Gransnet forums

Chat

I’ve just spent most of the afternoon trying to pay my car tax

(31 Posts)
PamelaJ1 Tue 24-Oct-17 18:31:53

I keep getting as far as the page where I am given the option of paying by debit, credit or Amex card.
I’ve tried on the big computer and my I-pad and now I’m having a glass of wine to get over the trauma!
I’ll try again later, I have sent them feedback on how I found the experience.
Anyone else had this problem?

mumofmadboys Thu 26-Oct-17 08:04:20

I find doing it over the phone very straightforword. Automated system

bikergran Wed 25-Oct-17 21:07:31

silly me!! should have read all the thread lol glad your sorted smile

bikergran Wed 25-Oct-17 21:06:18

Sorry only just come back no don't remember any icons sorry..just paid by direct debit (couldn't} afford all of it all at once) Put in bank details and then it said first payment was so much to be taken out on such a date then I rec 2 emails 1 saying my car was taxed and another that DD had been set up.

"are you sure you was on the correct site"!

Legs55 Wed 25-Oct-17 20:52:14

I used to do mine on-line but since DD system came in I now pay by DD so no need to worry about renewal dates. I always had renewals through the post before I went on to DD. I never had any problem with on-line service.

adnil1949 Wed 25-Oct-17 20:44:32

You need a current mot and insurance to get car tax online

ninathenana Wed 25-Oct-17 17:46:33

It can only be done at a main PO I believe, which in our case is 10 miles away and often has a queue right out the front door.

quizqueen Wed 25-Oct-17 16:30:00

Would it have been such a problem to pop to the post office to renew it? People complain about them shutting down branches but then they don't support them enough!

craftynan Wed 25-Oct-17 16:24:59

Welshwife - I always pay online and I’ve had a letter. Has your daughter moved and not changed her address? If not I’d be inclined to take it up with DVLA

Ellie Anne Wed 25-Oct-17 16:03:44

I don’t usually have a problem but one time it didn’t go through

ninathenana Wed 25-Oct-17 15:45:44

I had a reminder in the post and renewed on line on Monday in a matter of minutes.
My M.O.T. was done on 21st Oct. so that must have registered on their site quickly.

Alima Wed 25-Oct-17 14:35:40

I find paying using my iPad very quick and easy, never had a pro blemish.

Tessa101 Wed 25-Oct-17 14:08:29

Yes did mine last week took matter of minutes on my iPad. Make sure you are reading all the fine print and ticking the boxes as you go.

Kim19 Wed 25-Oct-17 13:26:17

Can't say I've ever had any major problem with this. Much prefer it to personal. Keep a lookout for red print when you get stuck. Often indicates what the 'unhappy' section is. May be wine will have an adverse effect in this case!!!

sarahellenwhitney Wed 25-Oct-17 13:10:01

Two years ago what with the increase in my car insurance and the fact I no longer did the mileage as my friend and I car shared I gave up my beloved all singing and dancing Fiat. I downsized which not only did I pay less insurance but my car tax was £20 py.
To pay this tax monthly showed but a few pence difference hmm?why not. Call me a scrooge but as my late mum would have said a pound in the pocket is worth two in the hand.

Sheilasue Wed 25-Oct-17 12:12:47

Oh god drove me potty so stressed in the end h paid it at the post office

Tegan2 Wed 25-Oct-17 12:04:46

Welshwife; this was always going to happen with the new system and it's so unfair. As ever, it's probably the ones who have made a genuine mistake that will end up paying the fine.

PamelaJ1 Wed 25-Oct-17 11:18:58

My reminder came by post.

auntbett Wed 25-Oct-17 10:18:05

Pay it over the phone - it's automated and dead easy.

Welshwife Wed 25-Oct-17 10:17:13

Did you ladies get a reminder about the tax renewal by letter or email? I ask this as DGD has a little Fiat 500 which only costs £30 tax - this year she had no reminder whereas last year she had both email and letter - came home one day to find car had been clamped with a huge sticker on it declaring it was for non payment of tax! She was mortified - cost her £270 to get the clamp off plus of course the £30 tax.
The glue on the sticker is proving very difficult to remove completely. As she said had she known about the tax being due she would have paid it - has always done so. I have told her to write a reminder on next year's calendar in big letters on the month before it is due.

pamdixon Wed 25-Oct-17 10:11:59

I do it over the phone too - never had a problem I must admit!

Morgana Wed 25-Oct-17 10:04:02

I renew by phone and speak to that nice computer. Much easier than hunting out the documents and queueing at the post office!

Nelliemoser Wed 25-Oct-17 09:17:31

Mine is on a standing order.

TheReadingRoom Wed 25-Oct-17 08:50:06

I do ours over the phone - I find it quicker.

PamelaJ1 Wed 25-Oct-17 08:19:42

Done it in a flash this morning. Part of the payment page was missing yesterday!?

PamelaJ1 Tue 24-Oct-17 18:51:18

Did you get a series of icons to click on biker?
I got right to the end where I had to choose how to pay- by direct debit or card then after clicking card I got the card icons then nothing. I will say that I have used the site on previous years with no problems.
Only a little glass loopy, I’m trying to cut down?