Gransnet forums

Chat

Husbands

(71 Posts)
Saggi Wed 15-Nov-17 18:06:47

Is it just me?? I’ve just fed my husband gammon steak with white sauce ...runner beans and new potatoes, and he’s asked the same question he’s asked for 45 years ...” what was that meat?”.. ... when I say gammon..chicken...beef...pork...lamb...he says “ nice” I am not a fantastic cook, but I am a good one. My family always come to lunch on Sunday’s if free to do so...they clean their plates , know what they’ve eaten and look forward to pudding!! Why oh why can’t my husband tell one meat from another. My SIL says he does it for effect and to annoy me...which I find plausible,as he’s always trying to wind me up.Any suggestions what to do with him ??!

Luckygirl Wed 15-Nov-17 18:08:03

Feed him a veggie meal with no comment and see if he notices!

vampirequeen Wed 15-Nov-17 18:28:58

Good idea Luckygirl [girl]

Menopaws Wed 15-Nov-17 18:33:17

Sounds just like habit so you need a clever answer next time and see what he says, how about warthog?

loopyloo Wed 15-Nov-17 18:36:51

They are a bit like that aren't they? My DH only knows because of the sauce. Mint sauce or redcurrant jelly means it must be lamb, horseradish beef and heaven help me if I put a strange sauce with something.

Bluegal Wed 15-Nov-17 18:55:40

Bahahah.....this made me LOL.......my DH never seems to know what meat he's got either!!! It amuses me because am sure if I gave him dog food he would say "that was good"! On the plus side, I never ever have problems like some of my friends who say their DH's are fussy!

Liz46 Wed 15-Nov-17 18:58:37

Does he not take a turn at cooking dinner Saggi? My husband just made me beef, gravy, beautiful roast potatoes, cabbage etc. and it was lovely.

NanaandGrampy Wed 15-Nov-17 19:01:57

I think your SiL is right ! My husband spent many years when asked what he wanted in his sandwich would answer ‘anything’.

The day came when I sent him off to work with his packed lunch and he found he had bonio and cold custard sandwiches !!

Always made his choice afterwards :-)

I suggest you open a nice can of pedigree chum for him ;-)

ffinnochio Wed 15-Nov-17 19:03:42

If he did some cooking with meat, he’d soon know the difference. grin . Why not suggest he try.

Auntieflo Wed 15-Nov-17 19:34:44

Nanaandgrampy, I would have loved to see his face that lunch time. When we were hard up, and trying to be inventive, I cooked some heart. DH asked what it was, and I said 'just meat'. Even I can't remember what it tasted like, but we have not had it again.

Ailsa43 Wed 15-Nov-17 19:45:05

Why not make him a Quorn burger or Quorn sausages and see if he can tell the difference, without you saying what it is beforehand.

I say that because my husband has lost his sense of taste and for a long time he didn't tell me, he would just say something is 'nice'... so perhaps if your husband thinks fake meat is nice, he might have the same problem as mine.

Menopaws Wed 15-Nov-17 19:47:58

'Something nice'... I was thinking of something horrible actually, more annoying is when he says I don't want x, have never liked it. After all these years why didn't you say?

loopyloo Wed 15-Nov-17 20:32:38

Even this evening DH said " I like this chicken or turkey, whichever it is" It was pork and it was in fact the ready meal that he had bought!

NanKate Wed 15-Nov-17 20:48:24

Quorn yuk ?

Morgana Thu 16-Nov-17 01:12:45

Think D.H. has also lost his sense of taste. He does the cooking so we have some odd meals!!

M0nica Thu 16-Nov-17 07:22:33

Did anyone see that episode of Eat Well for Less, where the husband would give his wife a mark out of 10 for every meal?

Providing I knew the problem did not have a real cause, like loss of the sense of taste, I would just say random meats regardless of what the meal really was and see if he notices.

NfkDumpling Thu 16-Nov-17 07:31:36

My DH does the cooking (he’s a much better cook than me) and on occasion when he’s done a curry or a generous sauce with the meat I have had problems telling if it’s pork or chicken. But I’ve never had the courage to ask what the meat was!

A year or two ago when his sister came to lunch he cooked a veggie lasagne using Quorn. She’s vegetarian and spent an age pushing the lasagne around her plate trying to just eat the pasta. Eventually we did tell her it wasn’t real meat and she wolfed it down. He often uses Quorn instead of mince and it’s virtually impossible to tell the difference.

Greyduster Thu 16-Nov-17 08:21:18

I quite often use Quorn instead of minced beef as DH now says he finds it “gritty”. I recently made some breaded pork escalopes and served them with a mushroom sauce. “I don’t care for this chicken”, he said, “it’s chewy!”

Newquay Thu 16-Nov-17 09:13:18

Like you Nfk my DH chooses to do the cooking. I feel like her madge when he asks what I would like! When we were both working we both shared the cooking but he enjoys doing it now we're both retired. However I cannot believe Saggi puts up with this this and Nana "sending him off with sandwiches". DH always made his own packed lunch and Saggi IMHO you're doing him a disservice not letting/making him cook every other evening-what will he do when/if he has to cook for himself?

DanniRae Thu 16-Nov-17 09:18:09

I add Quorn mince to the real thing to make it go further. My (fussy) husband knows and doesn't even mind.
When he asks what meat it is say "Zebra" (or some other exotic meat) and see if he reacts!

Teetime Thu 16-Nov-17 09:22:28

My DH appreciates everything I give him but is never worried if I don't feed him. when I ask what he would like for lunch/dinner the reply is always the same 'Don't mind'. although that's nice its not helpful when I am racking my brains to find something different to put on a plate. he wont eat any processed foods and wants lots of vegetables, salad and fruit so that's all good.

NonnaW Thu 16-Nov-17 09:47:28

My DH does all the cooking but always discusses what we are going to eat. He’ll say something like “can you put up with ......” or will look up a different recipe to try. His cooking is always good, and always recognisable!

hildajenniJ Thu 16-Nov-17 10:22:38

My husband does the shopping and therefore guys the meat. He also does the meal planning, I cook whatever he provides. We have pigeon breasts in the freezer, I've no idea what to do with those. Perhaps I'll ask him to bring some other game or venison and make a game pie or casserole.

Baggs Thu 16-Nov-17 11:02:34

Suggestions what to do with him?

How about answering that you can't remember what the meat is, or answering "some dead animal or other"?

But why does it matter if he can't tell one meat from another? If he eats it and says it's nice what's the problem? I presume you enjoy what you cook and appreciate different meats.

Nelliemoser Thu 16-Nov-17 22:58:02

I am a vegetarian. I prefer the supermarkets "soya mince" meat free mince to the Quorn mince, I find the texture is better, softer and not so chewy.

I do regularly use the Quorn escalopes and what we refer to as "Chicken wings".
They make a really good meat alternative for a curry as they take in the flavours of the sauce.