Gransnet forums

Chat

Jingle

(267 Posts)
glassortwo Thu 28-Sep-17 22:36:03

Sorry its late in the day!

Happy birthday Jingle , hope you have had a fantastic day with lots of cake.

BBbevan Sat 07-Oct-17 09:45:36

Yes Imperfect27 I agree with you in part. Jings shot me down in flames on my first post and like you I very nearly did not return. I steered well clear after that. But time has moved on and I think I can forgive if not forget. So in that spirit I would say , give her another chance.

baubles Sat 07-Oct-17 09:47:55

I saw a kind, droll, sharp witted person who on occasion could be very sharp indeed but who was quick to apologise if she was mistaken.

More than happy to have you back. smile

FarNorth Sat 07-Oct-17 09:57:00

I was not put off by Jingls but certainly did see several thoughtless, unkind responses.

Still, even murderers get released back into normal society these days so maybe the GN parole board should get onto it.

TerriBull Sat 07-Oct-17 09:57:08

Some of what Imperfect stated has resonance for me, maybe with a few caveats. I do think Jings could go over the top on occasions, but quite honestly I've seen other posts on GN from time to time, one of which sticks in my mind on the "cut off" thread which was extremely nasty and unnecessarily unkind to one of the regular posters there and it didn't get withdrawn nor did the poster get sanctioned. It seems there is an inconsistency about those who offend on GN.

Jings was a larger than life personality, who was funny and unpredictable, definitely her own person without the dreary partisan stance that some take on GN. I think it would be good if she came back there, are a few disappearances I've missed, Greatnan who is sadly no longer with us. Frank who got banished I never really new why and lately PRINTMISS I'm concerned about why she doesn't post anymore, I believe she was one of the older members.

Granny23 Sat 07-Oct-17 10:02:24

Sending best wishes to old cyber friends Jings and Grandjura

TerriBull Sat 07-Oct-17 10:32:39

knew not new

Alima Sat 07-Oct-17 10:54:50

I see what you are saying Imp. There are many on here who can offend others. I was seriously pissed off by your "smug" comment on here reference the "how long married thread". Then I thought to myself, that is unlike you, you are not usually like that and you like football, even if it is Spurs! Wasn't the end of the line for Jing the Aleppo thread on which she had very strong and compassionate views? I agree with BBevan here, surely a year is long enough, Jing has served her time.
Like you TerriBull, I wonder where PRINTMISS is, lovely lady probably seen off by snide comments on an earrings on children thread of all things.
Also, where are Jalima and Rosesarered? Have they had enough or have new names? Hello wherever you are!

merlotgran Sat 07-Oct-17 11:04:59

And where is Jane Ainsworth?

DanniRae Sat 07-Oct-17 11:17:19

First let me say that I have never had any problems with jings - BUT I think it's very courageous of Imperfect to come on here and say what she said especially after all the warm greetings and messages from everyone prior to her post.
So Well Done for having the courage of your convictions.

gillybob Sat 07-Oct-17 11:20:53

I think JaneA is having a bit of a break from GN merlot . smile

trisher Sat 07-Oct-17 11:31:02

I wonder if it is to do with your upbringing. My family have always had the ability to make cutting remarks and you do learn to live with it, knowing that it is mostly just a strange sense of humour. But I suppose if you encounter it for the first time on GN it might put you off. (My GD once told my aunt who was very proud of her new yellow suit and white hat that she looked "like a bloody daffodil with snow on top!')

petra Sat 07-Oct-17 12:36:08

Very often jings had the balls to say what others were thinking, and was prepared to take the flack.
She had more compassion in her little finger than one or two on here who can virtual signal for the Olympics.

TerriBull Sat 07-Oct-17 14:08:53

Yes I second that Alima, Roses and Jalima do come back, or maybe you both have but under another guise.

Notme Sat 07-Oct-17 14:11:25

Sorry if I genuinely hurt anyone. Would never, ever, want to do that. I am a pre-GN Mumsnetter, so I know what it feels like when hurt comes to you from your 'puter screen into your own home. It's horrible.

Imperfect I don't think I am a 'troubled person'. confused (apart from me back, which is giving me effing gyp at the moment). Well, no more than most people are.

Best if I don't come back, sort of, full time. The current, slightly weird, situation suits me fine. grin Although I haven't a clue how I'm getting away with it! grin

Notme Sat 07-Oct-17 14:11:44

Prob won't get away with it now. hmm

Notme Sat 07-Oct-17 14:12:30

Yes! Def think roses jalima and Alima should come back.

TerriBull Sat 07-Oct-17 14:18:51

Extraordinary! GN's very own Scarlet Pimpernel welcome back Notme, this should liven things up a bit on a dreary Saturday afternoon grin

merlotgran Sat 07-Oct-17 14:37:46

Nice to know you're still able to slide under the wire now and again, Notme grin

Bellanonna Sat 07-Oct-17 14:44:36

I had been wondering about Roses and Jalima too. Much further back we had a member who always called her husband her DBL. Haven't seen her in ages. I suppose at some point people just take a break, then don't come back.

merlotgran Sat 07-Oct-17 14:47:38

I think that was janerowena, Bellanonna. She changed her name then disappeared.

I miss her gardening comments although she may still be here because I'm rubbish at spotting new usernames.

Bellanonna Sat 07-Oct-17 14:51:31

Yes, that's the one, merlot

Maggiemaybe Sat 07-Oct-17 15:24:56

Well, well, well. That's cheered me up no end. grin

Luckygirl Sat 07-Oct-17 15:38:31

I think Imperfect has a point - ducks below parapet.

On an internet forum, we have no idea of the sensitivities of others, and we cannot always tiptoe round what we do not know, but we can bear in mind that someone might be on a really bad day, and do our best to avoid causing hurt.

A bit of spice, laced with a bit of thought maybe.

But what do I know?

Signed DefinitelyMe. grin

ffinnochio Sat 07-Oct-17 17:44:09

Frankly, all the coming and going, name changes etc., of some of those that I knew ‘back in the day’ has addled my brain.
Simplicity, straightforwardness, clarity and continuity works for me.
Think that’s why I engage with GN very infrequently these days.

kittylester Sat 07-Oct-17 17:50:50

Imperfect's point cuts both ways though. For all we know Jings may have been having a bad day when she offended people. I think that's what Alima was saying.

I know I keep saying this, and I don't mean that new members are unwelcome, but it isn't polite to barrel in as a newbie taking offence at things people might say without getting a feel for the site first. By all means post, but don't take offence easily. I have likened it previously to joining your local WI (or whatever) and announcing at the second meeting that they were doing it all wrong.

It's a case of live and let live.