Gransnet forums

Chat

Husbands

(72 Posts)
Saggi Wed 15-Nov-17 18:06:47

Is it just me?? I’ve just fed my husband gammon steak with white sauce ...runner beans and new potatoes, and he’s asked the same question he’s asked for 45 years ...” what was that meat?”.. ... when I say gammon..chicken...beef...pork...lamb...he says “ nice” I am not a fantastic cook, but I am a good one. My family always come to lunch on Sunday’s if free to do so...they clean their plates , know what they’ve eaten and look forward to pudding!! Why oh why can’t my husband tell one meat from another. My SIL says he does it for effect and to annoy me...which I find plausible,as he’s always trying to wind me up.Any suggestions what to do with him ??!

Rocknroll5me Sun 26-Nov-17 10:08:29

Dear Espee
I don’t eat meat. Because, however delicious it tastes, I don’t feel my pleasure of the palate justifies killing a sentient animal. So to have pleasure without the pain and cruelty is ideal. The vegetarian butcher is making fantastic products and has managed to get the chew right. Something that quorn doesn’t do. Good good good for them. It is not beyond humAn ingenuity to manage this. The appalling horror of the slaughterhouses will seem so barbaric in the future.
It is also a way that people who prefer a plant based diet for these ethical reasons can cater for their families. Some of the cauldron sausages and lately Linda McCartney’s range are f@ntastic. And no one screamed or cried.

DeeWBW Sun 19-Nov-17 10:48:40

Oh dear, I am quite the same. Even when eating at a restaurant, and having chosen my own meal, I find it very difficult to distinguish a difference between beef, pork and lamb. The skin tastes very different but the meat is very similar. I'm glad to know it's not just me who has this strangeness about them.

NfkDumpling Sat 18-Nov-17 15:43:24

My DD2 is vegetarian because she doesn't want to eat anything that's moved of it's own accord. She misses meat and especially bacon, and loves the pretend stuff. It's not too bad! She just doesn't want to eat a dead thing. And I can no longer drink red wine at all or white wine over 10% so have to have spritzers. I really don't like soft drinks, they're all far too sweet and have to water down fruit juice. Love beer though but can't drink more than a pint of real ale so I actually now prefer Becks Blue as a refreshing drink.

Esspee Sat 18-Nov-17 14:27:36

I've never seen the point of alcohol free wine, beer etc. either. It is just fruit juice or soft drink.
Why would a vegetarian enjoy the taste/texture of meat? I would assume they would find it abhorrent.

MissAdventure Sat 18-Nov-17 14:13:38

Some vegetarians enjoy the texture and taste of meat, and quorn is similar. Much the same as alcohol free wine, lager, and so on.

Esspee Sat 18-Nov-17 13:26:33

Regarding the use of quorn which quite a few of you serve to your families can I ask why? It is a highly processed product made from fungus, not natural at all and it is made to replicate meat.
I understand vegetarianism, but why use products which mimic meat? It doesn't make sense.
If you are vegetarian you eat vegetables, nuts, fruit, cereals etc. Why should they mimic things like sausages, chicken etc.?
This is a genuine question. I would really like to know the answer.

allule Sat 18-Nov-17 11:01:24

I'm the one who makes up rules for myself about not having things two days running.
When cooking for the family I followed a general rotation of ...something with potatoes; something with pasta; something with rice. No reason, but it did give a start in planning a meal.
Nowadays I vaguely follow the same rules, and will say....we can't have rice today, we had it yesterday..... but can't explain the reason.

sunseeker Sat 18-Nov-17 09:15:52

saggi - the next time he asks you could always say "I don't know I found it in the supermarket car park" Think that would wake him up!!

pooohbear2811 Sat 18-Nov-17 08:49:59

I had found some quorn based kfc type chicken nuggets in Morrisons a few years back. I was buying them (99p for a bag of about 20 at thr time) as they were handy for pack lunches or a picnic. Hubby started eating the ones I left in the fridge for the next day, so started taking them when we went out and about for the day. Had been using them for about 3 years when one day he saw the packet and realised they were quorn and not chicken.
I got ranted at " you know how I hate quorn, no wonder it was disgusting and I didn't like them" ..........
hmmm only didnt like them once he realised what they were and has never eaten them since he saw that packet.
Strange strange man.

AmMaz Sat 18-Nov-17 08:49:00

saggi, posts like yours make me know I don't belong on this website!

