Gransnet forums

Chat

I really need to tidy the bathroom cupboard!

(41 Posts)
Katek Tue 10-Oct-17 23:21:08

I narrowly missed spraying deodorant on my head and dry shampoo under my arms this morning! Spotted my mistake at the last moment. Could have been worse-there's an air freshener in there as well. Time for some rearrangement methinks.

loopyloo Sat 14-Oct-17 08:10:51

The thing is I have read Marie Kondo and I have a list of what to gather together first . Just haven't done it.

Hence am now tackling a little bit at a time.

Only have M K on Kindle. Perhaps I should get the actual book.

Did put my DHs ear drops in my eyes once. Must clear out the fridge door shelf!

Maggiemaybe Sat 14-Oct-17 07:55:49

No cabinet here. Two long pine shelves so everything's on display, apart from the ton of extra stuff in the airing cupboard, whose doors only shut when shoved firmly to with both hands and a knee). The trouble is, I buy way too much - my favourites when they're on offer, products my DDs recommend - and at the other end of the scale I can't abide waste, so don't throw any of those containers out till they're empty (and I mean cut in half and scraped out empty). That airing cupboard's on my to do list for today, though tbh it's been on my to do list for many weeks now.

NanKate Sat 14-Oct-17 07:52:52

My intention was to have a dose of Kaolin and Morphine for an upset stomach when in fact I took some Calamine Lotion mixed with water shock I'm still here so obviously I didn't do myself much harm.

maddy629 Sat 14-Oct-17 06:57:42

Katek or is it time for glasses? Sorry, I couldn't resist it. wink

Grannyguitar Fri 13-Oct-17 19:18:08

Mymm, a male friend of mine forgot to wash his hands in between applying 'Deep Heat' and having a pee. He spent the next hour dangling his crown jewels in a sink full of water!

farmgran Fri 13-Oct-17 10:09:29

My DD who is usually really untidy folded all the clothes the Marie Kondo way, all the children's clothes and hers and his are all in neat little rows standing up like soldiers. She's managed to maintain it which is more than I can say, mine lasted for about a month and I'm afraid I've gone back to just shoving things in!

Riverwalk Fri 13-Oct-17 09:46:14

I've just done mine! <smug expression>

It's a not very deep wall-mounted mirrored cabinet, not an under basin jobby, so only took about 15 minutes to chuck, sort and wipe shelves. I also cleaned the dirt and dust on the top - can't remember if that's been done before blush

I'm in all day awaiting a delivery so might also mop the floors!

LouLou21 Fri 13-Oct-17 08:43:41

Myym when I was a child my older brother had a very red sunburnt back and my mother bless her applied a good amount of cooltan only to find it was deep heat both came in a red and white tube. He didn’t half yell!

Saggi Fri 13-Oct-17 06:33:18

Loopy loo
Read a small great book called 'The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying' by Marie Kondo. I got stuck into it on the bus the other day and was so engrossed I missed my stop and had to walk quarter mile back! It's eye-opening ....it actually will change your life ( if you want it changed that is). I'm at the 'categorising' stage at the moment. Apparently trying o tidy one room at a time is disasterous... you get what's called 'rebound'... you must tidy by category!! Read it.

phoenix Thu 12-Oct-17 19:08:11

I had a near miss a while back, squirted Savlon ointment onto my toothbrush, in my defence, both tubes were on the shelf, and I didn't have my glasses on............blush

Cherrytree59 Thu 12-Oct-17 18:31:32

Some chemists will take old medicines that need to be destroyed.

My late DF's meds were handed in to our local pharmacy.

Maimeo Thu 12-Oct-17 18:04:50

Cleared out my "medicine press" last week, found so many out of date tabs and lotions but I now have a sensible amount of basics. Trouble is, what do I do with them? Not supposed to put them in bins I don't think....

Legs55 Thu 12-Oct-17 17:58:23

I do need to sort out my make-up drawer, just far too many nail varnish bottlesgrin

I haven't a lot of storage space so everything has too be ordered.

Wet room so no Bathroom cupboard but a rack under sink which is open so everything is on view, no hoarding there

Christinefrance Thu 12-Oct-17 17:04:17

I'm likegillybob nothing better than a good clean out. I love filling my black bag with rubbish and outdated stuff and seeing a neat tidy space when I have finished. Trouble is I have done all my cupboards so need to find something else. My husband has banned me from his barn/man cave.

NannySparkle Thu 12-Oct-17 16:24:35

My friend put hair remover on her hair thinking it was mousse. She recognised the smell as she blow dried and managed to wash it off before any real damage was done but said it got rid of her split ends lol

Belleringer Thu 12-Oct-17 16:18:07

I needed to sterilise a demijohn (cider making with the fallen apples) and found some baby bottle sterilising tablets in the cupboard. My youngest child was 30 last year! They seemed to work fine, good strong smell of chlorine.

Rosina Thu 12-Oct-17 15:45:53

At one time when rushing about wildly trying to do all the things we young mothers had to do before school I sprayed the front of my hair each morning for about two weeks with Pledge furniture polish - the can was in the bathroom cupboard alongside my hair spray and had somehow worked itself into the front position where the hairspray should have been! I didn't know what I had done until someone remarked that my fringe looked a bit 'strange'. Perhaps I should have tidied the bathroom cupboard a bit more often, even in those hectic days.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 12-Oct-17 15:31:01

Um yes, I've still got an old Vicks Vapour Rub which is a decade past its sell by date. Whoops.
When I opened it it still smells as it should so I guess I'll hang onto it until I've sniffed the last of it. Touch wood, it hasn't killed me yet.

Sheilasue Thu 12-Oct-17 14:56:06

Love a clear out. Often chucking things out of cupboards. The larder had a spring clean a few days ago.
Like to be organised.

Myym Thu 12-Oct-17 13:17:56

I did once mistake a tube of 'Deep Heat' and applied it to very sore sunburnt legs ?Ouch!! I still remember the tears as I sat on the edge of the bath trying to wash it off with cool water!
Then there was the time I applied hair dye that was Ash Blonde. I soon found out that my hair doesn't like the ash dye.... It all went a vivid shade of green ?

inishowen Thu 12-Oct-17 11:54:34

I've stayed in hotels and used the freebie products without knowing what they were! When you're in the shower with no glasses, you just guess whether it's shampoo, conditioner or body wash.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 12-Oct-17 11:38:27

I was in a hurry to get out of the house this morning, applied 'leave in conditioner' to damp hair, proceeded to blow dry, then noticed that the smell was that of Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream hand lotion!!! No time to re-wash, the result beautiful silky fragrant hair, had 3 compliments so far on how soft and shiny it looks. Think I may change my hair regime. Not sure how it happened as my bathroom toiletries are neatly ordered (only room other than dining room which is)

Myym Thu 12-Oct-17 11:23:32

For those asking how to tackle the build up of jobs...For what it's worth, my advice is to try not to look at the mammoth tasks as a whole. Simply decide on which room to tidy and then methodically (an hour or so each day) do all the jobs even if it takes a week per room. This week I have 'done' the kitchen: cupboards/ drawers..defrosted fridge/freezer...cleaned cooker. Trying to deep clean all the rooms at the same time just becomes too daunting and easier to say "sod it" and end up doing none of it.
I'm not totally ocd and I definitely do not spend my whole day cleaning...but I do hate clutter and mess.

radicalnan Thu 12-Oct-17 10:22:28

I spent yesterday re cluttering, got all the crap out and put it all back in different places.

Katek Wed 11-Oct-17 15:44:14

But GN is more fun!!