Gransnet forums

Chat

Balloons and Bunting......Ooooooe r!

(24 Posts)
merlotgran Wed 25-Oct-17 11:58:16

The postman has just handed me a package. I didn't have to sign for it and as I'm expecting a couple of things from eBay I took it inside and opened it.

I have received a bag of balloons and another bag of bunting! confused

I definitely haven't ordered anything like this and I can't think why they've been sent to me. There is no delivery or advice note, no name of supplier and no return address.

Anyone else received balloons and bunting in the post this morning?

Day6 Wed 25-Oct-17 12:26:27

Let's hope it's a happy omen Merlot and you have something nice to celebrate soon! smile

Very strange though. I do hope you'll be able to make use of them.

I received four shelf brackets through the post a couple of years ago. No idea who sent them and there was no message inside. The address, mine, on the padded envelope was hand-written. They looked hand crafted and made to order. I asked around the neighbourhood, spoke to my immediate neighbours too and left them on the hall table for months but nobody claimed them.

They are now holding up shelves in my daughter's shed.

lemongrove Wed 25-Oct-17 14:52:11

I once had a very nice tablecloth delivered to our house in much the same way.Asked around the neighbours, asked all relatives and friends etc. If they had sent it, but apparently no! Still use the table cloth today, no doubt it was expensive, and a mystery.?

lemongrove Wed 25-Oct-17 14:55:51

Put them up, anyway Merlot they will cheer the place up.???????????????????????????

SueDonim Wed 25-Oct-17 15:19:43

I need some balloons and bunting, Merlotgran! Can you send them to me via the Gransnet ether? grin

merlotgran Wed 25-Oct-17 15:29:57

I must buy a lottery ticket this weekend in case Day6 is right. grin

MawBroon Wed 25-Oct-17 15:36:37

Party time round merlot’s, come on girls, BYOB!

merlotgran Wed 25-Oct-17 15:58:42

shock shock shock

I've been reading about a certain visit to Norfolk!!!

Archers fans might be impressed by the fact that I did check to see if there was a return address to a certain R Titchener esq., but sadly this is cheap old plastic stuff.

Just my luck because hand stitched gingham bunting would look lovely in our mobile home.

Nonnie Wed 25-Oct-17 16:35:44

You didn't get a whole pile of party bag fillers a few months ago did you? They never arrived despite the seller telling me they had sent them twice and eventually I got Amazon to give me a refund.

merlotgran Wed 25-Oct-17 16:44:50

Sorry, no I didn't Nonnie but I'm wondering who is waiting for a delivery of balloons and bunting.

I'll see if the playgroup or youth club in the village would like to take them off my hands.

Willow500 Thu 26-Oct-17 12:19:09

Many (many!) years ago a set of saucepans arrived at our house. At the time there was a lot of publicity about unsolicited goods and how you had to pay so as I'd no idea where they'd come from I returned them. Some months later I had a letter from an uncle asking if I'd received the wedding present he'd sent! We'd been married 2 years by the time the pans arrived - I never did tell him as he was quite a cantankerous character! It also reminds me of the day we arrived home to find a bag of food hanging on the back door handle - sausages, fish fingers and other such items. Again we'd no idea where they'd come from so my husband took them to the police station where he was told it wasn't really their remit to take in food and to take it home again. A couple of days later we discovered his mother had sent it via his young sister - not being home she'd just left if hanging on the handle - we've never quite lived that one down either grin

meandashy Thu 26-Oct-17 12:38:38

I came home to an old bread bag full of 'grass cuttings' on doormat one day. I was extremely baffled. They were rather pungent. Turns out my friend had delivered some wild garlic! Sadly I'm intolerant to it but that's a different story....

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 26-Oct-17 12:46:41

At a previous house I regularly received a free sample of nappies through the post which was puzzling. I didn't have young children and the previous occupants were well beyond child bearing age. I never found out who'd repeatedly ordered them.
Then one day a knock at the door and a young mother with a child clutching a balloon and a birthday gift. They'd been invited to a party which she thought was at my house. I had to say that they'd got the wrong address.
"Oh, isn't this 27 F...... Road?"
"Yes, it is but, um, I live here, sorry."
I had to send them away but had no idea where they should have gone and it remains a puzzle to this day.

merlotgran Thu 26-Oct-17 13:27:01

I've solved the mystery of the bunting!!

A few days ago I ordered some bamboo socks from Amazon having read about them on another thread. According to the tracking bit they were delivered yesterday.....No they weren't!!

A quick phone call and my money has been refunded. Apparently the sock shop doesn't send replacements so I need to re-order (not from them I won't)

What I want to know is why did they send balloons and bunting instead of socks?? confused

merlotgran Thu 26-Oct-17 13:28:00

PS. They told me not to bother returning the unwanted items.

I wasn't going to. grin

Amira15 Thu 26-Oct-17 17:07:42

The strangest thing I ever received was a massive hamper of meat. I arrived home from work to find it on my doorstep. It didn't have my name on just my address. I realised this was someone's Christmas dinner and went door to door asking people if it belonged to them. Luckily it was still frozen and packed in a kind of dry ice. I rang the company who didn't seem bothered to investigate and told me I was welcome to keep it! The only problem was we are all veggies so my daughter distributed it to her school friends families.

FarNorth Thu 26-Oct-17 17:44:12

That's ridiculous, merlot.

chrissyh Thu 26-Oct-17 19:48:21

A couple of months ago I received a tennis racquet which was addressed to me. No invoice or return address so just had to keep it. As I don't know anyone who plays I just put it in a cupboard - shame it wasn't something useful to us.

HurdyGurdy Thu 26-Oct-17 20:05:22

Hope it's not the start of this !!!

www.thetimes.co.uk/article/whos-sent-me-all-this-tat-answer-chinese-brushers-h2xwdcmq3

Anmarr Thu 26-Oct-17 21:30:47

I too have received balloons and bunting Merlotgran and, like you I had ordered bamboo stocks from Amazon. In fact, my post would be a mirror image of yours re phone call and return of money.

I am returning to BAM for my husbands bamboo socks as he loves them. I also bought myself some and they are lovely.

merlotgran Thu 26-Oct-17 21:39:12

I reckon they have a serious glitch with their computer ordering system then, Anmarr

Glad I'm not the only one.

Grandmama Thu 26-Oct-17 22:07:29

We once found a package of Devon clotted cream on our doorstep. We didn't know anyone living in Devon nor anyone on holiday there. Never solved the mystery.

chickenlegs Thu 26-Oct-17 22:25:54

We once received a package of 20 new paper bags, about 12" x 7". We puzzled for ages and I bristled about "We're not paying for these". Some days later we found out our daughter had ordered them for us as her father had said he was having very mild panic attacks. They were for him to breathe into.

JackyB Fri 27-Oct-17 07:17:37

We were mystified by toys - used but in good condition - appearing at odd times on our doorstep. And once or twice there were things obviously meant for kindergarten in our letter box - one was a hand-written order of service for a children's service with no name or note on it.

We finally found out that the toys had been left by an ex-colleague of my husband's who thought they might be useful for the grandchildren. (In fact one, a rather nice wooden train, has proved successful with DGS).

But, even though we live in a small village and know everyone involved with the local church and kindergarten, we have still not found out where the misdirected post came from or who it might be for.