Gransnet forums

Chat

What to do?

(37 Posts)
DaisyL Sat 16-Dec-17 16:57:37

My DIL and I are feeling completely helpless. My 53 year old stepdaughter has always been a problem. She has lived abroad since she was 21. she left her first husband (by whom she had no children) after getting pregnant by an alcoholic, out of work, married French man. She went on to have two children with him (they ar now nearly 12 and 14). she and her partner tried to run a B & B in France, but she then became (or maybe always had been) and alcoholic and the chaos, dirt and screaming rows meant that the B & B failed. My husband died 21 months ago after a long illness and then my stepson went to France to try and extricate his sister. The upshot was that she and the children came back to England and I put them up for a month. She then went back to France to pick up some furniture and 3 dogs. I told her that if she brought the dogs (un-housetrained, destructive and aggressive) she could no longer stay with me. Needless to say she brought the dogs back and bought a mobile home for £6,000 with money her father left her. She was told by the vendor that he would buy it back when she was finished with it. A family owned cottage became vacant in the village so we said she could move in. The mobile home had been completely destroyed - it was filthy (used sanitary towels and cigarette ends all over the floor, rotting food in the kitchen, carpets ripped up, curtains torn.) My DIL spent four days cleaning it up - stepdaughter said she had a bad back and couldn't do it. There were 32 black bags of rubbish! The vendor was finally persuaded to give her £200 for the mobile home - this after five months. She managed to get a job as a carer but is suspended at the moment pending a disciplinary hearing on Monday. She said she had been given a few days off, but the letter arrived at my house and I opened it. The school have been in touch re the children's poor attendance. I have trued to contact the school and we have left messages back and forth but so far have failed to have a conversation. Her brother has completely washed his hands of her. My DIL (ex-wife of another brother who died) and I try to do as much as we can with the children and stepdaughter. We have helped her clean, taken her to AA, bought clothes for the children, taken them out, had them to stay, bought them food. But to be purely selfish after two years of caring for my husband I really don't want to take on two step-grandchildren on a full time basis. My question is what are the chances of them going into temporary foster care while we try and sort their mother out? Any advice would be gratefully received.

Anniebach Sat 16-Dec-17 17:04:25

Their mother may not overcome her addiction so the children would be in care until age sixteen .

DaisyL Sat 16-Dec-17 18:58:49

I understand that, but am not sure how to go about seeing if this can happen. Also my DIL and I would want to continue contact with them I just don't think it is feasible for either of us to bring them up.

Anniebach Sat 16-Dec-17 19:13:38

Perhaps contact social services childrens dept or similar but once you do it is out of your hands if they decide the children need to be removed from their home. Have you spoken to children , not about being put into care but if they are unhappy at home. Some children no matter what problems in the home love the parent. I remember a boy here being put into care, he was fostered eighty miles from home, only eleven , he kept trying to get back to his mother .

DaisyL Sun 17-Dec-17 10:35:25

This is my problem - half the time the children say they want to go into care and the other half of the time that they want to stay with there mother (or with me). I do wonder if I should try to have them but I am in my mid seventies and I'm not at all sure that I'm prepared to have two adolescent girls disrupting my life. However maybe we can come to a compromise that they come to me a couple of nights a week. I'm heading off to talk to stepdaughter now - feeling ghastly as I have a nasty cold and am on antibiotics for a badly cut finger! Talk about the Christmas spirit.

Granny23 Sun 17-Dec-17 11:16:01

Oh dear, what a mess with no obvious solution. The only thought that springs to mind is the possibility of boarding school for the girls. Would that be financially possible? It would give them stability and they would have each other for support. Family members would be able to visit and have them stay during the holidays under your own control rather than having to follow SW protocols.

silverlining48 Sun 17-Dec-17 11:46:49

Is the childrens father involved at all, and can he offer any assistance. Financial or otherwise? Its a very sad situation for all, especially the children and very difficult for you and your dil to cope with.
Instead of social services you might try phoning the nspcc or some other children's charity for advice. If social services do become involved they wouldn't necessarily remove the children but opt to support their mother if they felt she wants to make changes and they would then supervise the care of the children. You would still be able to be involved and see them regularly.

ninathenana Sun 17-Dec-17 11:52:59

I have no advice to add but would like to say that I think you are lovely for trying to help your step GC there are a few who would deem it not to be their problem.
I hope you find a solution.

