Gransnet forums

Chat

Please call your dog

(287 Posts)
Eglantine21 Sun 12-Nov-17 18:34:03

Some years ago when I was out walking I was bitten on the leg by a dog who just ran up to me barking and growling and plunged his teeth in. It has made me nervous with dogs, known and unknown, and especially when they run up to me.
I freeze and call to the owner, in an admittedly high and panicked tone, "Please call your dog".
Today the response was "He's just being friendly." which is a common one, as is "He just wants to play". I have also had
"He's only a puppy."
"He's got as much right here as you have."
"We live over there and this is his park."
"I can call him but he won't come."
And even
"Call him? Call him what?"
I expect 99% of the dogs are lovely. But Im clearly scared. Why won't they call their dog away? And is there anything I can do apart from stand still to get the dog to go away from me?

KatyK Mon 13-Nov-17 10:13:06

I'm scared of dogs too. I have had a few frightening incidents with them. I sometimes think it is thought of as a great crime if you say you don't like dogs. I told someone once that I didn't like dogs and she said 'oh and I thought you were a nice person' confused

Skweek1 Mon 13-Nov-17 10:21:06

Out leafleting one day a couple of years ago, I was suddenly aware that one house had what looked like a German Shepherd shape - there was no warning until he bit off the end of my finger. Had he barked, or had there been any "Beware of the dog" notice, I would have ignored the house. What I still insist on calling "Alsatians" have always looked too much like wolves for comfort. I love dogs and wouldn't wish any action taken (apart from the owner being warned and some compensation (the police didn't take any action, so the ambulance chasing NWNF company couldn't get me a penny)). Still finger-tip numb after two years.

silverlining48 Mon 13-Nov-17 10:23:33

Recently out walking with our 2 small grandchildren, about 10 dogs all off lead, with just one woman in charge, came barking and jumping at the children. The dogs were not in control and very lively. She just watched and did nothing despite the children being clearly upset and terrified. I had to shout twice before she took any notice. Eventually she did call them off but was rude and angry. She seemed to think the heathland we were on was purely for dogs and we had no business being there. It takes all sorts....?.!!!

Anya Mon 13-Nov-17 10:28:06

Eglantine working in the assumption that these over boisterous dogs are just that, I’d suggest you fold your arms across your chest and turn you back quite deliberately on them when they get too close. This is what I do when friends dogs jump up to great me. It sends out a message to them that you don’t want to ‘play’ or interact.

This was a technique I learned from Victoria Stilwell a well known dog trainer.

DJ I disagree with your thinking and I’m guessing you don’t own or have much interaction with dogs.

silverlining48 Mon 13-Nov-17 10:28:14

Would add i have always been scared of dogs after a nasty attack as a child and i dont want my gc being the same.
To be told ‘ hes only being friendly’ doesnt help.

rizlett Mon 13-Nov-17 10:31:09

You kind of have two issues here op.

1. Your fear of dogs which arose from years ago and has not been addressed.

2. What to do in the moment a dog runs towards you.

So for the first one - would you want to do something about this?

The second one - remember dogs do things to get attention so one of the best things is to ignore. Try not to look or say anything to the dog as both these are attention. Keep walking and focus on something ahead of you for example a tree or lampost. Think about your breathing. Usually if you are totally uninteresting to the dog it will run back to its owner.

If a dog tries to jump up cross your arms and as quick as you can turn your back - don't look at it or say anything to it. Normally the dog will then come round to the front of you and try again so again - keeping your arms folded and no eye contact - turn again and repeat. If you are feeling brave you can also move towards the dog as it jumps up [I know this sounds odd when you actually just want to run away!] as bumping into it also helps prevent it jumping again.

barbaralynne Mon 13-Nov-17 10:33:41

I am a dog owner and a dog lover but I am still very aware that many dog owners are extremely defensive if their dogs are criticised in any way. Our dog jumps up when people come to the house and I always tell them to turn their backs to the dog. This tells the dog in a way that they understand that they are being ignored and usually they stop. Also do not make eye contact with them as that encourages them to continue.
Hope this helps.

Anya Mon 13-Nov-17 10:36:54

Looks like we all agree on the fold arms and turn back technique.

