Gransnet forums

Chat

What IS the fascination?

(31 Posts)
NanaandGrampy Sat 13-Jan-18 13:11:33

Before half term is upon us, and looking at another thread currently active I wondered what the fascination is with the VERY frequent posts we have about the price of plimsolls etc?

I mean , here we are , a group of usually older people, the wealth of the world's wisdom at our finger tips and a group of people think its funny to witter on about the price of school uniforms and plimsolls?

Its not like its contentious- its not about sex, or drugs or rock and roll- its about footwear normally? So its not like they are looking to shock....maybe hoping to bore a few of us to death maybe?

If anyone has an explanation for this phenomenon please share?

WilmaKnickersfit Sat 13-Jan-18 18:19:51

Doh! Puns are 1st rate. blush

Chewbacca Sat 13-Jan-18 18:19:10

I'm losing my faith in human nature here. What is the world coming to when you can't even rely on an ugg boots thread? sad

WilmaKnickersfit Sat 13-Jan-18 18:19:02

I wasn't being precious, it's just that I'm aware of being an Olympic standard witterer. blush

PS Puns a 1st rate grin

Jalima1108 Sat 13-Jan-18 18:12:32

LOL!

lemongrove Sat 13-Jan-18 18:08:01

Boom boom! Lol MissA

MissAdventure Sat 13-Jan-18 18:06:16

They've gone to the shoezone!

lemongrove Sat 13-Jan-18 18:04:20

I think you have hit on it Jalima nothing really vanishes on the Internet, it’s there somewhere, hoping to be retrieved.grin so many footwear related comments all vying for attention!

Jalima1108 Sat 13-Jan-18 17:57:54

ps where do threads go when they are deleted? Gone for ever or is there a little corner of the cloud where they all gather, grumbling about being hard-done-by?

Jalima1108 Sat 13-Jan-18 17:57:01

Disappeared into the ether - on the Stairway to Heaven

Chewbacca Sat 13-Jan-18 17:34:05

What? The ugg boots thread has gone? But I was outraged on that grannies behalf for her poor misunderstood grandson and his eclectic choice of footwear. I'm so gullible sad.

mcem Sat 13-Jan-18 17:29:09

Thought that anything/one left of centre could be immediately dismissed!
But then again lemon you've pointed out that I never agree with you so 'twas ever thus' !!

lemongrove Sat 13-Jan-18 16:50:40

Even me? grin Look again at that thread, how many pro Trump comments can you actually find? Hardly any!
However, this is discussing another thread ( which you started) and what the heck have Scottish views do do with this?

Nonnie Sat 13-Jan-18 16:49:45

Oh dear, I thought this was going to be a humorous thread but it has gone the way of so many. I'm off which is what any of us are free to do if we don't like it.

mcem Sat 13-Jan-18 16:39:57

And no doubt lemon any points from a Scottish point of view are for some reason not worthy of sensible discussion since the Scottish government is left of centre therefore also must be bile-ridden.
Surely even you must be questioning some of the pro-Trump comments posted here??

glammanana Sat 13-Jan-18 16:38:21

I do feel the plimsolls & uniform discussions have been well "worn out" by now.
What I do like to do is give new posters the benefit of the doubt when they start a topic they are unaware of previous posts and topics discussed over the yrs and may be totally ignorant of the fact that a lot of people are bored to death with their subject choice.

Jalima1108 Sat 13-Jan-18 16:33:45

Before half term is upon us
[groan] in anticipation

lemongrove Sat 13-Jan-18 16:32:24

The zimmer frame comment wasn’t ‘nasty’ unless you are totally humourless.

lemongrove Sat 13-Jan-18 16:30:36

Whereas left wing bile is acceptable is it mcem ?

mcem Sat 13-Jan-18 16:28:31

What I find ridiculous interesting is that nasty comments about old people demonstrating with zimmer frames or rightwing comments verging on racism seem acceptable to GNHQ while if a reasonable poster questions yet another plimsoll/onesie type thread then wrists are slapped for troll-hunting.
I don't see why it's unreasonable to point out that a post might be a 'windup' !
However the latest ugg thread has now been deleted.
Why no explanation?
Too many accused of troll-hunting?
Became clear that the thread was perhaps not genuine?
Whoops - thread about a thread!
Unpardonable sin!

annsixty Sat 13-Jan-18 16:24:29

I hadn't realised the thread had gone.
Do we know why?

Nonnie Sat 13-Jan-18 16:20:53

Why are we wittering about wittering on another thread when wittering about another thread is against the rules?

BlueBelle Sat 13-Jan-18 16:17:41

Well HQ have removed the thread
Whoops mustn’t talk about another thread on a thread must we ?

MawBroon Sat 13-Jan-18 14:30:11

Aptly named N&G grin

NanaandGrampy Sat 13-Jan-18 14:16:30

Oh I've got no problem with random wittering Wilma , I'm just wondering why we get thread after thread about the same thing and why , if the posters are looking for a reaction the subject matter isn't a little more shocking ?

I'm in a bit of shock over the inclusion of cheap ugh boots at the moment;-)

Jalima1108 Sat 13-Jan-18 13:30:54

Point taken.
blush

although kitty be warned - that could be construed as t*****-hunting, I was going to suggest something similar on there but didn't want to get into trouble. We have to take it as genuine.
Apparently
hmm