Gransnet forums

Chat

Is there a 'housekeeping' job you always do before Christmas?

(78 Posts)
kittylester Wed 20-Dec-17 13:57:22

I always wash the glasses, the glass shelves and the glass doors in the kitchen cupboards. And, I always clean the silver.

This year, I am going to put cards in front of the silver! tchblush

The glasses are washed however - priorities and all that!wine

kittylester Fri 22-Dec-17 22:11:49

I cleaned my silver this afternoon! haloemoticon.

grannysyb Fri 22-Dec-17 21:35:15

Yes, cleaning the b*** silver and five large copper pans and kettle, doing it now and have come on here for light relief!

Jalima1108 Fri 22-Dec-17 20:06:46

Ah! I should have known, the DGC have these posh fridges tchgrin

kittylester Fri 22-Dec-17 19:53:54

The fridge has a water dispenser which is filtered - don't panic!

whitewave Fri 22-Dec-17 19:43:11

I used to then the light dawned and realised that I was flogging myself for no good reason whatsoever, so I do the essentials like stuffing the turkey and normal housework -although I do zero in the week between Christmas and new year - and simply relax and enjoy good company, good books and good food and of course the odd tipple or two and walks with the dog.

Chewbacca Fri 22-Dec-17 19:03:11

Filter? What filter? On the fridge? Or the washing machine? I didn't know they had a filter to empty.

slinks away in shame and embarrassment blush

SpringyChicken Fri 22-Dec-17 18:59:34

The mouse filter, obviously.

Jalima1108 Fri 22-Dec-17 17:57:42

Filter? what have I missed?

Luckygirl Fri 22-Dec-17 17:33:04

Change the filter? - what filter?!

kittylester Fri 22-Dec-17 16:21:05

Ok, I succumbed (succame?) and did the silver - it does look lovely but my hands smell a bit funny now!!

Only 9 years chewbacca, we had our kitchen redone 12 years ago. DH pulls the fridge out every six months to change the filter but, unfortunately, I'm always out so don't get to witness the event. Last time he did it there was a very dead mouse there but I suspect he only moved that and not the rest of whatever was behind it.

Jalima1108 Fri 22-Dec-17 14:48:00

I must go and ice these cakes.

goldengirl Fri 22-Dec-17 10:01:43

Just clean the bathrooms and a quick vac downstairs because of the cat hair. I feel I ought to wash the towels too; oh yes and make a cake and perhaps some scones. And finish the present wrapping....................the list is endless and I'm beginning to panic though I tell myself it's only a one day event!!!!!

Chewbacca Fri 22-Dec-17 09:25:00

clean under the fridge and washing machine? shock

I've been in this house for 9 years and haven't seen the space where either of those appliances are since the day they were installed! Was I supposed to drag them out regularly and clean underneath? Oh the shame! blush

Luckygirl Fri 22-Dec-17 09:04:49

Clean under the fridge and washing machine - what the actual heck???!!!

Cubagran Thu 21-Dec-17 23:07:10

Dusted round before the decorations went up. Clean bedding in spare room for D and DSIL Clean bathroom and put fresh towels out. That's it.

Overthehills Thu 21-Dec-17 22:04:02

I hope
a) that the sun doesn’t shine and show up the uncleaned (on the inside) windows
b) the DGC wear dark socks/tights that don’t show the dirt that hasn’t been steam cleaned off - they just won’t keep their slippers on!
I will clean the silver cutlery etc and the brasses and the spare bedrooms. DH deep cleaned the oven.
Other than that just the usual.
Don’t know anybody here in Scotland who does the Hogmanay clean anymore ...

SpringyChicken Thu 21-Dec-17 21:45:17

I wash the glass lampshades in December before the deccies come out. The difference it makes is amazing.

Legs55 Thu 21-Dec-17 21:35:15

I'm with luckygirl housework is low on my list of priorities, I'd rather be in my garden. Luckily I'm going to my DD's for Christmas & not expecting any visitors.

I am in the process of dusting, cleaning & hoovering but life keeps getting in the waytchblush.

If DD & her family do come over they won't mind whether the house is spotless or nottchgrin

Jalima1108 Thu 21-Dec-17 19:52:36

Can you buy the coleslaw and put it into your own nice dish?
I would make the potato salad though, they never seem to cook the potatoes enough in the bought ones!
In fact, 20 sounds a lot but they will only be taking a spoonful each.

Daisyboots Thu 21-Dec-17 19:03:42

For some reSon I decided to clean the eye level oven on Tuesday evening. Not a deep clean but a general clean. Today the lovely A came so everything is immaculate but with 3 dogs I dont know whether it will last until the 26th when we have friends for lunch. I thought I had finished all my shopping and then today, despite me asking several times over the past few weeks if there was anything I could do for her Xmas Eve dinner and being told it was all in hand, she asks me to make potato salad and coleslaw for 20+ people.

Cherrytree59 Thu 21-Dec-17 18:09:14

Not much house cleaning in the Cherry household.
DGC here until later Christmas eve.
Lots of messsy bakng and sticky fingers,

Last year made window cleaners a warm cuppa and remarked that I hadn't had time as yet to clean the inside of the windows.
They said no problem
Tah dah windows sparkling inside and out.tchwink

Blinko Thu 21-Dec-17 17:48:33

Fresh towels and bedlinen.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 21-Dec-17 17:26:53

I clean the kitchen cupboards before I start the Christmas baking, which serves the purpose of checking whether I have everything I need in the way of stores, as well.

Clean windows and wash all the floors, not just the ones we walk on most. Polish silver, copper and brass.

Then before Hogmany I file away all receipted bills etc. in an envelope marked with the year that is ending and store them in the attic, taking out the oldest set kept there and destroying it.

Today I finished the Christmas baking, so tomorrow I shall clean the fridge and make one or two dishes that can keep in fridge or freezer for Christmas Day and Boxing Day.

I adore Christmas, and I enjoy housekeeping, especially now that I don't have work to go to!

Jalima1108 Thu 21-Dec-17 17:26:30

We've been out for a few meals recently so why am I huffing and sighing at the thought of cooking this evening?

kittylester Thu 21-Dec-17 17:24:02

I think it's all got to me too!! I seem to have just about finished! What have I forgotten? I'll have to clean the silver if I can't think of anything else to do - HELP!!