Gransnet forums

Chat

Mobility Scooters

(9 Posts)
Anniebach Wed 11-Oct-17 12:46:30

I have been given a s/h mobility scooter. Don't know anyone who uses one so-

Can anyone here advise please?

I believe I need to be insured, have looked on line and so much it's confusing for a pea brain.

Recommend a company please?

Charleygirl Wed 11-Oct-17 12:59:25

Annie I am certain that Galen uses one but she is the only GN I know who does.

Anniebach Wed 11-Oct-17 13:05:03

Thank you Charley

midgey Wed 11-Oct-17 13:11:56

Try Fish insurance, that’s the company we use for an electric wheelchair.

Anniebach Wed 11-Oct-17 13:42:34

Thank you midgey, I saw .Fish when I was searching but had never heard of it

Franbern Wed 11-Oct-17 14:44:48

I have a small pavement model mobility scooter. Wonderful when going to exhibitions, it folds into my car and means I can get around. Also, when going out with g.children to zoos, parks, etc. As it is a pavement model (max speed 4 mph), no insurance is legally required.
If you have the larger, more powerful versions, that are designed to go on roads, then Yes, some insurance is needed and it counts as any other road vehicle.

midgey Wed 11-Oct-17 16:27:00

The insurance is not a great deal of money but means you are covered for any accident.

NanaandGrampy Wed 11-Oct-17 16:42:31

You only need insurance for road scooter not the smaller ones that you often see in shopping centres etc. You can get insurance for the other types, its very reasonable and can cover things like theft and breakdown.

www.rica.org.uk/content/mobility offer a wealth of information .

cornergran Wed 11-Oct-17 16:45:24

A recall my Dad having a sort of breakdown insurance with his Annie, in case there was a battery or other malfunction when he was out. Try not to worry, enjoy it, could give you more freedom.