Gransnet forums

Chat

Why my husband mustn't leave me!

(109 Posts)
kittylester Thu 05-Oct-17 20:59:49

because the kitten brought in a (dead) mouse so I had to shut the kitchen door until dh came home.

Nor can I cope with large 'crunchy' spiders!

And, I can't change the bulbs in the glass cupboards in the kitchen.

I quite like him too.

What vital tasks does your Dh perform?

NfkDumpling Sun 05-Nov-17 07:08:41

Dead things. I have a real dead thing phobia. Dead pigeons, rats, mice, large spiders or a fish floating upside down in the pond. Alive, I have no problem with anything but dead freaks me out.

And anything which requires kneeling. He can kneel, I can’t.

jocork Sun 05-Nov-17 06:58:29

My ex used to think that if he mowed the lawn the garden was done! After he'd gone my son helped a bit but he is married now and lives 200 miles away. He did come to stay for my birthday and did loads of cutting back but the garden still needs major work. I'm still getting rid of what he cut down, filling the green bin every fortnight. I'm probably going to have to pay someone to get it properly under control but I'm not sure it would be much different if the ex was still around.

Mania Wed 01-Nov-17 07:59:34

Rods the drains when they get blocked - one of the perils of country living.

annodomini Thu 12-Oct-17 09:32:35

watermeadow, I also had one of those useless articles. Luckily I am (was) pretty good at DiY. And I do have a cordless vacuum cleaner.

I say 'was' good at DiY because arthritis and age preclude use of previous skills but I do have a very handy DS (not a chip off the old block) who brings his tool bag when he visits - though not often enough!

kittylester Thu 12-Oct-17 08:59:25

Mine is a fair approximation of a paragon but this thread was started tongue in cheek not seriously! grin

Iam64 Thu 12-Oct-17 08:40:44

water meadow, your post made me lol. I had one of those when I was a very young woman. I'm lucky in having a 'paragon of mankind' (well as close as men ever get to that) but they are few and far between imo.

watermeadow Wed 11-Oct-17 18:51:59

Where did you all find these paragons of mankind?
I had a husband but he was never very satisfactory and when he stopped working altogether and I couldn't get him repaired I had to throw him out.
I've managed without one for 25 years and would quite like a new one but I'd really like a cordless Hoover more.

gillybob Wed 11-Oct-17 13:07:33

I can do most things except go up into the loft (which is just as well as DH is hardly ever home when I need him anyway). For some reason when I try to climb the loft ladder I almost double up by taking one rung at a time, which means my bum won't fit through the gap. DH goes into fits of laughter saying "pull your ar*e in woman" but I just can't. grin

gulligranny Wed 11-Oct-17 11:20:32

First husband totally useless; present husband does lovely practical things, understands the boiler, deals with MOT/repairs for my car as well as his, unloads the dishwasher, brings me a cup of tea in bed every morning and is a major cuddle junkie. I can forgive the minor irritations like not putting the lid back on the teabag jar and seemingly being physically unable to close a door or a drawer!

pollyperkins Mon 09-Oct-17 08:43:52

Mine does virually all the gardening and car maintenance plus some DIY. Oh, and the bins. He also often vacuums the house and goes to the shops if I give him a list. Also does most of the finance and drives all the long distance and holiday trips - well , whenever we're both in tha car really.
But he never cooks (apart from opening tins eg beans on toast) and rarely washes up. I d sll the cooking , washing up, washing and ironing. He also refuses to deal with spiders saying I can do it so I do! No cat so no mice problems. He does deal with wasps which I hate.
All in all I'm pretty satisfied - I think Ive got a good 'un! He gives good cuddles too!

Grandma70s Sun 08-Oct-17 19:51:00

The important thing is to teach both your sons and your daughters to look after themselves. You never know what life holds for them, and the idea of a female who can’t use a screwdriver because she’s a girl, or a boy who can’t cook and sew on a button because he’s a boy, is surely a thing of the past.

Gemmag Sun 08-Oct-17 15:04:03

Twiglett77.......What makes you think that some women assume that there will always be a man around to help out?.
I certainly don't!. I can do most things my DH does and often a lot better!. We've discussed everything.

