Gransnet forums

Chat

What have you 'always wanted' and did you get it?

(119 Posts)
kittylester Tue 07-Nov-17 07:47:32

Apparently Lewis Hamilton always wanted a private jet (and got one) - is there anything you've always wanted? And, did it live up to your expectation?

I wanted a Jackie Brazil necklace but it is soooo heavy I rarely wear it.

danceagran Tue 07-Nov-17 12:52:51

I always wanted a Hornby train set and a Meccano set, but no, apparently they were not suitable for a girl. I got around the problem by making friends with a boy who lived on my street. He had both, so I often played at his house.

Greyduster Tue 07-Nov-17 12:55:34

Yay! I’ll settle for that, Ann - we’ll do it so the scars won’t show Yorkshiregirl (well not much - needlework is not my strong suit!!). I’m fed up of my GS saying “I only have to grow another three inches, Nanny, then I’ll be taller than you!”

SueDonim Tue 07-Nov-17 12:57:27

A Tiny Tears doll! I never got one so when I had daughters, I thought that was my chance. But no, they wanted Baby Annabelle.

Still, I'm awaiting the birth of a real life Tiny Tears from one of my children this month, adding to the four I already have. smile

SueDonim Tue 07-Nov-17 13:00:47

Oh, and the other thing I've always hankered for is one of those library kickstools, the ones on wheels that scoot around but become a 'strong and stable' grin stool when you sit or stand on them.

They're only about £30 nowadays, I don't know why I don't buy myself one.

MissAdventure Tue 07-Nov-17 13:06:18

I feel quite lucky. I had a Tiny Tears, and a Tressie. I had a chatty Cathy too!

Ceegeebee Tue 07-Nov-17 13:10:41

As an Elvis fan I always wanted to visit Graceland. Never imagined I could because of the cost. Then, 6 years ago, to celebrate the end of 10 months of gruelling treatment for breast cancer, my family, 3 sons, a daughter, daughter-in-law AND my ex-husband clubbed together to send me on this trip of a lifetime. I went with my youngest son, also a fan. We even had VIP tickets so could go round Graceland as many times as we wanted AND we stayed in Heartbreak Hotel! My family are the best. ❤️
Glad I saw this post. It reminded me, on a miserable grey day with me full of the cold, how blessed I am.

MissAdventure Tue 07-Nov-17 13:12:06

How lovely! smile what a thoughtful present. You are blessed.

NonnaW Tue 07-Nov-17 13:16:43

I always wanted a sports car. With the help of my now 2nd Husband, I got an MX5, and loved it. We often say we wish we’d kept it, it would be a fun, sunny weather car.

Like a previous poster, I always wanted a daughter, but had 3 sons instead. Love them to bits but still feel a sadness that I never had that mum/daughter relationship. I should really just be thankful for what I have.

inishowen Tue 07-Nov-17 13:47:25

A Sindy doll. I wanted one when I was eleven but my mum said I was too old for dolls.

Horatia Tue 07-Nov-17 13:59:15

A little house in the countryside up a lane for hubby and me with no one nearby.

Willow500 Tue 07-Nov-17 14:34:43

loopyloo I did have a keyboard - my husband bought me it to practice on with headphones but then complained about the clanking keys angry so it was donated to my granddaughter. Like you I also hated wearing glasses and at 21 my parents bought me hard contact lenses which liberated me too grin although I was already married with 2 children by then! Still wear lenses - eyes now so bad I wouldn't dare have corrective surgery - just hanging in hoping not to lose what I've got left! Re the kitchen cabinets - we had one in our first house - it was blue like the Dingles on Emmerdale and did hold a lot of stuff but I hated it and longed for proper modern kitchen.

MissAdventure Tue 07-Nov-17 14:38:22

I would have liked a rural lifestyle, in a little cottage. Oh well...