BlueBelle Sun 17-Dec-17 12:03:27

I hope you find a solution what a mess you poor soul Do the girls want to come to you and how are they behaviourwise are they girls that would fit in and perhaps help you or are they entrenched in untidy poor behaviour as that’s all they have ever known
I can see how you would feel cut in two what a horrible dilemma I think you need to talk it over with some
professions before coming to any conclusions and seeing what help there would be for you if you did take them in x
Is it something that a few of you could share not very settling for the girls but just a thought

DaisyL Sun 17-Dec-17 14:17:33

Boarding school is really not an option - there isn't enough money for that. Their father lives in France and is an alcoholic who sleeps in a room in a friend's house. He couldn't take them and besides the older girl hates him. The NSPCC is a good idea - they might be able to offer some suggestions. She has been going to a local Inclusion group - they help people with drug and alcohol problems, but she doesn't go very often, she has also been to AA but again doesn't go very often - says the people aren't friendly. The school are also trying to help. I have just come back from there - I didn't of into the house just saw it through the window!!! There was a used tampon lying on the grass outside the back door. She has just had four days off (because she was suspended) but has done nothing in the house - she says she has slept the whole time - classic sign of depression. I have begged her to go to the doctor but she says it is pointless as they refuse to give her anti-depressants in case she kills herself.
Unfortunately re spreading the load for the children there is only me and my DIL. Her brother is abroad until the New Year but I very much doubt that he will help.

Thirdinline Sun 17-Dec-17 14:35:54

I think Al Anon would be a good port of call for you. You want to help, but in doing things such as cleaning her former home, people are enabling her to continue behaving as she is. This can lead to codependency- I learnt this the hard way, so I do understand what you’re going through. Basically, she has to face up to the consequences of her life choices. She can’t do that if she’s being bailed out each time she screws up. Harsh but true.

Regarding her daughters, they must be torn between love and loyalty for the parent who hasn’t deserted them and a yearning for a better life. I feel for them and hope you find the answers you are seeking here. Best wishes and well done you for taking on the responsibility of trying to sort this out.

DaisyL Sun 17-Dec-17 17:26:27

You are completely right that cleaning up after her is enabling her and we have said we won't do it any more. I'm determine to try and give the girls a good Christmas - as you say they are completely torn, rather like a dog with a cruel owner will still love him they sometimes hate their mother, but she is all they have. She has just told my DIL that she hasn't washed or changed her clothes for five days. I am definitely going to try the NSPCC tomorrow. Despite the terrible squalor they are living in the children are in reasonably good spirits most of the time.

grannyactivist Sun 17-Dec-17 23:13:10

It sounds as though the children may be suffering from neglect and the family needs more targeted help than you can give. Before you contact the NSPCC it may be worth reading their information on what the indicators of neglect are, it may help you to be more confident about recognising and addressing the issues:
www.nspcc.org.uk/preventing-abuse/child-abuse-and-neglect/neglect/

DaisyL Mon 18-Dec-17 17:06:32

Thank you grannyactivist - I have had a look at the site you mentioned - they are definitely being neglected but is the alternative of being in care and without their mother better. Progress today has been that the disciplinary hearing has said that the complaints have now been passed to head office. One of the problems is that she lies all the time - she swore to the hearing that she had not had a single drink while she as suspended, but my DIL spoke to them later and felt she had to say that this is completely untrue she has been drunk for four days -they already knew this and could smell the alcohol on her this morning. Anyway, the upshot is that we have had another blitz on the house, bought food for the children and said that she has to go to an AA meeting every day between now and Christmas and that I am going to pop in every day to make sure that she has done the washing up, put the rubbish into the bin and hoovered. It is a bit like having a child with a learning disability who is being mentored and supported in order to live independently, but at least in that case, I feel sure it would be much more worthwhile and you would feel that there were some achievements.

