Gransnet forums

Chat

2018 - how’s it going so far?

(94 Posts)
mollie Thu 11-Jan-18 08:25:15

So far 2018 has been unsettling. I’ve lost a friendship and it looks very likely we are moving again. I hadn’t expected either of these things at Christmas. It could be much worse but it could also be a lot better. Marks out of 10? 5!

watermeadow Fri 12-Jan-18 18:52:35

Had a Birthday so even older.
Darling dog has been ill since New Year’s Day.
Filthy foul dark dreary weather.
“Ethical” housing association wants thousands to lift covenant on my land.
Found woodworm flourishing in understairs cupboard.
I should be counting my blessings but feel miserable and anxious. 3 out of 10.

Synonymous Fri 12-Jan-18 15:01:46

So far DH has just started to get his voice back after having been so unwell. I fought it off for quite a while before succumbing and am in the depths with coughing fit to bust making ribs so painful, even my scalp hurts! Can't understand why we have to go to the crowded A&E for the weekend daily visits when DH is so vulnerable to any infections. It wouldn't take much to take us straight through the glass doors to the completely different waiting area where we have to go eventually anyway. Common sense in short supply t'would seem! At least they have given me a week off and are currently sending a car to get DH to his treatments so that is a big relief. DH blood numbers improving slightly at long last so he can continue with the current regime - so long as the meds keep arriving on time otherwise he has to be an inpatient. Won't know about whether any healing has taken place until the next xrays in February/March so we battle on and hopefully this year will see DH being able to walk again
Kittens we had for Christmas are a delight and growing fast. They add to the workload but it is worth it to see DH laughing at them.
After a month of waiting a plumber finally turned up to look at the hot water system. He looked at it and then left to order a part - from Portugal apparently hmm so goodness knows when he will be back. Hope he isn't going personally but the temptation to do so would be hard to resist!

Family all well and happy so that is huge and so far 5/10 is about my score.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 12-Jan-18 12:23:31

2018 started very well and I too realised just how much I have to be thankful for when reading others' posts.

Dh has appointment on the 18th where we are hoping the hospital will consent to try again to mend his broken clavicle!

Pleasant surprise in the form of a very civil note from the municipal heating plant asking me to phone at my convenience to fix up a time when they could send in a workman to change our meter. After years of scrambling around trying to re-schedule work or find a neighbour to let workmen in and NOT let cats out, this was really nice.

Even more unbelievable workman turned up at 9 a.m. on the dot AS ARRANGED instead of putting in an appearance in the late afternoon.

annsixty Fri 12-Jan-18 09:10:03

There is a saying Annie " It never rains, but it pours" your poor family are living examples.
Best wishes to them all.

Anniebach Fri 12-Jan-18 09:01:37

Favourite nephews partner had a mastectomy on 7th ,only 27 and a darling. Dog had op for cancer Monday, son in law waiting for results of tests relating to prostate problems, son in law who isn't phone last night, having further tests for something which has GP puzzled and SILWI in much pain.

My poor brother worried so much about his sons partner, his younger son now has something wrong with his blood, as if hemophilia for both sons isn't enough and brother has sold his house, has a smaller house built to move into and sister in law doesn't want to move there because garden not large enough for her dogs, she is so stressed bless her.

Not bad for first twelve days

baubles Fri 12-Jan-18 08:26:16

I meant the Janis Joplin version.

JackyB Fri 12-Jan-18 06:44:14

Pearl's a Singer is by Elkie Brookes

mcem Fri 12-Jan-18 06:38:42

Just heard on Today that Trump won't come next month so 2018 suddenly looks brighter!!
He doesn't like the new embassy building apparently!!
Looking forward to hearing more.

baubles Fri 12-Jan-18 03:38:58

Love your username Pearlsaminger smile Love the Janis Joplin song and your poem made me smile.

The end of last year wasn’t good for me as my mother died very suddenly and I found myself feeling unexpectedly set adrift. This year began with MiL being admitted to hospital as her oxygen levels were very low, she is not going to recover and has been very unresponsive since Sunday. We have been taking turns, in pairs, by her bedside round the clock since then, she’s not in pain and is quite peaceful.

