Gransnet forums

Chat

Is there a 'housekeeping' job you always do before Christmas?

(77 Posts)
kittylester Wed 20-Dec-17 13:57:22

I always wash the glasses, the glass shelves and the glass doors in the kitchen cupboards. And, I always clean the silver.

This year, I am going to put cards in front of the silver! tchblush

The glasses are washed however - priorities and all that!wine

GrandmaMoira Wed 20-Dec-17 13:59:56

I have a dinner service I only use at Christmas so that has to be washed before use, as well as the glasses. I also have bit of a clear out in the kitchen to make space for the extra food.

Luckygirl Wed 20-Dec-17 14:01:45

In a word - NO!

I am not a devotee of housework - nor even of tidiness! - and definitely not at Christmas time! tchgrin

cornergran Wed 20-Dec-17 14:05:39

I actually do a bit less. Lots I can't get to easily with the decorations and I figure Father Christmas doesn't mind dust, he's used to it with all those chimneys. Back in the day I did polish silver and wash any number of things, always cleaned the front door, now? Well, no.

Eglantine21 Wed 20-Dec-17 14:08:56

Dust the bath tchsmile I use the ensuite and hardly ever go in the bathroom. It's amazing how the dust just comes from nowhere!

kittylester Wed 20-Dec-17 14:19:32

One of our rooms has an ensuite which I have to remember to check - Eglantine. Thanks for reminding me!!

paddyann Wed 20-Dec-17 15:05:27

its for Hogmanay here ,traditional to have a deep clean before the New Year,windows,cooker,clean bedding etc etc everything has to be sparkling before midnight ,I well remember my mum on her knees washing the kitchen floor at 11.45 because she's dropped some gravy and the whole floor had to be clean as a whistle .Its a tradition we still keep,think its from our Pagan roots ...lol

hildajenniJ Wed 20-Dec-17 15:07:57

We have a dining room. We eat in the kitchen the rest of the year, so at Christmas I dust and polish the Welsh dresser, and decorate it. I generally gets ignored for the rest of the year. Out of sight is out of mind as they say.??

Teetime Wed 20-Dec-17 15:09:07

Clean the oven and change the beds

BlueBelle Wed 20-Dec-17 15:24:16

No

Bathsheba Wed 20-Dec-17 15:26:59

Luckygirl I think we could be friends if we lived near each other tchgrin

Jalima1108 Wed 20-Dec-17 16:06:48

Well usually I do, but this year I'm not sure when the workmen will be back so is there any point in deep cleaning?
I think I'll do it at the end of winter when the sun is in that certain direction where it shows up every mark.

I did clean the inside of the downstairs windows yesterday though!

MissAdventure Wed 20-Dec-17 16:08:42

I used to have the flat all pristine by Christmas eve. Beds changed, windows sparking, etc. Not of late though..

Jalima1108 Wed 20-Dec-17 16:09:37

Well, I have dusted and vacuumed but not steam cleaned the floors (I'll just wait for the DGC to come and slide round in their nice cream or white tights and get them filthy blush).
My friend puts nice Christmassy cloths on the surfaces of furniture so that she doesn't have to dust over Christmas.

lemongrove Wed 20-Dec-17 17:15:50

I do less actually.All the garlands/ cards etc hide a myriad of sins.Once they come down in Jan I shall have a good clean.
I may clean out my pipes ( personal ones) with goodly amounts of gin and tonic though.tchsmile

rockgran Wed 20-Dec-17 17:16:27

Yes Paddyann - in my childhood I remember the rush before midnight to empty bins and ashtrays even while there was a party in full swing. Then my dark haired dad was sent to stand outside in the cold so that he could first foot us with coal . Thanks, I'd forgotten all that! grin

BBbevan Wed 20-Dec-17 17:22:15

Bathrooms spotless. Beds all made up. Nibbles ready to be put out. China for Christmas dinner all sorted. Just a large lasagne and a chicken cobbler to make and freeze. Then it's sit and wait until DS, DiL, 2DGDs, DD andSil arrive. Chaos but lovely.

Chewbacca Wed 20-Dec-17 17:29:34

Crockery, cutlery and glasses cleaned and polished, ready for visitors. Oven was deep cleaned early December. Beds changed on Christmas eve. And I shampooed the rug in the living room yesterday.

NotAGran55 Wed 20-Dec-17 17:51:34

I get the cooker professionally cleaned .

gillybob Wed 20-Dec-17 18:28:37

I’m playing on Gransnet and DH is shampooing the stair carpet . Bless him.

TerriBull Wed 20-Dec-17 18:59:57

Fresh bed linen in the spare bedrooms for overnight guests. Clean towels in the bathrooms. Red table cloth on dining table, and gold place mats, scented candles stategically placed. Clean glasses for pre dinner drinks and during dinner drinks. Grandchldren coming on Christmas Eve for roast dinner probably beef because we are having turkey on Christmas Day. We are going European in letting them open their presents on the Eve rather than the Day so the living room will be trashed for a while. Brief respite quieter Christmas Day but more family arriving Boxing Day. I like the house to look clean and sparkling pre Christmas even if it looks like a bomb site soon afterwards.

Nelliemoser Wed 20-Dec-17 19:16:01

Luckygirl Not being tidy is my line as well, but I spent so much time in the garden this year and not cleaning the house I do feel guilty.
I will wash the windows inside and probably put the carpet shampoer around. If I have time.
Probably should change my bed but unless I do it soon it will be hanging about in the spare room until the family comes.
I can't just put them out to dry on the line and then stick them back on the bed as I did in the summer .
I must make sure I can find enough sheets and duvets for the guests.

watermeadow Wed 20-Dec-17 20:35:06

All the usual jobs plus cleaning the brass, polishing the furniture, cleaning paintwork and windows, mirrors and pictures, feather -dustering ceilings and light shades, changing bedding in spare room, washing throws and cushion covers.
Baking cake and biscuits, making cauldron of soup, big shop.
I don’t have to cook Christmas dinner and Boxing Day is a cold buffet. Babysitting all day tomorrow.

ninathenana Wed 20-Dec-17 23:44:44

Don't need to we're going to stay with friends 24th-27th

Moocow Thu 21-Dec-17 00:37:05

Same deep clean that I do before we go on holiday. Sounds mad but only the minimum amount of cleaning gets over the following week.