Gransnet forums

Chat

Why do people give out so much information?

(70 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Sat 14-Oct-17 10:57:57

I have recently returned from holiday and whilst waiting to board the plane two women with clipboards moved along the queue. They were asking questions and if you answered your name was put in a draw to win a fabulous holiday hmm. The two girls in front of me happily answered their questions and by the time they had finished they had the girls names, postcodes, email addresses, whether they used social media, what their jobs were, if they owned their own home and if they had other holidays booked. I refused to answer their questions and they moved on. One of the girls turned to me and said "I suppose that means I am going to get a lot junk emails and post" I said that if she was lucky that would be the only thing that happens. Now this may have been a genuine contest but it was still an exercise in gathering information which would be sold on to anyone. Do other GNs refuse to divulge so much information about themselves, or am I just a suspicious old woman!

Imperfect27 Sat 14-Oct-17 11:05:37

No, I am with you on this one. I would not have given info over either. Part of my DH's job is to advise people about being scammed / not giving out personal info. NEVER give to a complete stranger is a simple ground rule.

Nonnie Sat 14-Oct-17 11:27:54

I realise this isn't your point but I don't believe these contests are fair. We won some holidays after going to a luxury travel fair , why? Because of an anomaly in the post code system which meant we had our own for a three bedroom house in an area where most of the other homes were very expensive. It was very clear that they had not chosen randomly but had picked people they thought had a lot of money and might appreciate the luxury and book again. We didn't have a lot of money but did appreciate the luxury! We don't live there now grin

Oldwoman70 Sat 14-Oct-17 11:36:45

I agree with you Nonnie, I don't believe these "contests" are fair or in many cases even genuine. I was travelling through Alicante airport - how many thousands of people were being asked the same questions to "win" one holiday?

maryeliza54 Sat 14-Oct-17 12:02:03

My guess would be that the ‘holiday’ was just the incentiv3 to answer the questions. The people would only be there with the airports authority so I imagine the airport commissioned them to collect the data for their own marketing purposes. Agree I wouldn5 have answered any of the questions

maryeliza54 Sat 14-Oct-17 12:02:52

Oh just seen it wasn’t a UK airport so no idea!

Oldwoman70 Sat 14-Oct-17 13:08:49

maryeliza54 I have never encountered these questioners in a UK airport, although it may happen. I think they work for market research companies who pay the airport to allow them access. My main concern was how happy these girls were to give out information to a complete stranger just because they had a clipboard and they thought they may "win" a holiday!

M0nica Sat 14-Oct-17 16:33:27

If I complete surveys on GN where there is a prize to bewon. I do not put my name or email on the end so cannot enter the draw for the prize.

grannyactivist Sat 14-Oct-17 17:02:29

My son's then girlfriend answered these types of questions for the option to win a brand new car - which she duly won! My son had refused to answer!

Smithy Sat 14-Oct-17 18:46:16

I was once coming back from a holiday with a friend when the air crew gave out these type of questionnaires. The prize was a holiday and we were given one sheet for the two of us. I refused to fill it in, my friend glared at me, snatched the form and snappily said ''its no big deal - give it to me''.
Some people are just naïve. ( and some are just grumps like me!)

minxie Sun 15-Oct-17 09:05:01

Or maybe a timeshare thing to.I caught my partner giving out our details. I soon dragged him off and put him right.

Tessa101 Sun 15-Oct-17 09:05:33

Definitely agree with you on this one, even when house phone rings and the caller asks can you confirm name and postcode I always say “no you called me”. I’m never rude just firm.

Kim0612 Sun 15-Oct-17 09:07:39

We did this once and yes you do get a holiday but it was all to do with time share, needless to say we didn’t take the holiday.

inishowen Sun 15-Oct-17 09:11:13

I think the contest was probably genuine but they are also gathering info to target sales. I once opened my front door to a woman who said "Do you have a mortgage?" I said it was none of her business and shut the door.

Witzend Sun 15-Oct-17 09:11:53

I wouldn't have given the info, either. They just want to pigeonhole you for marketing purposes. Oh, this person is X age with very likely Y sort of income, very likely interested in A, B, C...
Local shops inc. Asda sometimes ask for my postcode. I always say no, but nicely, since it's hardly the checkout operator's fault. All a bit big brother-ish IMO.
I am currently on hols abroad, and still find it a bit creepy that 'they' know what country I'm in and send those 'banner' ads accordingly!

Hm999 Sun 15-Oct-17 09:17:21

Recent contact with the call centre for an extensive company meant I gave them address, landline and mobile. Each time I contacted them to chivvy them about as to when their engineer would call, I dutifully answered the 3 above pieces of information (I assumed for security). Each time they 'didn't appear to have my email address' (so clearly not security). Each time I asked if we could just get on with giving me a date for visit.

These folk have my bank details, address, landline, mobile number. I have no concept of how good their computer security is.

IngeJones Sun 15-Oct-17 09:18:07

One of the things that could have happened is they could immediately have called back to their contacts with the names and addresses of those people who were not at home right now, so their accomplices knew who it was safe to burgle.

Rosina Sun 15-Oct-17 09:26:06

We were cornered while out walking on holiday in Portugal and invited to enter a draw for a holiday. Amazingly we 'won' - we had given only our names and where we we staying - and invited to a champagne reception in a big hotel to claim our prize. There were dozens of others there, and the 'holiday' was available to those who signed up for a timeshare.

grannygranby Sun 15-Oct-17 09:27:59

When the service or offer is free then you are the product. Your data is what pays for these free services e.g. Facebook and gransnet. So decide what is worth it. I use both and am fully aware my data is used. I don't accept cold calls any more than I read all my mail. It's the way of funding platforms which are very expensive. They offer a service you offer them your details it's not scary just decide what is worth it. I get a lot of catalogues of clothes and design and animals ... some are quite good. Rest in recycle bin. I always tick prefer by post or email rarely phone as I find that more intrusive. You can give an old defunct mob number if you have to give one and You are not going to be texted when the parcel is on the way. (Which I love) It's just the same old market research updated. It's just algorithms.

Coconut Sun 15-Oct-17 09:30:56

So many people have been badly hit by various scams, plus this is telling others your house is probably empty for 2 weeks. Always best to follow your gut instinct.

holdingontometeeth Sun 15-Oct-17 09:34:27

Yes, I agree with IngeJones.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 15-Oct-17 09:46:10

I think that you are right to be suspicious as there are a lot of scams out there, many of which are very sophisticated - an easy trap for even the clever to fall into.
When these youngsters get to our age they'll hopefully have become just as wary as we are while hopefully not falling into the worst traps.

Witzend Sun 15-Oct-17 09:47:57

Re timeshares - back in the late 70s/early 80s my folks were invited to a timeshare sales thing, relatively new then. Everyone attending was promised a free clock/radio - these were quite expensive at the time.
Since they wanted one, they went along, with no intention of buying a timeshare. They stayed till the bitter end - my father in particular making sure to consume as much of the free tea/coffee/biscuits as possible, and when worked on by salespeople he even told them that they'd only come for then clock radio!
Which the sales staff were finally obliged to give them, through gritted teeth, so to speak.
I have since heard of the psychology they used to sell these things - one of the last resorts being, 'Well, of course if you can't AFFORD it...'
They hadn't reckoned with my folks...
Still amuses me to think of their ' 'fun day out'.

SOF2016 Sun 15-Oct-17 09:48:37

Totally agree!

curlilox Sun 15-Oct-17 09:49:53

I make it a rule that I never give any information or answer any questions asked by anyone I don't know I can trust. Especially not on the phone.