Kim19 Tue 07-Nov-17 14:50:35

Reading all these hankerings I realise yet again how very fortunate I've been. Only one non-achieved dream will be ruby, golden and diamond anniversaries. At least the ones I had were terrific. Oh aye........

grannyactivist Tue 07-Nov-17 14:57:58

I wanted a wedding photo to frame and put on show, but when I married The Wonderful Man we couldn't afford a photographer. It was before the days when everyone had a camera, however my oldest friend managed to take a couple of lovely photo's and had one enlarged and framed for us - and I'm looking at it now. smile

Felix2007 Tue 07-Nov-17 15:14:10

Willo500 There are small electric keyboards that don’t take up much room.

gillybob Tue 07-Nov-17 15:14:53

My wedding photos are just amateur photos too grannyactivist actually none are any good really. The best worst one has me standing in the park with a swans neck popping out from behind me and I look like a coffee pot !

Scooter58 Tue 07-Nov-17 15:31:57

A caravan,got one 3 years ago,a second hand tourer,I drive a Honda 125 Scooter so not much chance of towing it,between good friends prepared to tow and another friend storing it I have achieved my dream,now making memories with my grandsons ?

Blinko Tue 07-Nov-17 16:09:28

As an army child, I hated being uprooted every few years and longed for a home, husband, children and above all, roots. So I'm very content with life at the mo.

I did always want a sister, but grew up with two brothers. I wanted a sister so much that when Brother no2 arrived when I was four, I thought if I kept calling him 'Rosemary' he would become a sister!

A sister did appear when I was thirteen and we are now very close. So I feel blessed for all sorts of reasons.

Kittye Tue 07-Nov-17 16:27:58

Daisydoo that's lovely!
I always wanted a dolls house as a child but there was never the money to spare. My husband bought me one for my 50th birthday, many years later I'm in the process of renovating it.

blueskies Tue 07-Nov-17 16:28:03

Kim19 Snap. I wanted to love and be loved and I had that for 25 years. I was blessed.

Lilyflower Tue 07-Nov-17 16:52:26

As we were ‘normal’ working class people, and quite hard up when Mum left dad and had to keep two of us herself, I did not really have any ambitions for special things as I never thought I would have to money to obtain them.

My dear OH and I started off with fair but not great salaries but somehow our frugal living paid off and I am better off now than I thought I would be in my wildest dreams. We have all the ‘stuff’ we want and I have a lovely watch and nice jewellery.

My MiL once said to me, ‘ What is important to me is not having things but knowing I could have them if I really wanted them.’ That really struck me at the time and I realised that holding off splurging but knowing I could if I wished to kept my money in the bank and made me feel well off. After a while not spending becomes a habit and pays off in a little put by for a rainy day.

So there is nothing that I didn’t have or couldn’t have, really. If I had the money for a private plane I wouldn’t buy it.

Anniebach Tue 07-Nov-17 16:52:51

Can't think of anything, wanted a large dolls house, a bike, a camera and got them. A car when in my teens, got it. My wedding band made from Welsh gold, got it. Daughters , yes two.

Just remembered, wanted my parents to have my two year old brother adopted -I was sixteen, they refused for some reason.

brunswick Tue 07-Nov-17 16:54:48

A horse - my family would say "where are you going to keep it" and I would say "in the garden". We lived in the centre of London and had no back gate from the garden - so then they would say "how are you going to get it out" and I would say "through the hall". And I really meant it!!

nanafriday Tue 07-Nov-17 16:57:15

I always wanted a bike, and had one when I was 50 for Christmas (but have yet to ride it lol), and I have always wanted a grandfather clock, still waiting for that one.

Caramac Tue 07-Nov-17 17:32:40

I wore glasses from the age of 2 and always wanted to be able to bin them. I was compliant and wore them; my sister buried a few pairs and was allowed to go without hers! 3 years ago I had plastic lenses to replace my natural ones and love the freedom I feel.
PS I had saved the money for a first time abroad holiday to Mauritius but DH wouldn’t come with me so I spent the money on me.