Gransnet forums

Chat

Please call your dog

(287 Posts)
Eglantine21 Sun 12-Nov-17 18:34:03

Some years ago when I was out walking I was bitten on the leg by a dog who just ran up to me barking and growling and plunged his teeth in. It has made me nervous with dogs, known and unknown, and especially when they run up to me.
I freeze and call to the owner, in an admittedly high and panicked tone, "Please call your dog".
Today the response was "He's just being friendly." which is a common one, as is "He just wants to play". I have also had
"He's only a puppy."
"He's got as much right here as you have."
"We live over there and this is his park."
"I can call him but he won't come."
And even
"Call him? Call him what?"
I expect 99% of the dogs are lovely. But Im clearly scared. Why won't they call their dog away? And is there anything I can do apart from stand still to get the dog to go away from me?

Wheniwasyourage Sat 25-Nov-17 12:30:23

I am not a dog lover, but have a group of houses where I have to visit twice a year. Several of them have dogs, one a vicious brute who has to be locked up for visitors, but I have to say that none of the houses smells.

Anniebach, swans are indeed beautiful on the top, but don't you think they look more sinister when they're out of the water and you can see that under the ballet dress they are wearing black wellies?

MamaCaz Thu 28-Dec-17 16:40:17

Grr! It's just happened again - I went for a walk along a local lane earlier, an off-lead dog spotted me and raced towards me. I avoided meeting its eyes, so as not to encourage it, but when it became obvious what was going to happen, I firmly yelled 'NO'. It paused momentarily and as always happens, the owner came out with the usual 'it's ok, it won't do anything' line. Well it did, it ran round the back of me and jumped up leaving great muddy footprints on my trousers. I am thoroughly p****d off now.

My mind is now made up: I am going to buy myself a strong walking stick that I can use to protect myself as and when necessary!

IngeJones Thu 28-Dec-17 17:57:45

I thought part of dog training was to get them NOT to run up to strangers.

Iam64 Thu 28-Dec-17 18:49:34

I carry a pet spray that makes an unpleasant noise. My dogs are accustomed to it so don't react if I use it. It doesn't spray anything at the dog, just makes the noise. I took it out of my pocket and aimed it at a large, out of control, young springer. The dog was off lead despite being on a lane from the fields I was heading for and he was leaving. My two dogs were on lead. I used the noise bottle, the dog ran off, my dogs continued to walk nicely at my side. The aggressive owner of the other dog shouted what I was doing ws illegal. Nope, it isn't I said - but what your dog is doing is illegal, it's out of control on a public road. He walked off and to be frank, I felt a bit relieved nothing more was said.

MamaCaz Thu 28-Dec-17 19:05:27

Never heard of those before, Iam64. I've just had a quick look at one online now and think I might send for one, though I do resent having to fork out money to train other people's dogs!

Iam64 Fri 29-Dec-17 08:33:56

MamaCaz, you could simply put small stones in a small, empty plastic bottle. Shaking the bottle, or throwing it on the floor makes a noise dogs don't like. It's recommended by many trainers as a means of distracting your own dog if the dog shows signs of lunging, snarling at other dogs. The positive only trainers disapprove of this, which is an aversive training method. The noise can't hurt a dog but it may bring it up short and reduce its inclination to leap on you as its new best friend, or worse - have a go at your own dog.

Luckygirl Fri 29-Dec-17 09:09:50

Or you can get an ultrasonic device very cheaply on ebay. They do work.

Eglantine21 Fri 29-Dec-17 09:22:41

Gosh this one runs and runs. Didn't think that when I started it!
Can I just tell you what happened a couple of days ago.
I was walking down one of the narrow footpaths to town when coming towards me was a lady with two large dogs. I stopped still.
They started trotting towards me. She took one look at me, called them and held them by their collars. "Ive got them." she said. "Thank you" I said.
The dogs sat still. I patted them. We exchanged some pleasantries and went on our separate ways.
We were all happy. It doesn't take much does it?

OldMeg Fri 29-Dec-17 09:53:25

And that’s how it should be Eglantine and in my experience it’s only a few (isn’t it always) who give the majority a bad name.

But sadly that’s what often happens isn’t it? Those with a dislike of dogs will use it as a stick to beat all dogs. In general dogs are gentle, loving creatures. Young ones, or some breeds can be boisterous and this should be trained out of them.

Sadly there are a few (very few) really nasty viscous dogs, usually owned by nasty viscous people, who really are a danger to people and other gentler dogs. Generally though there are too many dogs who suffer at the hands of so-called humans and suffer in silence

Eglantine21 Fri 29-Dec-17 10:34:25

Her dogs were fine. They wouldn't have hurt me. They would have frightened me badly if they had kept coming.
I am grateful that she responded to my need rather than insisting (correctly) that her dogs would do no harm.

Iam64 Fri 29-Dec-17 20:11:02

A good news story, thanks Eglantine