Gransnet forums

Chat

THAT dress.

(219 Posts)
chicken Fri 22-Dec-17 14:10:01

I saw in the newspaper that Megan Markel's dress cost £56,000. To me, this an obscene amount to spend on a dress and very poor public relations when there are so many homeless, and thousands struggling to make ends meet on inadequate pay. Surely Kate has got the right idea when she buys "normal" clothes and looks lovely in them.

mrsmopp Tue 26-Dec-17 11:24:27

We expect them to look good though, don't we?
If she had turned up in something from Primark there would have been twice as many posts on here criticising her for that! I don't believe the price quoted is correct anyway.
Leave them alone.

Anniebach Mon 25-Dec-17 22:48:42

Kate's coat was lovely

Moocow Mon 25-Dec-17 22:23:47

Can't believe this thread but just to throw this in the mix, the coat worn by Kate to church for the Christmas service, cost twice as much as Meghan's choice for church today. (If the media are to be believed.)

gagsy Mon 25-Dec-17 20:42:49

I wish them well. I prefer more formal photos but that’s just me. Whatever the cost of the dress I didn’t think her choice was suitable. In private the Royal family are more relaxed

Christinefrance Mon 25-Dec-17 09:01:39

I agree too BlueBelle think Princess Pushy showed how many people feel with her brooch. So sad. I wish them both a happy Christmas and good luck for the future.

Chewbacca Mon 25-Dec-17 08:28:55

Completely agree Bluebell, some of the comments on here are filled with such bitterness, envy and spite. There should have been more than the one deletion imo.

suzied Mon 25-Dec-17 07:48:11

Agree with B.B. above. There are some veiled racist and unpleasant comments here. Fortunately the minority.

Nannylovesshopping Mon 25-Dec-17 07:42:21

[BlueBelle] completely and utterly agree with everything you have written here, there are many on this thread who should be very ashamed, thankfully in the minority on this site

BlueBelle Mon 25-Dec-17 05:47:38

Why are people beating her so ? is it really just pure jealousy is it because ‘ a foreigner’ has penetrated the English ranks is it because she’s of mixed race heritage, or are people so small minded they just want to break down anyone that seems to have what they haven’t got
There was none of this bile for the English roses that were Diana or Kate so it’s not about status and being a ‘commoner’ I m beginnng to think it IS inherent racism and that is shocking and makes me ashamed of my fellow countrymen

WilmaKnickersfit Mon 25-Dec-17 01:13:39

This is the dress. It's perfectly decent and shows nothing. Why should anyone advise she shouldn't wear it? I think they look great in all the photos and Harry has never looked better.

As for the cost, do people think the gowns worn by the Royal Family are run up by a local seamstress? ALL of the gowns are custom made by designers and cost thousands of pounds. We're talking about names like Christian Dior, Alexander McQueen and Jenny Packham. MM paid for the dress herself, but didn't pay anything like the amount quoted everywhere. The price is just another stick to beat her with.

suzied Sun 24-Dec-17 19:20:51

She will have a bespoke wedding gown. Designers will be falling over themselves for the privilege/ marketing opportunity.

newnanny Sun 24-Dec-17 19:01:41

Some people sound very bitter. It is up to each couple what they spend on photos and what they wear. What one couple chooses to wear does not affect others. I hope they are very happy together.

Jalima1108 Sun 24-Dec-17 16:18:06

varian grin
of course, a cheap copy may have no lining, we could end up very embarrassed!

I rather liked Pippa's wedding dress - something borrowed?

varian Sun 24-Dec-17 15:27:47

How do we know the top was sheer? Could there have been a skin-tone lining? We need to know this before we go out and try to buy one just like it.

mrsmopp Sun 24-Dec-17 15:12:32

I wonder what the wedding dress will cost? Maybe she could borrow the one Kate wore, which was pretty stunning.

Fennel Sun 24-Dec-17 11:49:28

How do we know that the dress cost £56,000?
(I haven't read the entire thread, perhaps this has already been asked.)

Chewbacca Sun 24-Dec-17 11:44:53

Dunno Jalima but have another! grin

Jalima1108 Sun 24-Dec-17 11:38:33

Time to go and make a trifle

What was in that coffee?

Chewbacca Sun 24-Dec-17 11:36:34

Jalima's living dangerously today Anniebach! grin

Anniebach Sun 24-Dec-17 11:26:53

Jalima grin

Jalima1108 Sun 24-Dec-17 11:01:09

With their blue passports

[ducks for cover]

Anniebach Sun 24-Dec-17 10:56:54

I predict -

Harry and Megan will spend much of their time touring the commonwealth . It is top of queenie's priorities, and Harry loves travelling .

Jalima1108 Sun 24-Dec-17 10:53:54

Good post BridgeIt

Jalima1108 Sun 24-Dec-17 10:49:55

Italy has way more ancient buildings and cathedrals than here and isnt a monarchy
Italy hasn't been a country for very long though.

And they have a Pope. Well, The Pope

that was said with a wink btw before I get shredded by anyone.

Jalima1108 Sun 24-Dec-17 10:45:18

In the old days, the monarchy bled the people dry
but not any more - HM is probably the best value for money as a Head of State and Head of the Commonwealth.
Before anyone mentions 'Empire' - please note that more countries are wanting to join our Commonwealth.

I think if we were to have an elected Head of State the total costs would be far higher.

I don't care how much Meghan spent on her dress - we, the taxpayer, did not buy it for her. And if she bought it and was not loaned it, I think she is clever enough and concerned enough to auction it off and to donate the money to help others less fortunate than herself.