On the up side I’ve had lovely times with grandchildren already this year and look forward to more.

Greengage Fri 12-Jan-18 01:15:33

Have friends and family dealing with serious matters which put my own minor problems into perspective. On the whole the last two years have been kind to me personally so I have much to be thankful for, and now I have things to look forward to in this year as well.

newnanny Thu 11-Jan-18 23:26:42

Just beginning to finally feel better after virus since 27th Dec. I can finally breathe out of my nose again. Nothing much has happened here except I have not been doing much cooking or work around house when unwell. Car did go through MOT with no problem so that was good.

Cubagran Thu 11-Jan-18 22:30:45

All doctor and hospital appointments so far, and DH has his first appointment with the oncologist next week. The weather is awful. Son has cracked his collarbone. But daughter's and son-in-law's birthdays to come, and our rugby team won last week. And our kittens have come safely through their spaying ops today. 5 out of 10 at the moment!

jenwren Thu 11-Jan-18 21:50:04

Fantastic

New Love who loves dancing as much as me. Let the new year in rock n rolling. Avid National Trust fans and next week he start his Bridge lessons so eventually we can partner each other. He is a mere 71 and I am 67. The icing on the cake is my first born having his first child, a girl, Whooo oooo at last a year to look forward to. Happy New Year

Barmeyoldbat Thu 11-Jan-18 21:10:01

Should be lots of compliments......

Menopaws Thu 11-Jan-18 19:59:43

All good so far, brilliant family get together last weekend reinforced my family values, husband in extremely good form, a real joy to see him in great shape so raising a glass to this year

annodomini Thu 11-Jan-18 19:20:28

PS Wally, don't feel old! I'm 77 and only feel old if I look in the mirror with my glasses on. If I take them off I can't see the wrinkles.

annodomini Thu 11-Jan-18 19:18:44

So far so average, but I'm going to reserve judgement on 2018 until ........... 2019

Barmeyoldbat Thu 11-Jan-18 18:46:05

A really good start, getting my new knee on 29th of the month, managing to keep fit despite the knee. Son and family all in work. Daughter, well nothing changes and no good getting stressed about it. Just do my best. OH is fit and well and his leg injury has healed so he is back running and in a happy mood. Booked two holidays and made plans for the year and I have received loss of compliments from young people regarding my beautiful new ankle boots. So I would say 8 but will drop to 1 if I fall ill and my operation is cancelled

Wally Thu 11-Jan-18 18:22:09

I feel a bit old in present company, but here goes. I'm 76 years of age and on Jan 7th my great grandson was 10 and on Wednesday another of my great grandsons was 15 and on Saturday the whole family is going down to Bristol to a Restaurant for a family meal. I feel blessed and so lucky to still have all my family around me.

squirrel5 Thu 11-Jan-18 18:08:06

Pearlaminger,I enjoyed your poem??

farview Thu 11-Jan-18 17:50:19

MawBroonread your post...was intending to post a moan!!! Changed my mind...looking at the positives now??

EllieRose43 Thu 11-Jan-18 17:21:16

Reading all the above makes me realise that any problems I have are miniscule in comparison to others. Hugs to all who are mourning, ill or otherwise distressed. My year has started reasonably well - even my 17 yr old car (used for taking the dogs out) passed its MOT with no problems, and ERNIE sent us 25.00. No health problems apart from a leaky bladder (and carrying a couple of excess stones in weight). 9 out of 10 so far.

Sheilasue Thu 11-Jan-18 17:14:38

Going ok at the moment but keeping fingers crossed.

Morgana Thu 11-Jan-18 16:57:39

Oh dear, so many people with so many problems. I hope that 2018 will turn out eventually to be a good year for us all. We have a holiday booked with D.D. and family and are going to see Russell Watson in a couple of months. Appointment next week for D.H. at memory clinic (first one) and D.S. has some tests at hospital on Monday. Let's hope both appointments turn out okay. Onwards and upwards as they say!

GabriellaG Thu 11-Jan-18 16:17:53

Sorry.
Should read: no-one local who I can help (when they need it)