Gransnet forums

Chat

Reversing Gone to Pot

(48 Posts)
sprite66 Fri 13-Oct-17 12:36:31

I was initially excited when I ordered a car with a reversing camera. I thought I would be quicker and more accurate + no nasty neck strain twisting round whilst manoeuvring. How wrong, my reversing has literally gone to pot. Discussing this with much younger male driver I've discussed this with a much younger- 40ish- male driver who also found the same problem. Are we just odd or has anyone else found this?
I'm now training myself not to look at the screen and things are improving.

Nelliemoser Fri 13-Oct-17 12:48:36

I used to have to street park in the town I was working in and I was very good at "reverse in" parking in small places.

That skill just went to pot when I retired. Not enough practice.

J52 Fri 13-Oct-17 13:05:50

Yes I agree sprite66 the guidance lines whilst helpful can be misleading. I have measured the rear one when perfectly parked and it is at least 18 inches from the nearest object. Knowing that does help.
The all round alarms for near objects are also a bit disconcerting, especially when they are informing you of being near a few unavoidable plants along the drive!
DH never looks in the camera, he reverses the old way.

Imperfect27 Fri 13-Oct-17 13:10:36

I have coveted my friend's onboard camera and warning system ... but I guess it would take me a time to adjust to using it. Maybe that is all it needs ... just a little time and trust that the system won't let you down. xx

MawBroon Fri 13-Oct-17 13:21:08

I do have a “beeping” warning system, but I also have the Paw “sharp intake of breath” system, and the one that says sarcastically “Taxi to the kerb Mum ?”from DD
Can’t win.
(Also have scratches and the odd dent ??)

kittylester Fri 13-Oct-17 13:59:58

I love my reversing camera! As j52 says you need to know how much leeway there is. I have beepers too but I still find street parking difficult.

I gave DD1's husband a lift the other day. Their road is fairly narrow and always lined with cars so the front beepers were having a field day and he spent a lot of time trying to work out which door was not properly closed. grin

Luckygirl Fri 13-Oct-17 14:15:40

If I had such a luxury, I think I would just reverse in the same old way but lend an ear to any loud beeps!

Greyduster Fri 13-Oct-17 14:50:47

They do take a while to get used to and I found ours very helpful (DH is an ace reverser - I am rubbish!). The car we bought this year does not have one and I really really miss it!

cornergran Fri 13-Oct-17 14:57:52

maw think youve been in a car with me. grin

kittylester Fri 13-Oct-17 15:12:34

DH's car has a very clear came few a but no beepers - foresee trouble!

Anya Fri 13-Oct-17 15:14:23

What?

Anya Fri 13-Oct-17 15:15:12

I want one of those kitty ?

Alima Fri 13-Oct-17 15:22:35

I don't even try and park. Just find a nice clear space and sort of abandon the car.

Iam64 Fri 13-Oct-17 15:30:17

I have an Italian car that beeps when it senses I'm too close to anything. It knocked my confidence hugely - beep beep beep it'd go in an increasingly Italian dramatic way. Is that racist?

Jane10 Fri 13-Oct-17 15:34:35

Alima! You're not alone!!

Norah Fri 13-Oct-17 16:06:02

I always had a dreadful time to park the car, all the beeps only make it much harder. I, too, find a lovely empty drive thru spot and abandon the car. Alternatively, I ask DH to chauffeur.

kittylester Fri 13-Oct-17 16:59:53

Blessed auto correct on my phone Anya.

DH's car has a lovely clear camera but no beepers - I foresee trouble (backwards!!!!)

DH's car also beeps if you cross the white line, if you go over the speed limit, tells you when to change gear and will stop if it thinks you are going to crash. I hate it!

lemongrove Fri 13-Oct-17 17:02:02

My reversing hasn’t gone to pot....it was always rubbish.?

ninathenana Fri 13-Oct-17 17:25:54

No problems with reversing into spaces. I use the mirror only method, no swivelling in my seat and my car dosen't have a beeper or camera.
I cannot reverse any distance in a straight line though, never have done.

SueDonim Fri 13-Oct-17 19:00:52

My car parks itself! I didn't know it had that facility when I bought it and only discovered it by accident. grin

You still need to check around you, of course, as cameras may not show everything.

hildajenniJ Fri 13-Oct-17 20:07:09

My two children always said I was a better parker than their Dad. Our car has the beeps when you are nearing something behind you, I find it annoying rather than helpful.

PamelaJ1 Fri 13-Oct-17 20:38:32

Well suedonim I commented on a nifty bit of kit in a friends car to be informed that we had it too! We'd only had the car about 3 years!

SueDonim Fri 13-Oct-17 22:08:45

grin PamelaJ1

Marydoll Fri 13-Oct-17 23:08:06

Those parking sensors and the rest in my car just distract me. That constant bleeping when I know I have room in our drive drives me nuts.
DH's state of the art camera is so good, he never parks it straight.?I'm going to stick to my mirrors regardless.

MinniesMum Sat 14-Oct-17 09:54:08

Alima - that is such a wonderful description of the way I park. I read it out to DH who nearly choked on his coffee. Some people can park and some can't - that it the way it is.
anyway he can't make Yorkshire Pudds like mine even if her can reverse park into a postage stamp sized gap.