Gransnet forums

Chat

Memory Foam mattresses

(44 Posts)
giulia Wed 08-Nov-17 05:35:47

Desperately need to splash out on a new, good mattress. Are memory foam mattresses worth the money? How thick should the layer be? They sound good because they don't need to be turned. I need some relief for my arthritic hip and my present (old) mattress causes me to get up with a limp in the mornings. Any suggestions? Does anyone feel disappointed with theirs?

kittylester Wed 08-Nov-17 17:33:05

You sound about as evangelical as I am LG. grin

Nelliemoser Wed 08-Nov-17 17:37:26

I have heard before about Taniths Wed 08-Nov-17 16:54:45 point about problems of sinking into memory foam mattresses.

If your joints are very painful to start with and you are trying to push yourself out to turn over or get out of bed the mattress just sinks down and it is much harder to get any purchase to lever youself out.

My bed is comfortable but the damaged facet joints are very painful over night. I have bought myself a MF pillow which does seem to take the pressure off that joint.
(I am still not sure about it, maybe a strip of MF might work better.)
The way my back is I can only comfortably lie flat on my back (with a good pillow under my knees.)

I would suggest a good MF topper on top of a good quality mattress . My back hurts if I use any soft upholstered seat. A fully MF mattress is too soft and my back is not supported where it is needed.

Baggs Wed 08-Nov-17 18:10:30

TY, LG ?
I get it now. I thought it was supposed to remember the dents one made, which seemed a bit daft.

Jane10 Wed 08-Nov-17 19:00:42

nelliemoser sorry to hear you're in such pain. I hope you manage to sleep OK despite your difficulties. flowers

GrandmaMoira Wed 08-Nov-17 19:13:03

I've not had a memory foam mattress but I have discovered that if you have arthritis or bad back, especially if you are small built, your mattress should not be too firm. I bought a new fairly firm mattress and it gives me hip and shoulder pain. I have to have a mattress topper on it.

Nelliemoser Wed 08-Nov-17 19:31:11

Jane10. I had a very bad time at the end of September when I was on holiday, but since then my GP has now prescribed a low dose of Gabapentin.

This has now been found to stop the pain sensations from going down the legs. It does not have any opiates and it seems to be working .
One slight problem is that it works so well that I don't get all the warning signs that I am over doing things.

I have been troubled with this since about 1979 and general wear and tear has taken its toll . This problem started with a fall down stairs carrying then baby DS when I landed heavily on my left leg .

douglas154 Wed 13-Jun-18 04:11:26

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

NfkDumpling Wed 13-Jun-18 07:03:25

We’ve had Tempur beds for donkeys years and love them.

Many years ago I had a very bad back with slipped discs and the only way I was comfortable was sleeping on my stomach. So I’m in the habit of turning over facing downwards instead of rolling onto my back first. This works really well with memory foam mattresses. So if you get that stuck in a rut feeling, try turning onto your tummy to turn over. It’s much easier.

Saxifrage Wed 13-Jun-18 07:54:46

The Ikea memory foam mattresses are highly recommended by Which? I have had one for a couple of years. It cost under £200 and I am very happy with it. I am happy to be hot in bed, it helps to have a thinnish duvet with a bedspread you can throw off when necessary.

Alima Wed 13-Jun-18 11:13:19

Love our memory foam mattress, as does my back. Do find it hot in the summer, has anyone tried one of the cooling mattress toppers?

oldbatty Wed 13-Jun-18 12:33:00

Ive just been to look at new beds and matresses.....2 k?

NfkDumpling Wed 13-Jun-18 13:52:18

Yep! But they do have a long guarantee! Our first bed (now the spare) is 18 years old and we only changed it because the foam was getting a bit softer than we like. The new one (a basic model) should see us out!!

Fenton1 Tue 19-Feb-19 12:14:34

Aisha1 Tue 02-Apr-19 13:28:30

Witzend Tue 02-Apr-19 13:34:33

My dd and SiL got one 2nd hand for a quarter of the new price - previous owner couldn't get on with it.

Dd and SiL subsequently found it too hot and sold it on.
Maybe it depends on how hot (or not) a person you are. I suspect that my dd and Sil both have personal central heating, much like my dh - or rather, he certainly used to - not so much now.

kksonakiya Sat 14-Sep-19 08:45:56

My idea might not suit a lot of folks but it has suited to my father (61 Years). A single piece of plywood spread across the foam mattress topped with a mattress topper.
Piece of warning though - I can't sleep on it but somehow it suits him and after that, he just didn't want to sleep any of the other mattress (we only have 2 other types though). One of them is an egg-crate orthopaedic mattress and other one is a coir mattress. The coir one suits me (31 years).

NRoss Wed 30-Oct-19 12:01:12

I bought a memory foam mattress from here last month and have been sleeping so much better since.

timetogo2016 Wed 30-Oct-19 15:32:22

You can buy a memory foam mattress to put on top of your existing one.
Ours is about 2" thick.
We have a deep m/phone mattress and you do have to turn them,we are at this moment in time unable to turn the old one as it`s so heavy. so one to put on top of is ideal and easy to turn.
Also they are very warm.