BRedhead59 Mon 13-Nov-17 10:42:58

Another point to add -There are many people who have lived in countries where people own dogs to guard their property and have no experience with pet family dogs they are therefore scared of dogs. A responsible dog owner should keep their dog under control at all times and check with others they meet before letting them off the lead. The other dog may be old, sick or challenged in some way. Those who bag the poo and then chuck it somewhere - shame on you.

Luckygirl Mon 13-Nov-17 10:52:04

"the OP might be advised to get some help treating this fear."

........... bangs head against wall in desperation!!!!! .............

NO, NO, NO! - dogs are not an obligatory part of life to which we must adapt, like rain or wind. They are the chosen possession of those who like dogs, and those people have an absolute duty to make sure that their possessions do not annoy, damage or frighten others.

colette13 Mon 13-Nov-17 10:52:14

An unleaded dog came through my cat-flap and killed a much loved elderly cat -- I was DISTRAUGHT -- police informed and NOTHING done.Then my granddaughter attacked by a dog. Thank God myself and daughter were able to intervene before she suffered any permanent injuries. In view of this, I feel I shouldn't have to justify/explain myself to a--holes,who walk their dogs off- lead and call over to me 'He/she won't hurt you',etc.A life-long animal,unfortunately, my opinion of dogs/dog owners is now clouded -- ALL DOGS IN PUBLIC AREAS SHOULD NOT ONLY BE ON LEADS BUT MUZZLED -- as for dog-owners -- it's not about your dog hurting/not hurting me -- I don't want your animal off-lead in a public area where I or anyone else is walking -- I don't want your dog running up to me and I shouldn't have to stop (in anxiety/fear) contemplating what actions your animal is about to take. If dog-owners want to run their animals, they should use their own private gardens and people who don't have these shouldn't really have dogs anyway. When/if people disagree with me, I could and do go on to explain that my granddaughter suffered broken skin injuries and trauma,I was physically unable to intervene when my cat was attacked and killed in our own home -- I don't need to go into describing the scene -- it was horrific and something I wouldn't wish on anyone or wish to witness again.Tico RIP.

colette13 Mon 13-Nov-17 10:53:16

I agree Luckygirl

blueskies Mon 13-Nov-17 10:56:27

I was bitten by a dog on a lead. I informed the police and they took it seriously. My postman was also very pleased and relieved that I reported the dog owner. Supposing it had been a child's face. You have a duty to do something about a dangerous animal.

Lilyflower Mon 13-Nov-17 10:56:46

I am allergic to dogs and do not want to be in their proximity as they cause hives and asthma. I don't like loud, sudden barking and I am wary about being bitten. I am more than repulsed by dog faeces too.

However, I think we we who are cautious about dogs are onto a losing streak as British dog owners prefer their animals to people and they are nearly all blind to the problems they cause others.

The idea that, as one poster said, dogs 'have as much right to be there as [we] do' is absurd. Legally they don't and, in any case, dogs don't pay national or local taxes. I am paying for the pavement, not the dog which is being walked along it.

Dog owners should be considerate of others and keep their animals on short, non expandable leads at all times while out.

lemongrove Mon 13-Nov-17 10:59:25

Yes, dogs understand body language better than the spoken word!
I walked towards a small group ( of older people) when out for a country walk the other day and approached the stile where they were, a terrier of some kind ran towards me barking ( nervously) and a labrador came slowly but with a gleam in it’s eye and a wagging tail.The terrier may have tried a nervous nip at my legs, the lab was all for jumping and greeting joyously ( as they often do to complete strangers) and the two well dressed couples just stared at me.
Then a woman said ‘don’t try and pat him’ ( the terrier)
I said ‘I have no intention of patting him, but if he gets too close I may have to kick him’ and she grabbed him and put his lead one pdq.
I ignored the labrador, climbed over the stile and went on my way.I heard dark mutterings behind me, but rudeness from dog owners has to be met by rudeness ( or the truth in this case,grin)
I really like dogs, and most owners where I live are great and considerate, but there are some who think that their own dogs come before any other dogs or humans.

Oldwoman70 Mon 13-Nov-17 11:05:48

I am amazed at the dog owners telling those of us with a fear of dogs that we should "do something about it". No, dog owners should do something about their dogs jumping on or running at people.

durhamjen Mon 13-Nov-17 11:20:49

Exactly, oldwoman. Why should we have to train ourselves to cope with other people's dogs.
Anya, my son has two dogs. My daughter in laws parents train dogs, so my daughter in law knows a lot about dogs.
She says they are pack animals. I believe her.
They have been trained over the centuries to stop obeying the pack leader. Why can't they be trained to not jump or run at people?

