Gransnet forums

Chat

So why mention it?

(20 Posts)
kittylester Sat 21-Oct-17 08:36:43

I nipped to our local Waitrose yesterday and, as it was pickling down, I looked for a space close to the entrance and found one between a mini and a big 4x4 type thing with a woman in the driving seat, swung in, switched off and got out.

I was then confronted by the very irate woman from the 4x4 who yelled at me, 'you almost hit my f***ing car!' confused

Iam64 Sat 21-Oct-17 08:42:08

That made me smile kittylester. How come so many of the people driving those huge 4 x 4's seem to think because they take up more room than most other folks, they're entitled to be unpleasant, indeed of verbally aggressive to lesser mortals.

Riverwalk Sat 21-Oct-17 08:46:38

I hope you replied but I f***ing didn't, did I?!

M0nica Sat 21-Oct-17 08:50:21

So how does that differ from any parking event where you park between two cars? You go close to the adjacent cars as you turn in but do not hit them as you do so. I have no compunction in describing the other driver as a silly woman with more hair than wit.

vampirequeen Sat 21-Oct-17 08:58:15

It's big car syndrome.

Anya Sat 21-Oct-17 09:00:32

Riverwalk you’ve taken the words out of my mouth!

kittylester Sat 21-Oct-17 09:02:03

I think I just stood there with my mouth open! shock

Anya Sat 21-Oct-17 09:04:37

Goes to show what a nice, polite person you are Kitty

loopyloo Sat 21-Oct-17 09:10:58

Was she in the car waiting to pull out ? And you made it more difficult?
No excuse.
Trouble is confronting this behaviour can make things worse.
But this is not what you expect in a Waitrose car park.

loopyloo Sat 21-Oct-17 09:12:41

Although, their customers do tend to drive more expensive cars. Perhaps people are more polite in a Tesco car park.Or a Lidl.

MawBroon Sat 21-Oct-17 09:14:26

Those 4x4’s do take up more space in a parking bay too, not infrequently fail to park in the middle and can be hard to see past when reversing out.
I have a fear of parking too close to the car on “my” side in case I hit it when opening my door and of parking too close to the other side in case the other driver does that to me.
Basically, hate parking!,
Well done you for not hitting her though!

kittylester Sat 21-Oct-17 09:30:08

I parked next to the passenger door and she was getting out to go into Waitrose. I did give her 'the look' each time I passed her in the aisles - my kids say I'm good at the look, I think I inherited it from my mum! grin

MawBroon Sat 21-Oct-17 09:42:09

Don’t think for one nanosecond Waitrose shoppers are more polite especially in the car park.
I had an absolute earful of abuse one Saturday when I refused to give way to someone driving the “wrong” way round the one way system at our local Waitrose.
As an ex Secondary teacher the “f” and “c” words passed me by but not being called OLD (as in f-ing OLD c * )
angry and sad in equal measure.

mostlyharmless Sat 21-Oct-17 09:57:58

Our nearest Waitrose is always full of huge 4x4s that make parking for everyone else very difficult. Difficult to park next to and hard to see around.

I definitely think Waitrose car parks need to be designed with bigger parking spaces!

merlotgran Sat 21-Oct-17 10:55:41

Aldi parking spaces are ridiculously narrow. I drive a 4x4 but like to think I'm an experienced and considerate driver. If DH is with me I'll happily wait for one of the very few disabled spaces to become vacant (nobody hangs around in Aldi!)

A few months ago I was trying to reverse out of a disabled space but was blocked by a rather ridiculous looking man in a flash open topped sports car (think Jimmy Edwards)

He was waiting for his wife and perish the thought she might have to walk a few yards with her trolley!

DH was not amused and shouted something not terribly polite through the window just as wifey appeared on the scene. She went ballistic!!

The funny thing was nobody else in the car park, including 'Jimmy Edwards' had seen or heard DH (saints be praised) All they saw was this demented woman gesticulating, swearing and threatening to punch the bonnet of our car.

I waited patiently with a serene smile on my face until they drove off but I leave DH at home now!!

Bambam Sat 21-Oct-17 13:50:51

That had me chuckling merlotgran!! "Jimmy Edwards"!
Hilarious! smile

lemongrove Sat 21-Oct-17 17:46:33

Merlot ?

Iam64 Sat 21-Oct-17 18:46:23

The point about the size of parking spaces is well made. Modern cars are bigger than those we drove in our youth aren't they. Our underground car park is a bit of a nightmare because the spaces are so tight and the cars scarcely fit in them.

M0nica Sat 21-Oct-17 19:01:57

Iam64 You are right. Have you seen the size of the modern 'Mini', especially the 4x4 version ?confused

teifi Sat 21-Oct-17 20:04:13

I never shop in our local Waitrose because of the rude pushy attitude of some of the users of their car park. I have never once had a problem in Tesco, where customers (and staff I'm afraid) seem far more friendly & polite..