Gransnet forums

Chat

What do you sound like ?

(156 Posts)
NanKate Sun 17-Sep-17 07:16:31

I had a dreadful stammer as a child brought on by the stress of being separated from my family at 3 years old and put in an isolation ward in hospital. 10 days later I was reunited with the family. Anyway I digress.

I had speech training or elocution as it was called then, so instead of having a Brummie accent I have an accent that I can't define, some say it is cultured, really don't know.

I am on hols in the Midlands and it feels like home to hear the Brummie and Black Country accents.

What do you sound like ?

GrandmaMoira Sun 17-Sep-17 10:29:12

Tricia - you are wrong. Many southerners/Londoners think the north starts at Watford - there is a saying "civilisation ends at Watford"!!
I was born in Scotland but mostly lived in London so have a mild London accent. Londoners think I am vaguely north but everyone else thinks I am London.

Eglantine21 Sun 17-Sep-17 10:29:23

Ah yes, I went for a job in Birmingham and the interviewer told me he didn't like Southerners. I had to point out my birthplace was north of Birmingham, albeit on the east coast!

trisher Sun 17-Sep-17 10:31:25

Well I'm a Yorkshire lass living in Geordie land who was married to a Southerner, so my accent is mixed to say the least. That said I wasn't allowed a local accent when I was growing up, so was never broad Yorkshire-"What's the matter? Pigs in t'watter ."was how not to speak! I still do buses and butter though, with a northern 'u' but say barth and graass. And even the occasional Geordie word slips in. It's fun when people try to guess where I come from.

gillybob Sun 17-Sep-17 10:33:52

I've honestly never heard it "in real life"
Only written as a pathetic Micky take to desribe those of us with whippets and flat caps who still send our children up the chimney.

MargaretX Sun 17-Sep-17 10:47:41

Compared to my friend who comes from London I have a Yorkshire or a Sheffield (flat) accent. But as we live in Germany and speak German there is always a problem because most don't know where we come from and I don't have an English accent but a slight Bavarian accent because I spoke my first real German there.
Most people tend to think I'm from Holland. Unfortunately after 30 years speaking school room English I no longer sound really English until I have been in the Uk for some days.
Many in my English classes thought I should have spoken Oxford English or BBC English but thankfully those days are gone.
I get upset when I hear a recording of my voice as 30 years teaching and even more years choral singing have worn out my vocal chords, or too much shouting at my children
when they were young.
I regret not having my voice trained when I was younger but there was no money for that then.

glammanana Sun 17-Sep-17 10:48:35

I was brought up in what was at the time Cheshire but after boundary changes the area became known as Merseyside and included all of Liverpool,I have a soft scouse accent mainly because I have worked in Liverpool most of my working life,I don't stretch my "Cs" or "Hs" as true Liverpudlians do, when abroad many people ask we come from even though they can guess we come from "Up North" somewhere.

ginny Sun 17-Sep-17 10:55:03

Born in Middlesex. Rest of life in Herts (Watford) and the last 40 years in North Bucks. Sometimes told I speak 'posh'. I think I am fairly neutral with a bit of Bucks. Hate to hear myself on a recording. I don' sound anything like I think I do.

Nonnie Sun 17-Sep-17 10:56:47

Apparently I sound like I come from Surrey - I don't. When we were house hunting there in the days when you registered with estate agents, I gave my address as Solihull and was told that I didn't come from there I sounded local.

Still far too much snobbery about accents.

goldengirl Sun 17-Sep-17 10:58:33

I'm told I sound 'posh' when I'm speaking in public but revert to a mishmash when at home. DH is from the north and I'm a true southerner - hence the mixture

Anniebach Sun 17-Sep-17 11:01:02

Welsh but a mixture of several Welsh accents

paddyann Sun 17-Sep-17 11:02:01

I have a scottish accent,west coast ,not a weegie accent which is much stronger .I have a very "young" voice apparently as, if I've spoken to a client on the phone when he speaks to my husband he'll say that wee lassie that works for you...lol I'm actually older than my OH.I regularly get asked for the "boss as he'll have a better idea then the office girl" I think its hilarious .