Luckygirl Mon 13-Nov-17 11:26:02

The whole concept of these animals having their natural instincts bred out of them to suit the whims of humans gives me the creeps.

Aslemma Mon 13-Nov-17 11:27:56

I like most dogs but actually prefer large ones such as German Shepherds. Having a mobility scooter, my pet hate is people with little dogs on long leads who make no attempt to rein them in when they run up to my scooter barking. I don't want to hit the dog though I might have less of a problem running into the owner.

Coco51 Mon 13-Nov-17 11:33:34

A dog friendly to its owner is not necessarily friendly to strangers - especially when they don’t know the dog’s habits. I would always advise caution since DS’s dog who was inseparable from DGS and such a good natured dog suddenly turned on DGS and ripped his face open. Luckly DS was there to pull the dog off, but the consequences could have been far worse.
The owners of these dogs are irresponsible if they allow their dogs to jump up at strangers, after all at best you don’t want muddy paws over your clothes.

Gemmag Mon 13-Nov-17 11:34:40

A more appropriate heading for this thread would have been “anyone else afraid of dogs “.

On the whole dogs who have responsible owners do not allow their dogs to jump up on people. Unfortunately it is not easy to stop some ‘very friendly’ dogs from jumping up to greet someone.
I can fully understand some people not wanting or not liking dogs who do jump up especially a dog who is not obviously friendly. It is very rare that I come across a dog who wants to jump up on me even one I might stop to say hello to. I have been walking my dogs (now sadly only one) for the last 16 years and before that for 12 years and it was only a couple of weeks ago that my husband and I encountered a very nasty woman who was walking her 3 dogs . It was someone we had never seen in the woods before and when one of her dogs pestered my dog I politely asked her to call her dog off. She didn’t and it was only when another of her dogs tried to mount mine that I gave the dog a tap when the riding crop I carry with me every day as my dog has now been attacked on 9 different occasions . Well, WW3 nearly broke out and she was vile. She swore and called us terrible names and I felt very lucky that she hadn’t actually punched me!.

Nobody likes dogs jumping up on them, even people like me who loves dogs and I can fully understand your alarm when a dog charges at you. It is not the dogs fault, it is people like the one I’ve mentioned who should not be allowed to own one dog let alone 3. All 3 were rescue dogs.

Eglantine21 Mon 13-Nov-17 11:41:42

I will try to try the turn your back method though sitting here the thought that I wouldn't be able to see what they were going to do is making my blood run cold.
Therapy might work for illogical fears, but mine is based on experience so isn't totally just in my head. I know that it is possible for a dog to run up and bite and for the bite to have an enormous impact on your life.
So my logical mind says even if I could stop being afraid doesn't mean that the dog won't bite. I can't envisage ever not thinking that.

tigger Mon 13-Nov-17 11:44:12

I thought keeping dogs under control at all times was a lawful requirement. I have two dogs who have occasionally embarrassed me by barking at people as they go by. I always apologise, never make excuses as they are my responsibility and I recognise that not everyone loves dogs.

mags1234 Mon 13-Nov-17 11:48:30

My spaniel is not good at coming back on command . And yes he is very friendly. But if he is off lead it is only in a place where you would expect dogs to run. Eg, on a forest walk, in the dog area of a park etc. I always keep him on an extension lead otherwise., always. My granddaughter is scared of dogs, it’s not fun. There are lots of irresponsible owners though, who give us a bad name.

NonnaW Mon 13-Nov-17 12:01:39

Eglantine if you are able you could try lifting your leg so your knee is across your other (upper) leg. Sorry, it’s diffi to explain, but it is a method of fending off unwelcome attention. We have spaniels who, despite attending lots of training, still tend to jump, mainly at visitors to the house. When put, however, they are very good at coming back to the whistle, and we tend to call them back to us whenever we see other people, especially if they have no dogs, or have children with them. Sadly, my dogs would be an absolute nightmare of pent up energy if not allowed to run free, just running in the garden is not enough for them as one other poster suggests.