Granny23 Sun 08-Oct-17 00:36:41

Not just divorce/widowhood - long term disability, dementia or progressive illness can leave you as chief cook and bottle washer, in charge of everything from window cleaning, taxing/insuring/maintaining/driving the car, completing tax returns on line, chopping wood, shopping, cooking, cleaning, gardening and in addition 'on call' 24/7 for help and support.

twiglet77 Sat 07-Oct-17 22:19:04

Well said Theoddbird, I don't understand why some women assume there will always be a man around to sort things out - divorce or widowhood will mean a very steep learning curve.

Iam64 Sat 07-Oct-17 20:17:24

I'd miss him if he left. I'd miss his companionship, seeing family and friends together, planning what we'll do for holidays or special occasions. He's a doting dad and grandfather, he even likes my dogs. Yes, the dogs are mine, if he lived without me, he'd have no dogs, if I lived without him I fear I may have more dogs than sense. I agree with Theoddbird, I'm not fond of spiders or mice but I can manage. I draw the line at rats but have the number of the rat chap so that solves that one.

Lindajane Sat 07-Oct-17 19:50:56

Mine boosts me up when I lack confidence. He tells me I can do things when I think I can’t. He makes me a stronger person.
Yes he’s great at DIY and chores around the house, but I can do that stuff or get someone in to do them.

W11girl Sat 07-Oct-17 04:49:20

Mine takes care of setting up all all things technological, (computers/phones/ipods/ etc and booking holidays, only because I don't have the time as I do everything else!! Too much fiddle faddling when he does anything. Quicker to do it myself. The last time he emptied the bins, he broke his shoulder because he chose to do it in the dark! which added to my workload having to do things he couldn't do for 3 months...so no more bin emptying for him! To be fair he will do any job as long as it involves sitting down and takes weeks to complete. The upside is that he is very kind and would do anything for anybody as long as he is sitting down!! Oh, and he does his own cooking.

Menopaws Sat 07-Oct-17 03:51:14

Well said oddbird and enjoy your boat

Theoddbird Fri 06-Oct-17 22:57:05

I am on my own...if I can't do it...it don't get done. I now, at 66, have bought a narrow boat to live on. Learning new skills all the time. Catching a mouse or spider is simple by the way...glass over card under and out the door. I have learnt the skill of catching a spider in my hand and throwing it out...boat seem to have loads. No mice though...where I used to live I had them. Please ladies...get real...do things...one day you might be on your own.... Sorry I get annoyed when women say they can't go something because it is scary...apologies for that,

Menopaws Fri 06-Oct-17 19:06:39

Mine does sod all but loves me

maddy629 Fri 06-Oct-17 18:51:39

My husband does all the cooking, looks after the grandkids when I don't want to, looks after me when I'm ill, drives me around when we go out, and loves my crazy Spanish family. He also does all the gardening.I love him to the moon and back.

Lazigirl Fri 06-Oct-17 17:35:19

'crunchy' spiders kitty? You're not supposed to eat them ?

SparklyGrandma Fri 06-Oct-17 17:18:04

I just stamp the floor when I see large spiders and that way they keep away from me...

ExDH did no DIY nor household tasks, so there is nothing to miss from the DIY angle. A very good woman friend of mine with strong opinions, said after said exDH had moved out;
'' Boy I can't believe a man actually lived here''.

Meaning he didn't live up to any standards of manly DIY maintenance.

missdeke Fri 06-Oct-17 17:09:36

All alone, so loft is unused, things get stored in the shed or under the bed. Car gets washed in Tesco car park, I bought an electric spider thingy (£30 WASTED!) Bought a spider spray, collected conkers which are lined up along the window sills and bought a spider catcher on a long stick. DIY is minimal, if it requires drilling it's down to the brother in law or son, had the lawn turned into a gravel garden, decorating is done by the landlords so most things are covered. Would be nice to have a companion for trips out though.

sarahellenwhitney Fri 06-Oct-17 17:03:43

Saggi. Wow!
Am I to assume the song 'All you need is love' will not feature grin in your life?