Gransnet forums

Chat

Following the “ Chr*&£#@s thread, who is going to be doing EXACTLY what they want?

(15 Posts)
Daddima Mon 23-Oct-17 15:56:26

I loved our Christmasses when the children were small, as people just popped in when they liked, and took whatever was going.
This all changed when various elderly relatives were left on their own, so we felt we had to invite them. In some cases, this was no chore, but others were more demanding. We are now free to do what we like, so a wee spell away from what I see as festive overkill is exactly what we choose to do.

Charleygirl Mon 23-Oct-17 15:59:06

If I fancy a boiled egg I can have that-it is now up to me because I am on my own and happy about it.

ninathenana Mon 23-Oct-17 16:27:21

This year is different as we have been invited to stay with friends. Other years and probably next year too I have longed to go to a Warners hotel, and be entertained and cooked for instead of the three of us sitting watching boring old films on TV.
DS still lives at home and would not enjoy that and I could not leave him on his own.

Maggiemaybe Mon 23-Oct-17 16:47:30

Yes, me! Planning and cooking and organising games for 12, including three under-5s. I love Christmas, and the bones of all my family, so wouldn’t have it any other way. ?

Maggiemaybe Mon 23-Oct-17 16:49:09

Oops, four under 5s. I’m not sure which one I forgot there. blush

Katek Mon 23-Oct-17 16:50:54

Not me-we're all over the place to see assorted grandchildren and elderly Fil. I'd quite like to stay at home and have everyone come to us, but it's never going to work out like that. We have been away to a hotel for New Year a few times and thoroughly enjoyed it.

M0nica Mon 23-Oct-17 16:56:28

I will have Christmas just as I like it, at home, with both children, DDiL, and 2DGC. It will be chaos.

Next year and last year, Christmas is quiet, DH, DD and me, as DS and family are with DDiL's family, but come to us for the new year.

I just love Christmas and anyway I celebrate, it s fine with me.

lemongrove Mon 23-Oct-17 16:59:34

Our Christmas will be the same as usual, at home, and all the ADC and DGC here with us.Happy chaos, with a lot of crumbs to hoover up later on ( if we have any energy left)?

judypark Mon 23-Oct-17 17:20:34

Slightly off topic. Years ago my parents always came to us for C. Day. One year Mum asked if she could ask an elderly friend to share our dinner as the lady had no family. Of course I agreed.
Big mistake. Within five minutes it was clear that Phylis was no child lover ( we had three under fives). She tut-tutted at the chaos and noise and glared at the children.
Dinner fared no better, withering looks and pursed lips despite plying her with sherry.
After the meal she loudly announced that she would like a nap after the Queen's Speech, fat chance of that with three excited children running about!
It was such a relief when Dad ran her home at four O clock.

Sunlover Mon 23-Oct-17 17:33:39

We are going away to South Africa this year. This is the first year we have not had elderly parents to take into consideration. Our four children are all with partners and it will be our last Christmas without grandchildren as my younger daughter is expecting in February. So, we are having a once in a lifetime holiday. Can't wait.

BBbevan Mon 23-Oct-17 18:10:03

Me. Hurray. All the family coming and staying for a while.

BlueBelle Mon 23-Oct-17 18:22:34

I just wait for it to be over Kids and grandkids scattered afraid I really dislike Christmas now I ll put my flak jacket on

cornergran Mon 23-Oct-17 18:29:30

No flak jacket needed from here, bluebelle, I totally understand.

Anniebach Mon 23-Oct-17 18:33:12

I will be on my own, not sure if there will be mass in the church in this parish this year. I will just do what I want to do. Watch Larkrise to Candleford and Ballykissangel so as to avoid to programmes .

silverlining48 Mon 23-Oct-17 18:36:43

Its been a difficult year. So far Christmas has yet to be discussed....so not sure what, if anything, is happening. The only gift i would wish for is good health, not just vfor my family, but for everyone elses too. If only.