BlueBelle Sun 17-Sep-17 11:03:31

I m told I have no accent and I don't think I do if I listen back to a recording I certainly wouldn't know where I came from My grandparents on one side were Suffolk through and through and on the other side Leicestershire so i grew up with 'owd morthers' and 'me ducks' I was a day pupil at a boarding school so mixed with girls from all over the place and never seemed to pick any particular accent up
I am a Barth, grarss, carstle person though but have never been told I speak posh
I m definitely a scone not a scon person though that sounds everso posh to me
I love accents

jenpax Sun 17-Sep-17 11:22:40

From Sussex, but don't think I have any Sussex accent.
I went to a boarding school and we spoke RP and at home,so I have been mainly told that I sound "posh"?
I also lived in Dorset for 15 years, and when I moved back to Sussex some locals said I had a trace of West Country, but I can't hear it myself?

Oriel Sun 17-Sep-17 14:33:17

I have a southern accent.

I don't say barth, grarss, carstle though. To me that would be someone from the West Country.

MissAdventure Sun 17-Sep-17 14:46:20

I'm pure Essex girl, although, years ago I asked someone where they were from and she told me her accent was a proper Essex one. It was almost west country sounding. She said Essex accents today are watered down with cockney.

Marelli Sun 17-Sep-17 14:57:35

Mine is a mix of Fife and Nottingham due to spending my years living in both areas now and again. My English friends think I have a Scottish accent and my Scottish friends think I have an English one. When I hear myself talk - eg on our answerphone, I think I sound awful - (rather flat and bossy-sounding)!

wildswan16 Sun 17-Sep-17 15:39:52

What do I sound like?

Usually like I've lost the plot. And a little bit Yorkshire, little bit Highland Scots, little bit Fife.

Charleygirl Sun 17-Sep-17 16:11:40

I lived in East Fife until I was 18 but I went to a boarding school where I got the impression that my accent was common so had it slowly changed by the nuns. Some people think I have a strong Scottish accent, I do not. My grandmother was barely intelligible except to family and those who lived in East Fife when she spoke as she had a very strong East Fife accent having lived there all of her life.

I worked in Dundee for a few years and to begin with thought I was in a foreign country.

Thebeeb Sun 17-Sep-17 16:38:17

Suffolk and proper carrot topper accent which in spite of living away from Suffolk I haven't lost. It's a real conversation starter wherever I go and I even have a lady at my gym who sits next to me as asks me to talk so she can listen to my accent. I wouldn't go so far as to say I hate it but very often feel people judge me as being stupid because of my accent.

shysal Sun 17-Sep-17 17:02:41

Born and brought up in Oxford I don't think I have any accent, certainly don't have the 'Oxford' one, that is for gown rather than town. I think DD1 sounds the same as me though, and she has been called a carrot cruncher.
I hate hearing my voice recorded as it is quite deep, and I have been called 'Sir' on the phone! On my answer phone greetings I have tried to pitch it higher but still hate it.

DanniRae Sun 17-Sep-17 17:52:25

I mainly grew up in Surrey but have lived in South London for 47 years so I guess I have a South London accent. Not a lot I can do about that but I love to listen to anyone from Newcastle speaking.

Lisalou Sun 17-Sep-17 18:43:44

I was brought up in Buckinghamshire until I was six and then moved to Spain. My mother is american, my father was british. I am told my accent is "neither here nor there" or "mid-atlantic", whatever that is!

SueDonim Sun 17-Sep-17 19:07:52

I was born and lived in Kent until I was in my mid-20's, when I moved to Scotland. I don't have an ear for accents, I don't really notice how people sound unless it's very marked, so I haven't picked up the Scots accent. Nor has my Dh and none of our DC sound Scottish, either.

When I go back to Kent, people there sound very different from 40 years ago. The Estuary English accent has taken over and I find only older people such as my inlays still sound Kentish.

SueDonim Sun 17-Sep-17 19:08:38

* In-laws, not inlays!

Christinefrance Sun 17-Sep-17 19:45:49

Because gillybob people seem to think its clever to take the p* out of northern accents. Also to equate it with not being intelligent. I am proud if my northern roots and get really irritated when others, usually people from the south think their way of speaking is the only correct one,