Gransnet forums

Chat

David Dimbleby

(17 Posts)
grammargran Wed 18-Oct-17 11:45:47

I know David Dimbleby’s come under fire before but I don’t think this particular trait has been mentioned and for me it’s just about the most irritating thing about him (and the list is endless). Has anyone else noticed how he addresses all the male members as ‘sir’ when he’s pointing to them and the female members as ‘that woman there’, or words to that effect, but always with the word ‘woman’ in them. It’s just soooooooo rude and it’s all I’m noticing - help!!

Tegan2 Wed 18-Oct-17 12:01:51

I hadn't noticed because I avoid anything he's on for fear of throwing a brick through my television! Having said that, I'll make a point of watching QT [for a short while].

merlotgran Wed 18-Oct-17 12:07:36

Now you come to mention it, grammargran grin

I usually shout at DD for interrupting.

Nonnie Wed 18-Oct-17 12:38:25

What should he call them? A while back on here a man was pilloried for calling women ladies so perhaps he can't win whatever he says? Should he call them maam or madam?

gillybob Wed 18-Oct-17 13:01:09

I agree with Tegan and avoid watching anything with him in it. Horrid man.

grammargran Wed 18-Oct-17 13:28:32

I’m quite happy for them to be called women, Nonnie, but what have the men done to warrant a ‘sir’? Why can’t he call them men?

Nonnie Wed 18-Oct-17 13:43:51

No idea gramma. I don't care very much either! When I don't like something I tell the TV and DH what I think then switch off!

Elegran Wed 18-Oct-17 14:09:52

It is a matter of equivalents - if a man is "sir" then a woman should be "ma'am". If a woman is "That woman there," then a man should be "That man there".

It is quite simple. "Sir" implies respect and humility in addressing him. "That woman there", doesn't.

Elegran Wed 18-Oct-17 14:15:12

If he were in the services, he could try addressing a female officer with "That woman there", and see what response he gets. Oh, I see now - all the men he is speaking to must be officers, but not any of the women.

Imperfect27 Wed 18-Oct-17 14:28:22

I like DD.

He sometimes says ' Madam' and 'That man in the ....tie/shirt there ... '

Surprisingly enough, I haven't kept a tally, but it has never struck me as uneven.smile

jollyg Wed 18-Oct-17 14:49:30

The trait seems to run through Dimbley men.

I shout most at the radio when juniorD is on Question time, And there is a lot of Harrumphing there too.

If I could be bothered, to time it, can't, he wastes more time uming and aching.

Could get at least 2 more questions in.

BBC and its cronies, and we pay for their bloated salaries.

Tegan2 Wed 18-Oct-17 14:57:34

I think DD has been well past his use by date for a long time but probably has friends in high places. Another bugbear of mine is interviewers that won't let the interviewee answer the question without constantly interrupting; some of them just like the sound of their own voice too much.

Moocow Wed 18-Oct-17 14:59:36

Now I know what I'm watching later... QT on catch up with the subtitles and pen and paper!

Imperfect27 Wed 18-Oct-17 15:03:10

And l will have to watch h on Thursday now ...

NotTooOld Wed 18-Oct-17 15:31:08

I think DD does quite a good job on QT. I don't see why he shouldn't say 'that woman, there' etc. What's wrong with that? I would object if he said 'that lady, there'. I'm not a lady, never have been, but I'll always be a woman. He does also frequently say 'the man in the pink shirt' and sometimes refers to men as 'sir' and women as 'madam', so he's not discriminating. By the way, there was a picture of his ex-wife, Jocelyn Dimbleby, in The Oldie recently. Apparently they were divorced 20 years ago. She's 73, I think, but still very glamorous.

eazybee Wed 18-Oct-17 17:50:33

I stopped watching D.D. some time ago because of his too frequent interruptions, and his questioning of the panel; that is what the audience is there for and want to do. His brother Jonathan behaves in exactly the same way on 'Any Questions'. It is quite deliberate, I watched it being recorded and the producer engineered the programme to suit whatever BBC bias had priority at the time. She sat on the stage with the panel and used a whole range of hand gestures to instruct JD to carry on talking, interrupt, end questioning, whatever. But I did notice the use of 'woman' as opposed to 'sir' and thought it rude.
Don't bother to listen/watch either now.

Iam64 Wed 18-Oct-17 17:56:26

I like DD, he manages to chair a group of disparate egos well. I asked a question once, after he pointed and said "you, that woman at the back". I'd no problem with that description, I was indeed that woman at the back with her hand up.
I do feel we lack a word like "ma'am" or 'madam' In America, women are respectfully called "ma'am". Like NotTooOld, I'm not a lady and much prefer to b e called a woman.