Gransnet forums

Chat

Offensive chips?

(79 Posts)
MissAdventure Sat 16-Dec-17 18:05:03

I bought myself a bag of chips on the way home from shopping, and the bus driver wouldn't let me get on, even with them wrapped up and in a carrier bag.
I looked up the terms and conditions when I got home (and had eaten said chips)
The driver can refuse carriage if your food is likely to cause offence to others.
Does the smell of chips offend you?
I've been on the bus countless times with teens effing and blinding.. I'm aggrieved!

KatyK Sat 16-Dec-17 18:07:54

Well the only thing that would bother me about the smell of chips on a bus, would be the fact that I would want a bag too!

vampirequeen Sat 16-Dec-17 18:11:27

Bloody jobsworth. I could see his problem if you were going to eat them but they were just in your bag. I hate the smell of wet fish but I've sat on buses where men have left work on the fish dock so stink of wet fish and have a kit of fish wrapped in newspaper.

Jalima1108 Sat 16-Dec-17 18:13:59

Well, you could have offended me if you hadn't offered me a chip.

Officious prat.
Give someone a little bit of power and some will abuse it.

NotTooOld Sat 16-Dec-17 18:30:38

Just a miserable g*t, MissAdventure. Write and complain if it makes you feel better. If they were wrapped up and in your bag I can't see what the problem was.

Marelli Sat 16-Dec-17 18:43:28

Not long ago I was on local bus to St Andrews and it picked up passengers as it went through the outlying villages. It was necessary to stop for 10 minutes or so as the driver was a bit too early at one of the larger villages, so he nipped across to the chip shop and sat munching happily in his cab until it was time to leave again! No jobsworth there!

BlueBelle Sat 16-Dec-17 18:52:37

Nasty bus driver I would feel really aggrieved?? just to show some do have the Christmas spirit a lady ahead of me today put her money down and said I ve got to pay I forgot my bus pass and the driver said take your money back that’s ok, so good on him ??

annsixty Sat 16-Dec-17 19:47:49

Not smells but when I was young and living in a mining community, before the advent of pithead showers we would share seats with miners black from head to toe with coal dust.
We never batted an eyebrow. Too many snowflakes theses days.

Jalima1108 Sat 16-Dec-17 19:49:12

I used to read all the notices on the bus when I was a child.

'No spitting' - 'why would I spit at anyone, Mum?'

annsixty Sat 16-Dec-17 20:00:56

And we could not take batteries which needed filling with acid as they may spill and burn the seats, what about us?
No contest with the seats,

starbird Sat 16-Dec-17 23:31:01

The bus back from town where I live stops right outside MacDonalds. Many the person getting on with a burger and fries, and many the passengers who salivate at the aroma!

Beau Sun 17-Dec-17 00:26:15

Well I'm not keen on people eating a takeaway curry on the Virgin train from London to Manchester but a wrapped bag of chips on a bus?! That's a bit much, yes I would have been annoyed with the driver.

MissAdventure Sun 17-Dec-17 00:46:38

I was! He still made me and my grandson get off with our bags of shopping. Miserable sod!

callgirl1 Sun 17-Dec-17 02:00:15

Last Monday I went to town and seeing as it was lunchtime when I was about to set off for home, I bought fish and chips for Lynne and me. Rang for a taxi, asked if it was alright to bring fish and chips in the taxi, he said he didn`t mind, but he`d have to go and get himself some after he dropped me off!

janeainsworth Sun 17-Dec-17 02:35:21

I’m sorry but I am with the driver.
I dislike the smell of other people’s food on buses and trains and the sight of them eating it is even worse.

BlueBelle Sun 17-Dec-17 05:22:34

They were wrapped up for heavens sake Jane and she wasn’t eating them
I think they should ban unclean smelly people I sat next to a man smelling of dried urine the other day ( not for the first time) and I d have been very glad to smell chips

It’s pedantic, jobsworthy and throughly unnecessary

NotAGran55 Sun 17-Dec-17 05:54:42

It does seem a bit over the top I must say . It's years since I bought a bag of chips and can't remember how smelly they are through layers of paper and plastic , but I can't imagine they were that bad !
I'd rather smell chips on a bus than stale cigarette smoke on clothing and breath near to me .
How did you get home as a matter of interest MissAdventure ?

Nelliemoser Sun 17-Dec-17 06:49:45

Can I come and eat my vinegared chips or kippers and smoke in your living room or your office? I expect bus and taxi drivers get really annoyed and worried about the possibility of passengers throwing up. IMO it is very bad manners.
How does the bus driver know you are not going to eat them . Spill them on the stairs etc. Swift them down with a can of Stella?

MiceElf Sun 17-Dec-17 08:04:51

I’ve got off a bus and walked home a number of times as the smell of other people’s junk food was so offensive. One person may find the penetrating smell of a Macdonalds or a bag of greasy chips enticing, but most do not. It’s all about consideration for others.

JessM Sun 17-Dec-17 08:44:30

Twice when boarding a particular train service someone has sat opposite me and eaten a takeaway curry. Not pleasant. If one was a bus driver and someone had just once dropped a packet of chips on the bus, I'd be on a mission to keep chips off the bus. The drivers are not paid to clear up but they do have to put up with complaints or cope if someone falls over due to a dropped chip. Next time you want to take chips home OP, put them in a Tesco bag or something.

Maggiemaybe Sun 17-Dec-17 09:01:11

Some people are bad travellers and the smell of someone else's tea won't help them. There's not a lot a bus company can do about BO, but surely keeping the bus as odour free as possible is a good thing? If the chips in this case (m'lud) hadn't smelt, the driver wouldn't have known they were there, surely?

MissAdventure Sun 17-Dec-17 09:02:31

They were in a bag.

MissAdventure Sun 17-Dec-17 09:22:48

Notagran
I caught the next bus, which came along a minute or two after. With my chips still in my bag. grin

suzied Sun 17-Dec-17 09:24:31

If said chips were wrapped up in a bag and the OP had no intention of eating on the bus them how did the driver know she had them ? Must have smelt. If he says yes to chips, Then it’s yes to kebabs, curries, Chinese takeaways . Poor driver and poor other passengers having to put up with that all day/ night not to mention greasy deposits on seats and discarded wrappings, boxes and litter on the bus. I’m with the driver. I’d ban all food / drink on public transport apart from maybe long distance trains and then only allow cold food and stuff from the dining car and people would be fined if they left litter around, BTW wouldn’t the chips have been cold by the time the OP got home?

MissAdventure Sun 17-Dec-17 09:27:39

No, they were just right. Its a twenty minute walk, around 5 or 6 minutes on the bus. Happy days.