Gransnet forums

Chat

THAT dress.

(219 Posts)
chicken Fri 22-Dec-17 14:10:01

I saw in the newspaper that Megan Markel's dress cost £56,000. To me, this an obscene amount to spend on a dress and very poor public relations when there are so many homeless, and thousands struggling to make ends meet on inadequate pay. Surely Kate has got the right idea when she buys "normal" clothes and looks lovely in them.

Jalima1108 Fri 22-Dec-17 17:20:03

Showcasing it for the designer Baggs

You couldn't wear a dress like that more than once or twice could you!

Kittylester I can hear my DD saying 'Oh no, not one of your feelings Mum!

Jalima1108 Fri 22-Dec-17 17:21:41

Bluebelle I'm not looking or hoping for trouble - on the contrary I hope they'll be very happy.
But the DD always say I am fey tchhmm

Anniebach Fri 22-Dec-17 17:40:12

BlueBell I did find the photographs so over the top, why not photographs of a happy, smiling couple not that eye gazing, cuddled up look. Lacked dignity . Great they are madly in love, but surely an engagement ring and a wedding date proves that.

Jalima1108 Fri 22-Dec-17 17:46:51

Is that snow on the ground?
Not a very practical choice for chilly Britain, more red carpet !

Brrr

NanaandGrampy Fri 22-Dec-17 17:51:02

She earned her money - if she wants to —waste— spend her money on that dress it’s no ones business but hers.

BlueBelle Fri 22-Dec-17 18:05:07

Oh some of you sound so critical and unpleasant and sour grapes I couldn’t give a hoot about celebrities or Royals they re all just people but if you don’t like them why even look at their pictures why not just ignore them what, are they doing that is making you so annoyed and so worked up

Jane10 if you find her just ‘ordinary looking’ I d love to know who you find beautiful in the world?

suzied Fri 22-Dec-17 18:14:16

Kate and co get given so many clothes they never need to buy any- when they photographed wearing them they are sold out so it’s a good marketing strategy. I like Meghan, she is gorgeous and obviously makes Harry happy. A bespoke couture gown can cost 6 figures if it is handsewn from fine fabrics.

ffinnochio Fri 22-Dec-17 18:24:29

I like MM’s dress. A mix of refined and showy - like that take on style. Shows independence and individuality.
Don’t care if she paid for it, is merely showcasing it, or not to anyone’s taste.

Jane10 Fri 22-Dec-17 19:35:51

BlueBelle beauty is obviously in the eye of the beholder. I think some Indian ladies are beautiful eg Shilpa Shetty. I recently saw an old photo of Sophia Loren when she was young and absolutely gorgeous.
I truly don't think Megan M is anything special to look at at all. But it really doesn't matter!

Anniebach Fri 22-Dec-17 20:21:46

Vivienne Lee for me and Ingrid Bergman saying goodbye to Bogart in Casablanca looked so beautiful in those minutes.

Americans have very wide mouths , seem more teeth than eyes. Oh that sounds bitchy sorry.

merlotgran Fri 22-Dec-17 20:28:07

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5204907/Princess-Michael-Kent-wears-racist-Blackamoor-brooch.html

Breathtakingly stupid?

Moocow Fri 22-Dec-17 20:34:46

Doesn't ever matter What we think, the media have been given another lifeline at keeping in work. Hope they will be happy and long lasting as i do for anyone else as a happiness is a good thing for any country, nhs, overall well-being etc etc. As for the money spent, as has already been said she must have a lot more people asking her to wear their clothes, jewels etc, just as anyone with loadsamoney. It's those who pay the full price that are the daft ones, spending too much just to say it's a limited edition or whatever, still if they are happy and not doing anyone any harm then let's live and try our own best.

maryeliza54 Fri 22-Dec-17 21:08:08

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

annsixty Fri 22-Dec-17 21:38:12

Do you feel strongly about it maryeliza? ?

BlueBelle Fri 22-Dec-17 22:04:11

?

Anniebach Fri 22-Dec-17 22:20:10

Why not have engagement photographs, must everyone marry in secret, pretend they are not celebrating Christmas because there is poverty in the country?

Nannylovesshopping Fri 22-Dec-17 22:20:50

Am glad to see the spirit of Christmas is alive and well tchwink

Hilltopgran Fri 22-Dec-17 22:28:48

I think it interesting how an estimate of probable cost of a dress in a national paper is believed to be the fact. No one knows what arrangements people make to acquire or wear designer dresses, designers need publicity to survive, what better free publicity than engagement photos. Same daily paper has listed Duchess of Cambridge spending over £100,000 on dresses in last year. But no one really knows what private arrangements are made.
Guess that is why the Queen who has everything made up twice in case of accidents has her own private designer, no one knows what it costs!

maryeliza54 Fri 22-Dec-17 22:35:25

Oh don’t be ridiculous ab who has engagement photos these days except entitled idiots? Who said about getting married in secret ( if only). How did Christmas come into this? Those photos were just so stupidly over the top, completely divorced from real life, self indulgent claptrap - it could have been done if it needed to be done in a much more low key way rather than this oh look at us no one has ever been in love like us way.

Anniebach Fri 22-Dec-17 22:49:05

So it is what they do, you are carping about them having photographs taken, I didn't like them but didn't see it as as a two fingers up to the homeless

Christmas came into this because again it is awesome display of money spending is it not, should no one spend more for food over Christmas than the rest of the year because there are people who cannot afford to? Did you not say of the woman spending several thousands pounds on presents it was her money?

I care deeply about the homeless and those living in poverty but I do not have a problem with people who are wealthy , you do.

NanaandGrampy Fri 22-Dec-17 22:52:23

Why wouldn't a young couple , any young couple want to celebrate their engagement with pictures ?

I presume they paid to have them taken or the service was offered for free. Some people might enjoy seeing them. You plainly don't Maryeliza but just because you don't enjoy it doesn't mean no one else can .

The price of those photos would not save the NHS , improve benefits or reduce global warming .

Jalima1108 Fri 22-Dec-17 23:29:07

um, my DC had wedding photos taken, very nice ones too.
But we do have our own professional photographers en famille so to speak. As did the Royal Family, not sure about now of course.

Jalima1108 Fri 22-Dec-17 23:30:49

I bet the Americans are lapping it up and loving the photos!

Maryeliza we have no idea just how much money the Royal Family give towards charities, including those for the homeless.

radicalnan Sat 23-Dec-17 09:14:02

Another great 'humanitarian' done up like a dog's dinner in a small fortune. They certainly know how to lavish money on themselves. I think she is so false...but time will tell.

There is not dress in the world worth anything like that money, shame on her for promoting such a idea.

ctussaud Sat 23-Dec-17 09:15:29

For a daily dose of bile and vitriol, look no further than Gransnet.