I have never and could never be in your role on the receiving end of such disrespect ultimately.

I experience the post and most of the responses as attempts to normalise the situation.

Good luck with it. I do wonder why you grace your OH with a reply when he asks his wind-up question.

Newquay Fri 17-Nov-17 22:30:54

When we were children (and poor!) we used to have (cow's cos it was large) heart which I recall as being quite tasty and on sandwiches after-nothing ever thrown away in our house! Wouldn't like it now I must say but then I'm not a great meat lover anyway.

ajanela Fri 17-Nov-17 20:33:51

Auntyflo, I use to love hearts, a casserole with hearts stuffed with sage and onion stuffing, wonderful. I also like liver.

Nan99 Fri 17-Nov-17 18:23:09

I am new at this and was interested in the subject. My DH doesn't know what meat he is eating most of the time either. I am a vegetarian so use quorn (mostly the mince) quite a lot and he doesn't mind. I have always cooked him meat but have come to a point where I don't really don't want to touch a dead animal. So he either eats veggie with me or buys himself some ready meals and eats meat when we go out. He doesn't cook often but makes some lovely roast potatoes when he does.
He has never been too fussy

Daisyboots Fri 17-Nov-17 15:49:09

I would tell him it was istrich or something and wait for his reaction.
For years my DH would turn his nose up if it was pork for dinner. Here in Portugal pork is very popular because it is cheap and it is also much tastier than in the UK. But he still pulled a face when I cooked pork. 3 weeks ago we went into Lidl and they had boneless loin of pork (vacuum packed) on special offer and he took a joint. He loved it roasted for Sunday dinner. Today we went there and it was in offer again. Next thing I know we have 5 joints in the shopping trolley. For 21 years he refused to eat or even try chicken stew made from the carcass of the chicken. Last week I made some for myself. Next thing I know he is helping himself to some. Loved it and even went to the freezer and got out another chicken "so you can make some more".

grandtanteJE65 Fri 17-Nov-17 14:52:46

We all have our quirks I suppose. My DH is good with food as he likes cooking, but he never knows where we keep anything that is neither a kitchen utensil or one of his tools!

I have to keep track of election dates, relatives' birthdays and other anniversaries etc. etc.

He missed the bus to his last physiotherapy appointment because I didn't have my eye on the clock!

Ring any bells?

Blinko Fri 17-Nov-17 14:21:16

I love my DH, he eats everything/anything I cook. always snaffles it down and comments how much he enjoyed it. I'm grateful but would love to swap him now and then for one of the DHs on here who cook now and then. How wonderful that would be!

Tessa101 Fri 17-Nov-17 13:56:24

Oh I think I would wind him up and say something like the butcher had buffalo or ostrich on offer so I thought I would get it for you to try it out to give butcher feed back..., all along it’s really what he eats everyday. Keep us updated.

kooklafan Fri 17-Nov-17 13:55:40

love the vegetarian meal idea, that will flummox him LOL, let us know what happens smile

inishowen Fri 17-Nov-17 13:37:10

I'm lucky my husband does all the cooking and enjoys shopping for meals. He has a catch phrase though "do you want me to heat that up in the microwave?" He says it when I'm half way through a meal and he thinks it's going cold. As a family we now burst out laughing when he says it.

blue60 Fri 17-Nov-17 13:28:38

Wind HIM up and say 'Hmm...I don't know'. lol

JackyB Fri 17-Nov-17 13:10:53

Allule - that is a subject for another thread - trying to get out of them what they want to eat. We have all for the most part spent 40 or 50 years of marriage thinking up anything up to 14 different meals a week and cooking them, and when we ask them to make a suggestion, or even just "what would you like to eat next week?", they can't think of anything, or say the same boring thing every time.

And then mine protests if he has to eat the same dish two days in a row.

roger71 Fri 17-Nov-17 12:24:00

change him for me.

Theoddbird Fri 17-Nov-17 12:15:02

If he doesn't like it just tell him to take over all the cooking etc as well. Goodness me, you sound brilliant and so organised. My freezer is so small as I live on a narrow boat... I definitely have freezer envy...hahaha

lesley4357 Fri 17-Nov-17 12:07:08

Granddaughter differentiates only between 'white meat' or 'brown meat' when asked what she had for lunch at school!

Mumsyface Fri 17-Nov-17 11:50:50

If that’s his worst character flaw be grateful! He’s not a mass murderer or serial rapist ?