Gransnet forums

Chat

Down to earth with a bump!

(8 Posts)
kittylester Fri 27-Oct-17 07:54:05

Up to yesterday my week had been really good!

Yesterday a neighbour heard a knock at the front door but having just come out of hospital he was unable to get there. Then a brick came through his back window and he saw a young man trying to get in. Luckily he ran away when he realised there was actually someone in.

DH and I were discussing this when the phone rang. It was DH's bank saying that they had detected fraudulent activity on his card and he should cancel it.

That's taken the shine off the week somewhat.

Greyduster Fri 27-Oct-17 08:01:15

Kitty that is awful for both yourselves and your neighbour. It leaves such a nasty taste in the mouth when these things happen and I hope you manage to sort things out and restore your equilibrium. ?

Iam64 Fri 27-Oct-17 08:17:21

Oh dear! Let us know if the law can help at all.

Riverwalk Fri 27-Oct-17 08:22:52

It's very unsettling to hear of burglaries, with forced entry, happening nearby. At least it sounds like the bank is on the ball, assuming the call was genuine!

gillybob Fri 27-Oct-17 08:47:23

So sorry to hear you're having a rotten time at the moment kittylester Your poor neighbour must've got a terrible fright. You are probably well on the ball with the bank and the cards etc. But please beware of the usual scams. Things like calls arranging for taxis to pick your cards up, reading card numbers and transactions over the phone etc. If at all possible do try and deal with your bank, face to face. Or at the very least you telephone them on a number you are sure is genuine . Good luck sorting it out . It can be a nightmare .

Marydoll Fri 27-Oct-17 08:53:39

It is so unsettling when you get a call about a fraudulent transaction.
I recently got an email from my credit card provider saying that there had been a fraudulent transaction on my card. It gave a number to call. I am very wary about responding to emails like this. So I phoned the phone number on my card and the first thing the agent asked was, "Are you calling about the fraudulent transaction?". It was indeed genuine.
Someone one in USA had tried to buy computer games on the card!
My bank were certainly on the ball. The pattern on my card is usually "Morrisons", M&S and Asda!

kittylester Fri 27-Oct-17 08:56:40

The bank call was genuine and wouldn't really bother us usually. In fact, it's good to know they are on the ball.

But, our poor neighbour had just had a second knee replacement, been home for 2 days, hauled himself to his feet then heard breaking glass and saw the potential intruder with his hand through the hole. The worrying thing is that the police think he must have seen the neighbour's wife going out with the dog!

Charleygirl Fri 27-Oct-17 09:24:30

There were apparently 13 burglaries very locally in one night this week. I am not sure if I want to know that. I believe it was because of Diwali being celebrated.