Gransnet forums

Chat

Guide dog poop

(17 Posts)
MissAdventure Sat 21-Oct-17 17:26:40

Its part of the training apparently, so no excuse.

Hopefully64 Sat 21-Oct-17 17:22:37

Guide dog don't owners don't have to pick dog poo .why you might ask
Cos they can't see ........

BBbevan Sat 21-Oct-17 07:51:09

We have many people near here who use those motorised disability scooters. They sit on them with their dogs running along beside, often on quite a long lead. If the dog stops to poo, I have never seen one person get off their scooter to clear it up. Perhaps their disability means they can't. But it is awful to see mounds of poo along paths used by children and the public in general.

harrigran Fri 20-Oct-17 08:34:08

I use to see a blind lady in our town with her guide dog, it used to accompany her to work and back again. I never saw it poo in the street until one day it must have been caught short and it stopped and crouched down. The lady realised what was happening and went into her shoulder bag and produced a carrier bag, bent down and picked up. The dog stayed in position, she ran her hand down the back thus locating the offending item.

kittylester Fri 20-Oct-17 07:52:07

I'm with GK. It's weird that I could pick up our dog's poos but could not pick up another dog's poo with out replacing it with a pile of sick.

It seems quite an odd situation.

Iam64 Fri 20-Oct-17 07:39:16

I always have those biodegradable pooh bags in my pocket when walking my dogs. Perhaps you could offer this woman a plastic bag (any would do) and point out where her dog left its toilet remains.

grannyactivist Fri 20-Oct-17 01:15:38

She needs The Wonderful Man walking behind her; I swear he picks up every blasted dog poo in the area when he's out with our dog. I think he's just got so used to picking up other people's litter that he sees it as more of the same. hmm

Grannyknot Thu 19-Oct-17 21:43:31

iam I'm now wondering too. All I know is this woman walked a short distance away from the dog, and the dog had a body harness on like those worn by Guide Dogs, the woman is visually impaired. Perhaps I'm mistaken and it isn't an official Guide Dog, but I shall check if I see them again.

Iam64 Thu 19-Oct-17 21:21:59

If this is a Guide Dog, I don't understand your comment that "she walked on and called the dog and it caught up with her". Working guide dogs are always on a harness, walking next to their handler.
As others have said, guide dogs are trained to toilet in a designated place.

NanaandGrampy Thu 19-Oct-17 17:33:10

I understood that part of the training when you got a guide dog was how to clear up after it ( I seem to remember it was sliding a hand down the dogs back as it did it’s business and being in the right position when the dog finished it’s business ).

But as a dog owner myself , I’d just offer to help. Doesn’t worry me .

MissAdventure Thu 19-Oct-17 17:30:42

I think I would have to say something, as cowardly as I am. I find dog poop absolutely foul.

Grannyknot Thu 19-Oct-17 17:20:11

mawbroon I do feel sympathy for people who suffer from a disability, I was merely pondering the question.

I don't pick up dog pooh, I simply can't, I retch all over the place. I don't have a dog now, I do like dogs though, and have had dogs in the past.

I'm getting answers to my question, anyway. I didn't think about guide dogs being trained about where to pooh, so now I wonder why this dog is forgetting its training. It looks quite old.

millymouge Thu 19-Oct-17 17:04:28

My friend is a guide dog puppy walker. Her pups are always trained to poo at home or in a designated place only.

MawBroon Thu 19-Oct-17 17:01:20

Maybe the sighted among us could help if able (it wouldn’t be the first dog poo I have bagged up from an unknown dog) or at least show some sympathy and exercise some patience with someone suffering from a disability we do not share hmm

SueDonim Thu 19-Oct-17 16:57:31

I think that's pretty unusual for a guide dog. I know someone with such a dog and the dog is trained to 'go' at home or in an appropriate place where it can end cleaned up.

Maybe the Guide Dog people need to know about this, for some retraining?

Alima Thu 19-Oct-17 16:36:24

Yes it is Gk and I have never realised that before. One would think sighted dog walkers would help out, even just sighted people if they have the necessary bag. No big deal is it? I suppose if someone advocated shooting all guide dogs then this problem would go away.

Grannyknot Thu 19-Oct-17 16:27:33

I was at an exercise class in a local park this morning when a woman came walking past accompanied by her guide dog, that proceeded to squat and leave a Labrador mountain of pooh. She walked on and called to the dog and it caught up with her. (I think she was partially sighted).

I can't pick up dog pooh without a serious bout of gagging, but I did wonder "Um, does no one pick that up?" I said it out loud and was told "Oh, that happens often, she's here most days".

It's a problem though, not so?