Gransnet forums

Chat

Please call your dog

(287 Posts)
Eglantine21 Sun 12-Nov-17 18:34:03

Some years ago when I was out walking I was bitten on the leg by a dog who just ran up to me barking and growling and plunged his teeth in. It has made me nervous with dogs, known and unknown, and especially when they run up to me.
I freeze and call to the owner, in an admittedly high and panicked tone, "Please call your dog".
Today the response was "He's just being friendly." which is a common one, as is "He just wants to play". I have also had
"He's only a puppy."
"He's got as much right here as you have."
"We live over there and this is his park."
"I can call him but he won't come."
And even
"Call him? Call him what?"
I expect 99% of the dogs are lovely. But Im clearly scared. Why won't they call their dog away? And is there anything I can do apart from stand still to get the dog to go away from me?

Elegran Fri 17-Nov-17 11:05:44

I don't think anyone here is arguing against the right of animals to be treated humanely.

Day6 Fri 17-Nov-17 11:12:53

DJ. "It's the right to be treated humanely, BY humans, not the right to be treated AS a human."

How strange that this has turned anti Brexit DJ.

I suspect most Brits do NOT need a law. One only has to travel across Europe to notice most countries do not cherish their domestic animals the way we do in the UK. We tend to be an nation of animal lovers and that has been said for years. My DC have remarked on the ill treatment and suffering of animals in many European countries. Strays are rife and animals suffer openly in the streets. Go to Greece. I haven't been for a few years but I remember wanting to come home taking at least a dozen mangy, unloved cats and dogs with me - as well as goats and donkeys!

Let's not make this about leaving the EU. There are people every where (including the UK) who maltreat animals and neglect them but the sense of outrage in the UK is likely to be loudest heard throughout the world. We probably set the standards for animal welfare.

If we don't take EU law with us, it is enshrined in the nation. We do not need Brussels telling us how to care for dumb animals. Animal rights are almost bred into us! We've taught Europe how to be more compassionate.

Without doubt UK animal charities and public opinion will ensure our animals have the same rights when we leave Brussels, and more.

durhamjen Fri 17-Nov-17 11:22:13

A month ago, Gove said he was an animal and was going to stick up for animal rights.
All UK animal charities are up in arms about this clause being turned down.

durhamjen Fri 17-Nov-17 11:26:38

"Amendment 350 proposes transposing article 13 of the TFEU into UK law to recognise the sentience of animals. If we look at the words of the Environment Secretary, the Government seem to have changed their position. They appeared to give a commitment to transpose the provision back in July. I do not understand why expert groups such as the Association of Lawyers for Animal Welfare or Wildlife and Countryside Link would be suggesting that we need a separate provision if it already existed in existing animal welfare legislation. They are the experts on this, and I am listening to them. I point out that even under EU law, Britain is not a beacon in this regard. A constituent of mine, Mr Peter Tutt, has done a huge amount to raise awareness of the fact that much marine life that is recognised as sentient in other countries is not recognised as such in the UK."

Oldwoman70 Fri 17-Nov-17 11:33:59

Does every thread have to be turned into a political fight?

Day6 Fri 17-Nov-17 11:39:31

Exactly Oldwoman.

We love our animals, will always protect them, and will always be outraged by animal cruelty - and we are able to make our own laws. End of.

Chewbacca Fri 17-Nov-17 11:43:04

Oldwoman70
Does every thread have to be turned into a political fight?
It would seem so, wouldn't it? Reckon a thread about custard creams would too. sad

durhamjen Fri 17-Nov-17 11:50:18

www.rspca.org.uk/getinvolved/campaign/sentientbeings/takeaction

Why does the RSPCA need to do this if we are all animal lovers?
Why do they feel the need to stop puppy farms?

MissAdventure Fri 17-Nov-17 11:51:52

Because there are bad apples in all corners of society. The fact that the nspcc exists doesn't mean everyone ill treats their children, nor that they condone it when done by others.

durhamjen Fri 17-Nov-17 12:04:33

The law to stop it was an EU law. Our government voted against adopting it into UK law.
Seems wrong to me, but I care about all animals, not just pet dogs.
Last post on this thread.

Elegran Fri 17-Nov-17 12:26:27

TGFT

Chewbacca Fri 17-Nov-17 12:27:16

grin Elegran

Anniebach Fri 17-Nov-17 12:50:26

I blame this government for allowing mars bars to be made smaller.

What utter tosh, there has been puppy farms for many a year . The Dogs Trust - then the NCDL, fought for changes in the eighties, I worked undercover with a reporter from a Sunday Newspaper and went to many as a prospective buyer, there was a tightening of the laws, we still have puppy farms. There was break in last week, 13 puppies , cavaliers and Westies, some puppies a day old, two older dogs were also stolen. Beware anyone thinking of buying a Cavalier or Westie puppy please.

