Gransnet forums

Chat

Not reading the whole thread

(77 Posts)
Baggs Thu 28-Dec-17 09:15:36

I've noticed recently a few complaints about people not reading a whole thread. I think it's perfectly acceptable to answer an opening post without wading through lots of other responses. Sometimes one might be repeating what someone else has said but I don't see that as a problem.

So, I'm looking for an acronym for "I haven't read the whole thread!" Will IHRTWT do? Read it as "aye-her-twit" ?

ffinnochio Thu 28-Dec-17 15:12:47

Yep, CARE does it for me.

Bathsheba Thu 28-Dec-17 15:33:48

I've heard that MNetters think of RTFT not as 'Read the full thread', but as 'Read the fucking thread'. Sounds about right tchgrin,
I think it's perfectly fine to answer without having read the whole thread, but a means of indicating this to be the case would be very helpful. Another vote for CARE here.

minesaprosecco Thu 28-Dec-17 15:39:24

The OP's comments are always highlighted in green on all the devices I use, my comments highlighted in pink. Makes it really easy to keep track - I wonder why this isn't the case on everybody's devices?

kittylester Thu 28-Dec-17 15:39:24

JaneA, I get annoyed when people give the same advice as I have just done. Shame we are wiser than they are, sooner! tchgrin

janeainsworth Thu 28-Dec-17 15:47:11

Great minds kitty wink

Bathsheba Thu 28-Dec-17 15:58:14

The OP's comments are always highlighted in green on all the devices I use, my comments highlighted in pink

I view GN on an iPad, an iPhone, a Windows based laptop and an iMac. On none of these - mobile or desktop version - are the OP's subsequent posts highlighted in green, only the opening post. Are you sure all the OP's posts - first and subsequent ones - are highlighted in green minesaprosecco? tchconfused

ninathenana Thu 28-Dec-17 16:12:11

CARE is polular, easy to remember.
Get's my vote.

Fennel Thu 28-Dec-17 16:18:36

I like CARE too.
As soon as I see a long OP I think, I'm not going to read all that. and I don't.

Lona Thu 28-Dec-17 18:53:33

I agree with Jane A and kitty. It's very aggravating! ?
I've suggested before that it's very useful to have the OP and any subsequent posts by the OP, in another colour.
I whizz through loads of threads on Mnet, it saves time.
Why don't we ever get what we want on here?

Baggs Thu 28-Dec-17 20:10:33

Maybe we don't nag then enough, lona ?

I'll put in a request in Site Stuff for them to look at this thread and that we want a CARE acronym and OP posts in green on all devices. We do have to remember that Tech, bless her/his heart, runs on a shoestring for Gransnet. Perhaps we should register our disgust about that while we're at it ?

Baggs Thu 28-Dec-17 20:10:55

them

Blinko Fri 29-Dec-17 10:02:53

Thanks, Baggs, I think that's a very sound suggestion.

WilmaKnickersfit Fri 29-Dec-17 10:35:09

I suspect that I'm in the minority because it irritates me when people don't read the whole thread and as jane says you can post something and then someone repeats the information. It's even more annoying when someone else repeats what has already been posted and then other posters think that information is great!

I realise that this happens on all boards, but can't people even be bothered to skim through looking for the OP's name so they can at least be aware of what extra information they have given?

I'm used to seeing CBA on other boards, but I completely agree with the suggestion that posts by the OP should be in a different colour. Unless you're saying something like 'I will read the whole thread later, but I wanted to say xyz right now.', I think not reading what's already been posted is saying my time is more important than yours, or my opinion is more important than yours.

I was going to say I'm sorry, but that's how I feel, but actually I'm not sorry, I'm just being honest.

NannyTee Fri 29-Dec-17 12:09:16

That's fair enough smile

Lona Fri 29-Dec-17 13:16:16

Thanks Baggs, I do enjoy a good nag! ?

FarNorth Fri 29-Dec-17 13:51:42

My DD told me that WOTDNR is an acronym used by some people re long posts, but it's not good manners.

Wall Of Text Did Not Read tchgrin

WilmaKnickersfit Fri 29-Dec-17 14:06:26

I have heard of something similar to that one and that's fair enough (and I can rarely post short messages tchblush). tchwink

Baggs Fri 29-Dec-17 14:11:48

Why is WOTDNR fair enough but CARE isn't, wilma? To me they mean essentially the same.

Alima Fri 29-Dec-17 16:13:24

Thing is, if a poster leaps in ignoring much of what has already been said, dumps all they want to say on the thread then buggers off again at least one could deduce from that that said poster hasn’t noticed how rude they can appear. If they take the time to spell out CARE (sorry, not good enough to take over from CBA I don’t think) then it comes across as blatantly “cannot be bothered to read what anyone else has has written end of”. If you see what I mean.

NannyTee Fri 29-Dec-17 16:44:01

Yes we have to read a certain amount of posts before we geg in . Otherwise we annoy others by repeating.

Baggs Fri 29-Dec-17 17:12:31

That may well be how it appears, alima, but why does how it appears matter? If someone is answering the OP in a polite, or at least not a rude way, why does what people have said before them matter?

People,are saying that it's rude because it's saying things like "my time is more important than yours". I don't see that. I think those people who feel that way are saying what they have to say is so important it should be read by everybody who follows. That to me seems much more, not rude, but... hesitates and gulps... big-headed: "what I wrote is important! how dare you ignore it?" sort of thing.

I really don't care if other posters ignore what I've said. I'm sure it happens all the time. It doesn't affect me one jot.

winterwhite Fri 29-Dec-17 18:24:50

But CARE does sound rude to me, and disrespectful of others. And I don't really see the point of joining in without reading the whole first.

janeainsworth Fri 29-Dec-17 18:37:03

I agree winterwhite. I suppose it depends on whether you think of a thread as just an opportunity to sound off about your own views, or whether you regard it as a conversation with previous posters.
If you take the latter view, as I do, then it’s only polite and fair to take some notice of what has gone before, before you barge in.

WilmaKnickersfit Fri 29-Dec-17 18:45:04

No need to hesitate and gulp baggs, we all have different perceptions! tchgrin I don't care if people don't agree with me, but I don't like being ignored. (I'm not saying I expect all my posts acknowledged - I explained earlier what I meant tchwink).

Baggs Fri 29-Dec-17 18:46:39

I think it depends what the thread is about and how it's going. Threads are not all deep conversations requiring serious thinking. Some of them (sadly fewer since Jings was booted off GN) are just a bit of arsing about, a bit of silliness. Actually, those are probably quite fun to read right through ??

Some, though, where some posts are like lectures (I'm probably guilty of that at times) then I wouldn't blame anyone for scanning and deciding it wasn't worth the effort to read the rest but still wanting to say their tuppenceworth.

There's also the time when one is reading the whole thread and you come across a post you want to respond to before you've read all the ones that follow it. So you do respond to it. And then someone else responds in similar fashion to something they wanted to respond to before reading all the rest and this leapfrogging goes on. That is not rudeness. It's just joining in.