'jolly' (me!)

JackyB Sun 03-Sep-17 20:33:51

I admire them but I wear neither hats nor dresses.

lemongrove Sun 03-Sep-17 22:37:21

I would join in if there was a group near me, it sounds a bit of fun, and you would immediately recognise other members, a bit like the Masons.?
I quite fancy a red hat.