Gransnet forums

Chat

Paying for toilet training

(27 Posts)
vampirequeen Wed 06-Dec-17 11:05:54

I really shouldn't leave the TV on in a morning. Phillip and Holly interviewing a woman who charges £500 a day......yes a day!!!!.... to potty train a child.

There is another mother on who says it's lazy parenting. Her argument is that parents have a responsibility to their children to teach them the basics.

We're not talking about children with special needs or unusual toilet problems but parents who would rather pay someone else to deal with their child.

This came to the attention of the TV programme because a mother put an advert for someone to train her 3 year old daughter. She said the applicant needs at least 10 years experience of working with children as the child can be very wilful. She also explains that the parents will not be there when this training takes place but the housekeeper, who the little girl spends most of her time with, will be around. The housekeeper is not a nanny so isn't really doing childcare.

I know I was lucky with my girls because they pretty much trained themselves. It was the days before comfy dry nappies and they both hated being wet. Both were day dry by 18 months and night dry a couple of months later. I know that was early (hence I was lucky) but my girls are now mothers and they trained their children albeit a few months later than they were trained.

I don't know if I'm being judgemental and maybe I am but maybe we should start teaching younger people that a child is for life and not just for Christmas.

Witzend Fri 08-Dec-17 21:56:29

My DGd has started using the potty rather later than her mother or her aunt, but then I was home all the time when my two were little, whereas Dgd is in nursery 4 full days a week.
I think it was certainly easier for me, since I was at home with them all day and able to make a concerted effort for the week or so that it took.