Gransnet forums

Chat

M&S still haven't found the plot they lost....

(173 Posts)
Icyalittle Sat 07-Oct-17 09:26:38

I'm trying to find a plain satin blouse for evening wear. Here's the ensemble that searching M&S brought up: a blouse with sleeves that would dip in the canapés or catch on the door handles. Plus a skirt that seems to have been made from left over bits of the fabric, with a back view that makes even their own model look as wide as a house. My prediction is that each bit will be 29p at the end of the C* season. I keep forlornly checking in at M&S because I so want them to get it right. Am I just not fashionable enough for their buyers' tastes or what?

Chewbacca Mon 16-Oct-17 23:34:32

Could be Marydoll. I've still had no response to the email that I sent to their CEO last week! they don't care what I think grin

Marydoll Mon 16-Oct-17 23:20:53

I have just received an email tonight to join M&S new insight panel! Is it a coincidence?

Chewbacca Mon 16-Oct-17 22:49:31

I spent a good 2 hours in M&S trying to find a pair of Per Una boot cut jeans, regular length, preferably black or indigo. Nada. Per Una "denim" jeans are now very lightweight, not the original heart weight denim and they're very heavy on the lycra too. The results are lightweight, floppy, unstructured jeans that don't feel like jeans at all. And at £39.50, not what I want to pay. But the good news is that Sainsburys Tu bootcut jeans are £14.00 and are perfect! Plus, you get points on your Nectar card too.

Squiffy Mon 16-Oct-17 22:27:11

Suki You’re right! Hopefully, that’s a good sign smile

Suki70 Mon 16-Oct-17 21:16:31

Squiffy I'm pleased your email is different from the reply I had, at least we didn't just get a standard letter.

Jalima1108 Mon 16-Oct-17 19:52:39

Perhaps outlets or 'designer villages' would have some classic evening wear at a fairly reasonable price.

MawBroon Mon 16-Oct-17 19:38:55

I think Bambam has a valid point.
You don’t go to M&S for high end classic evening wear, as a store they are very low-mid-range and working to a price.
I’ve had surprisingly good stuff from them, but for “occasionwear” I would be looking at very different labels and shops - and I am sure, adding a digit to the price of each item.

Jalima1108 Mon 16-Oct-17 19:22:39

I bought a cotton jumper in M&S which I thought would be useful to take with me on a trip overseas. It is cream, pale blue and navy and I thought it would go well with jeans. However, when I wore it, the neckline cut into my neck and was uncomfortable. Too late to take it back now unfortunately.
I also bought a lightweight mac (supposed to fold into the pocket, only works if you are a magician) which leaked.

The top and skirt are truly dreadful Icyalittle!

Bambam Mon 16-Oct-17 18:33:00

Icyalittle, I don't think that you will find a Pure Satin top in M &S.
The blouse that you showed was Polyester, although when I looked at M&s online I did spot a blouse in a Classic style in Cream £27.50 and a couple of other styles and colours.
If you want Satin Classic Blouses, try Jigsaw, they are nearer £100 though.
Hope this helps

Squiffy Mon 16-Oct-17 16:00:17

I’ve had a reply to my email to M & S!!

“Thank you for emailing Steve Rowe a link to Gransnet. As a member of Steve’s personal team he’s asked me to reply on his behalf.

I’m sorry to read some of the comments, with people feeling our current selection of Womenswear isn’t to their tastes.

During the last year we’ve focused more than ever on the quality and sizing of our clothing, as well as the fabrics we use – particularly in Womenswear.

We’ve upgraded over 70% of our fabrics, listened to the customers who found our sizing confusing and inconsistent, and made a number of other changes to improve quality overall.

The feedback you’ve sent will really help us to home in on the things that still need to change, so I’m really grateful you’ve taken the time to get in touch.

Kind regards
Michael Ryan”

Not holding my breath, but at least it was acknowledged!

