Gransnet forums

Chat

What do you sound like ?

(156 Posts)
NanKate Sun 17-Sep-17 07:16:31

I had a dreadful stammer as a child brought on by the stress of being separated from my family at 3 years old and put in an isolation ward in hospital. 10 days later I was reunited with the family. Anyway I digress.

I had speech training or elocution as it was called then, so instead of having a Brummie accent I have an accent that I can't define, some say it is cultured, really don't know.

I am on hols in the Midlands and it feels like home to hear the Brummie and Black Country accents.

What do you sound like ?

Kupari45 Fri 22-Sep-17 15:14:21

Northumbrian born and bred (Alnwick) however I have lived in Yorkshire for the last 20 years.
Recently I recorded an (Ansaphone) message for our new house phone . When I played it back I was surprised how broad my accent is. Thought it might have watered down since we moved to Yorkshire. No way.!

NotTooOld Fri 22-Sep-17 16:38:19

London. I used to sound quite cockney in my younger days but I think that's moderated to a sort of Janet Street-Porter now. I read recently that she was born in my original neck of the woods so that explains it. I tend to revert naturally to the cockney if I meet up with old friends, though, me ol' cock sparrer.

Marmight Wed 27-Sep-17 18:22:03

I'm amazed at the diversity of our accents. Despite living in Fife for 37 years I still, apparently, have a 'posh' southern accent. I was once told I sound like Princess Anne which was a bit of a shock..... I can, when the occasion demands, change my accent to suit wink.

paddyann Wed 27-Sep-17 22:28:53

was it a Fifer who said you sound like Princess Anne Marmight? Depending where in Fife you go sometimes even us Scots need an interpreter..lol

Marmight Mon 02-Oct-17 11:18:32

No Paddy it was a sassenach?. I can do a braw Fife accent when required.......