Jtjade Sun 19-Nov-17 18:13:06

I can identify with the comments of dog owners have no thoughts of the humans who do not like them and do not expect to be bitten or put in a fearful position. All owners should have there dogs on a short lead when out in public places, in consideration for others. I also cannot believe owners think it's ok to leave a plastic bag full of mess. My husband does voluntary work at a local National Trust and says they have huge amounts left on and in the trees and kind hearted people like him who are interested in providing a nice place for members of the public and for the children to play and enjoy, are faced with this!! Disgusting!, who do they think they are, that others should have to clear up after them. Some dog lovers??? No way.

whitewave Sun 19-Nov-17 18:34:51

36% less chance of having a heart attack if you are a dog owner.

Eglantine21 Sun 19-Nov-17 18:42:49

And a 90% plus chance of me having one when they run at me!grin
Just call your dog. Why not?

whitewave Sun 19-Nov-17 18:48:24

I know eglatine and I do.

The point is we wouldn’t allow our children to behave with such bad manners and the same goes for Duncan.

NfkDumpling Mon 20-Nov-17 10:10:01

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head there WW. We wouldn’t let our children climb on restaurant tables or run wild in public, but some do. I bet they’re the same people who let their dogs rule the roost too. It’s just down to good manners and consideration. Both are going out of the window with the ‘Because I’m worth it’ mentality.

paddyann Mon 20-Nov-17 10:22:22

Day6 a nation of animal lovers.....apparently not.There are overcrowded centres full of unwanted dogs ,cats and any other pet you can name ...bought when they were cute .Abandoned when they grew or became a unmanageable or just boring..or too much trouble or too expensive .Then there are the ones that people treat as "fur babies" even the phrase makes me queasy..its and ANIMAL for goodness sake !! A sense of proportion is needed ,why take your dog to a restaurant? Why buy it CLOTHES....honestly I think some people need help.I do understand that pets are important for all manner of reasons but get real .People SHOULD be mre important than a dog.So keep it on a lead please .

Oldwoman70 Mon 20-Nov-17 10:36:32

paddyann I so agree with you about the term "fur babies*. When we had a cat I took it to the vet one day and whilst examining him the vet said "Perhaps Mother could hold him"!!! I made it very clear that I was NOT the cats mother!

I have said before I accept people love their animals, I accept dogs need to be able to run and play, all I ask is that owners keep the dogs under control whilst in public areas. You may know your dog is friendly but someone who is afraid of dogs doesn't know that and quite frankly doesn't want to "make friends".

NfkDumpling Mon 20-Nov-17 10:42:00

Yes, exactly when did cats and dogs become our babies? Our animals have always had a master and missus, but I notice our offspring now refer to their dogs as fur babies. (I have to confess we do now have Granddogs. I started calling them that sarcastically and it’s misfired rather and stuck.)

Luckygirl Mon 20-Nov-17 11:13:08

It is all so very simple to me - keep them on leads in public places.

Accept that not everyone loves your dog as you do - and no, they do not have a mental aberration, they just hold a different opinion from you.

Don't get a dog that needs more running around space than your garden can supply.

It is just good manners and common sense.

I am delighted that so many people enjoy their dogs; but they must do so in a way that does not cause trouble to others. When I was working as a hospital SW I often had cause to help a patient find care for their dog while they were in hospital - I did so happily and with no problem as I recognised what their pet meant to them and how it would help their recovery to know that it was safe.

But I( do not want to have to be troubled by their dog!

whitewave Mon 20-Nov-17 11:59:04

lucky you are vastly underestimating the level of exercise a dog needs. Our dog is a Cairn and a small breed, and he goes out for a minimum of an hour twice a day, and would do more given the chance. Our garden isn’t nearly adequate! We’d need a small estate. He goes walking by the river, and on the Downs which are public spaces of course and is off the lead unless there is reason for him not to be. I think a bit of perspective is needed really, and I’m not getting at you luck just generally.

Luckygirl Mon 20-Nov-17 18:52:14

Put him on the lead please - I might want to walk by that river too!

Iam64 Mon 20-Nov-17 18:55:17

A word of support for whitewave's comments about the level of exercise dogs need. Lucky I take your point about dog owners showing respect of others, in fact I wish all dog owners would show respect for other dog owners. I'm so tired of having several off lead dogs run up to my on lead dogs with the owners shouting "it's ok, they're friendly". - aargh.
Dogs do need more than any ordinary suburban garden can provide. Mine have 45 to 60 minutes every morning, some on some off lead. They have a minimum of 30 minutes in the evening. Dogs benefit a lot from the doggy habit of sniffing things. It helps them to relax. Off lead exercise is great because they can sniff and run to their hearts content.
Like all responsible dog owners, mine are under control and on lead when its better for them and for others. The garden just doesn't do it. They need to walk with you, whether on or off lead.