Gransnet forums

Chat

I think I am going to embarrass my best friend

(58 Posts)
Miep1 Sun 17-Dec-17 12:06:27

We live together and have a whale of a time. All year, I have been buying things for her, for Christmas - mostly small, silly things, but some larger. I've just unearthed them all and had a marathon wrapping session and found that they fill a black dustbin bag! The trouble is, I am impossible to buy things for, coupled with the fact that I know she has very little money, so I said there were a couple of books I'd like. Now, PLEASE don't start thinking that a)I am showing off by buying more things (every single thing was bought with thought and love, I just hadn't realised how many there were after a year!) or b) I think I deserve more presents - I most definitely do NOT. But now I think she'll spend Christmas morning crying. Any ideas?

kittylester Sun 17-Dec-17 12:09:38

Don't give her everything? Save some for her birthday or give them to charity.

maryeliza54 Sun 17-Dec-17 12:12:44

Don’t give them all to her on Christmas Day. You can save some for her birthday and the others space out during the year. Would any be suitable for your local food bank - you could give those as thanks for having a dear friend and for being able to have a great Christmas with her.

maryeliza54 Sun 17-Dec-17 12:13:13

kittylester great minds ?

Christinefrance Sun 17-Dec-17 12:15:39

I agree with maryeliza give some presents to others who will have very little this Christmas, your friend won't feel uncomfortable so it's win win all round ?

BlueBelle Sun 17-Dec-17 12:27:40

I totally agree keep some back you ve got Easter Valentine’s Day birthday, or give something in her name to a hospital or charity or a family you know who haven’t got much
I totally believe you it wasn’t done to look good but she will feel really back footed I know I would I d hate to have a sackful of presents to my one or perhaps two and it would take all the pleasure away

MawBroon Sun 17-Dec-17 12:33:45

Presents are supposed to bring pleasure but what you have got planned sounds as if you are prepared to make her cry. That is just cruel.
Seriously, rethink, choose 1,2 or at most 3 and in future look for one SPECIAL thing, not small silly things which will at best embarrass her and at worst insult her (what were you thinking?)

Artyfarty Sun 17-Dec-17 13:13:14

Sort out two or three nice things but donate the rest to the homeless or maybe a local carehome.

M0nica Sun 17-Dec-17 16:26:33

Next year, just curb your impulses and buy nothing for her until a fortnight before the event you need a gift for. Put the money saved in a jar and donate to charity at the end of the year.

Luckygirl Sun 17-Dec-17 16:33:12

Sounds bonkers to me.....here are lots of presents, which I know will make you feel terrible and be upset, but I'm going to give them to you anyway!

nanaK54 Sun 17-Dec-17 17:18:26

Another one saying please don't do this to your friend

Luckygirl Sun 17-Dec-17 17:51:36

I think this post is a wind-up.

BeeWitch Sun 17-Dec-17 17:59:20

As you seem aware of how your friend will feel, then please just give her one or two gifts. You can always donate other items to a charity shop or two.

Nannarose Sun 17-Dec-17 18:05:48

I would simply keep some back, I wouldn't give them away if they were chosen specifically. I buy gifts for friends & relatives when I see something I think they will like. Then at Xmas / birthday / other occasion I look them out and give what seems the best at the time.
Having said that, you must be close. DH & I, and my sister & I, have an arrangement that if a present seems 'just right' we won't worry if it costs a bit less one year or a bit more the next, and we won't buy just for the sake of it.
So last year, DH only got a box of his favourite sweets. This year he has 3 books & a pair of special slippers as well.

BlueBelle Sun 17-Dec-17 18:17:58

Luckygirl I was starting to think that

Bellanonna Sun 17-Dec-17 19:23:49

OP posted in October about a carer who killer her cats, saying

“And the birch ran over and killed my beautiful cats AND laughed. I wish I could kill HER”.

confused

Crafting Sun 17-Dec-17 19:59:19

Oh! On of those posts ?

NanaandGrampy Sun 17-Dec-17 20:04:37

Give her one or two and a box with just a letter in telling her that she brings such joy to your life you’ve decided to keep Christmas going all year! Each month she can expect a little box with something you hope she’ll love as a reminder of how great you think she is !

Sorted :-) xx

Artyfarty Sun 17-Dec-17 20:14:29

Definitely a wind-up!

Jalima1108 Sun 17-Dec-17 20:25:29

I think it is you who has the problem Miep, not your friend who doesn't have much money - why would you want to upset her.

OTT behaviour like this is often a sign of a personality disorder - I am not suggesting you have one but the trend is worrying. We have a friend who exhibits similar behaviour patterns and she is diagnosed as bi-polar.

FarNorth Sun 17-Dec-17 20:57:02

"But now I think she'll spend Christmas morning crying. Any ideas?"

Surely the sensible thought process after realising this is "I've bought too many things. I won't give her all of them as I don't want her to be upset."

Elegran Sun 17-Dec-17 21:24:10

Quite simple, if you know that it would embarrass her, don't do it. Why did you need to ask?

Eloethan Mon 18-Dec-17 00:56:40

I can understand the very generous impulse you had to buy things your friend would really like. But if it is likely to make her feel embarrassed and upset, you shouldn't give them all to her now. As others have said, give only one or two presents and save the rest for other occasions.

BlueBelle Mon 18-Dec-17 03:34:00

Oh was it the same poster who had the killed cats Bellanonna? well now I m thinking for sure it’s another wind up .... poster must be bored and looking for fun at our expense

Nannarose Mon 18-Dec-17 07:53:19

Oh dear, how sad.