MawBroon Sun 15-Oct-17 17:58:21

I have just bought a holly berry red funnel neck jumper and a pair of grey straight cut cord trousers. Plus a red and blue checked wool mix scarf for £5 for spending over £35.
Delighted with all three.
Yes there is some rubbish on some stores but there must be SOME demand (actually, look around you at what some people are wearing ) but as with all labels/stores you have to home in on what suits you.
However instead of mourning this British “institution”or even moaning about it, other labels and stores (as they say on the BBC) ARE available.

harrigran Sun 15-Oct-17 12:20:52

Well I am adding M&S food to the list of not to buy. Hadn't shopped for years but decided to buy finger food for family celebration yesterday. Every last item went in the dustbin, it was disgusting and too highly seasoned. We ended up having to make good old fashioned sandwiches.

tonibolt Sat 14-Oct-17 21:39:13

It would be nice to think they would listen. The lack of well made stylish staples has been brought to their attention more than once before.

Leticia Sat 14-Oct-17 06:52:10

I came late to this thread but the opening link is truly dreadful! What were they thinking?!

Leticia Sat 14-Oct-17 06:49:27

The one thing that used to fit they have stopped doing! I could rely on Per Una boot legged jeans and they all seem to be skinny it straight now. Why have boot legged gone?

Leticia Sat 14-Oct-17 06:47:03

I won't hold my breath Suki!
I go in and can't find anything that I want to buy.
I hate it when it looks like a jumble sale with racks and racks of reduced clothing - too tightly jammed together with such a mix of styles and sizes that it puts me off even starting to look.

Suki70 Fri 13-Oct-17 21:52:27

Earlier in the week I emailed Steve Rowe to suggest that he and his women's fashion buyers read the comments on this thread. Yesterday I had a reply from someone in the Executive Office, expressing disappointment that Gransnetters were unable to find the styles they want in M&S stores. She wrote, ' We've therefore focused on listening more closely to the feedback and suggestions we receive and that's going to play a major role in future collections'.
Let's wait and see!

Chewbacca Fri 13-Oct-17 17:28:11

Just to update you, I've had zero response to the email I sent to M&S CEO earlier this week. Pretty much as expected I suppose.

humptydumpty Fri 13-Oct-17 12:19:10

I tried to use M&S online chat earlier in the week to draw their attention to this thread, but got the usual bland 'we take all customer feedback very seriously blah blah blah'; asked if he would be passing on the suggestion higher up, no response; closed chat.

suzied Fri 13-Oct-17 12:00:12

I think viscose is the same as rayon. A woven fibre made from plant cells which is soft and cool. I think maybe it's still called rayon in the US. I'm another fan, viscose summer trousers are really nice to wear. Can't stand polyester though yuk sweaty snd horrible feel.

Oriel Fri 13-Oct-17 11:51:36

I like viscose too. It hangs really well.

Most of the dresses and tops I have from Ghost are viscose they drape beautifully. I like that fact that it is a natural fabric and so doesn't make me too hot.

Witzend Fri 13-Oct-17 06:33:19

One thing I have to say in praise of M&S - at least so much of their stuff is not just machine washable, but tumble-dryable, including pure linen.
I don't often tumble dry nowadays but recently, needing to dry some of Dh's cool weather shirts in a hurry, it was the non M&S ones that said Do Not Tumble Dry.

Colleague of mine once bought a white linen skirt from Gap. It said Dry Clean Only, which is surely daft for anything white. She hand washed it - and it shrank! It wasn't cheap, either. I machine wash (and occasionally tumble dry) all my M&S summer linen, shirts and trousers. Their summer linen is one area where ghastly colours and tacky 'bits' don't seem to have encroached.

mostlyharmless Wed 11-Oct-17 10:29:17

I like viscose too - cool, soft and comfortable and more "natural" than polyester. Good quality fabrics are important.
I live in M&S jeggings in the winter plus their linen trousers for the rest of the year.
But the clothes look very uninspiring this year. I haven't bought anything there for several months which is unusual for me.
Our age group (over50s) must be their main market. They do need to take note of what we are saying.

lemongrove Wed 11-Oct-17 09:51:43

Bought a lovely viscose top in M&S yesterday.blush

lemongrove Wed 11-Oct-17 09:50:07

haporthrosie thanks for reminding about the Somerville and Ross books, over thirty years since I read them, must try and find them online ( or library) wonder if they are still in print? The tv adaptation was nothing like as good as the books.?