grannyactivist Tue 19-Dec-17 17:35:50

DaisyL I do applaud your efforts to help and can sense your reluctance to involve the 'authorities', which I have some sympathy with. But the bottom line is your help is most likely to have a sticking plaster effect than to create lasting change that will improve life permanently for the children. May I suggest that you have a plan prepared for if your best efforts don't produce the results you hope for? Neglect can have extremely damaging effects, most particularly on the self-esteem of children and at some point, for their sake, a line needs to be drawn and an appeal for help made to social services. Perhaps monitor the situation over Christmas and then decide if mum is able to put her children's needs before her own on a permanent basis. flowers

DaisyL Fri 22-Dec-17 17:45:08

Things have now moved on quite rapidly and the children have been taken away from their mother and my DIL and I have temporary care (custody?) of them. We are quite willing to share the responsibility for the girls on a temporary basis - the social worker seems to think that it will be three to six months. My GD (who is a solicitor) is worried in case we can be forced to take permanent custody of the children. I cannot believe that a court can order anyone to look after child that is not their own but does anyone have any experience of this. It is not that we don't want to look after the children more that we don't want to have sole responsibility for them - particularly when they aren't related to either of us except by marriage and we haven't been involved in their lives at all until fairly recently.

Jalima1108 Fri 22-Dec-17 17:51:58

Boarding school is really not an option - there isn't enough money for that.
There are state-run boarding schools; I'm not sure where they are.

Poor girls, they do need some stability in their lives; I don't know what the answer is but it would be quite a responsibility for you take them on.

Jalima1108 Fri 22-Dec-17 17:52:59

stateboarding.org.uk/

DaisyL Sun 31-Dec-17 13:03:24

State boarding schools still charge about £4,00 per term per child and unfortunately I don't have £24,000 pa spare income! At the moment their mother is going to AA and various alcohol support groups and the children are with me. We have a meeting with family services on Wednesday so will know then what if any support there is for me and/or my step-daughter.

Jalima1108 Sun 31-Dec-17 13:08:21

Charities such as Buttle UK or the Royal National Children’s Foundation can sometimes help with the cost of boarding.
if that helps at all

Good luck whatever you decide for the best welfare of the children (and yourself).

DaisyL Mon 01-Jan-18 09:58:08

Happy New Year to everyone! I'm feeling a bit daunted as all the rest of the family seem to be turning their backs on these children. I don't blame my step DIL as she has been great but she was divorced from their uncle years ago and has never been close to my stepdaughter, but stepdaughter's brother (my stepson) refuses to get involved. The saddest thing is that it is tarnishing my memories of my late husband as I realise that none of his three children are/were very nice people.

silverlining48 Mon 01-Jan-18 13:16:58

Try not to worry too much until the meeting on wednesday.
Let them know your concerns and ask what support, both practical and financial is available.
I feel very sad for the children, and for you to be in this difficult position. You have already done a lot for them but its important that you take your own circumstances into account too. Teenage children can be hard work anyway without all the disruption they bave had.
Make a few notes to take to the the meeting so you dont forget anything you want to ask. Good luck and hope things work out.

grannyactivist Mon 01-Jan-18 16:08:32

DaisyL you have done a wonderful job of stepping in and 'holding the fort', but the truth is that these children need a long-term future and, being realistic, that will not be with you. Difficult as it may be in the short term I do think that you should be honest about your limited capacity to bail out this family any longer and let social services know that the children's stay is time-limited.
Please let us know how you get on. flowers

Christinefrance Mon 01-Jan-18 16:43:53

Grannyactivist is right, time for you to step back a little Daisy, you cannot and should not be in the position of offering full time care to this family. Help where you can but these children need long term professional support.
I hope the meeting goes well on Wednesday but you need to stand firm with what you are able to offer.
Good luck.

Iam64 Tue 02-Jan-18 09:46:11

I've pm' d you Daisy