Happy as can be
All good pals and jolly good company.
Never mind the weather
Never mind the rain
As long as we're together...
Woops we go again.

WELCOME. Make yourselves at home. flowers

kittylester Mon 19-Feb-18 10:20:16

Good advice from Maw. I've mentioned before that contacting the Alzheimer's Society is a good idea to see if they have someone who can advocate for/with you. Round here we have Support Workers in the hospitals - your local branch may also.

The National Dementia helpline is 0300 222 1122.

morethan2 Mon 19-Feb-18 11:37:25

I’m so sorry to hear that things have not really improved for you husband annsixty I hope that you have the energy and time to talk to PALS.
This is nothing in comparison to anns problems but I’ve got a horrible cold/virus. It’s the first this winter so I shouldn’t complain. Horrible headache, sore throat, sneezing ? aching eyes! yuk. Staying in today, making casserole in slow cooker then either going to bed or wrapping up on the settee. Hope your day will be better than mine.

soop Mon 19-Feb-18 14:14:03

An excellent post from Maw in response to ann's latest experience. I would have broken down in tears. There is no justification for an uncaring reaction on behalf of the person who could and should at least offer reassurance that a patient matters.

soop Mon 19-Feb-18 14:17:18

I'm so sorry for our Granspals who are being attacked by that blasted bug. My fingers remain tightly crossed. MacSporran - he who must not succumb to a severe infection - has remained well all winter.

I have drawn an otter. Oli' is to be my next masterpiece. wink

soop Mon 19-Feb-18 16:11:35

Oli may not be successful. It's an early gut feeling. If I decide not to continue, I shall tidy the wardrobes again...I'm a devil for punishment.

Our friend will not be able to visit her husband in the care home this week. The infection is continuing to bug her. The nurse insists on changing the dressings twice a day. As the nurse cannot give an exact time for her calls, our friend would rather stay put. It's a great shame. She came through the surgery and there was no sign of infection until last week. A buggeration, I call it.

We watched the curling this morning. Very pleased that team GB won their match against Switzerland. Neither of us fully understand the rules. Nevertheless, it is an exciting spectator sport especially when our team (Scottish) do well.

As for the ice skaters and snow boarders and skiers...Wow! I so wish that I was young, fit and brave enough to stand in their boots.

Bye for now. Take care and I shall call in for update tomorrow. smile moon

Jalima1108 Mon 19-Feb-18 16:26:37

Ann that behaviour is totally uncalled for; even if they are rushed they should not be speaking to a relative like that. Incontinence can lead to bed sores and she must know that and that your DH should be nursed appropriately. I know that an elderly relative of my SisIL who is in hospital has developed bed sores and when his DIL visited she was appalled, she is a doctor in the NHS and said that it should never be allowed to happen (he's in a different hospital to the one where she works).
Can someone go with you when you complain - keep a note with dates and make a complaint in writing if necessary.

flowers

cornergran Mon 19-Feb-18 16:26:45

I’m stunned ann, how dare they treat your husband in that way? You’ve had good advice, I won’t add to it other than to say we had excellent support from PALS on behalf of a friend. Sending love and hugs, which seem oh so inadequate.

I’m sorry you've joined the bug brigade morethan, hope you can rest and care for yourself. My almost day in bed seemed to work miracles, I’m very tired but I suspect better than many.

Better to trust your instinct with your painting soop than persevere and be unhappy with the outcome. Wishing you contented painting time.

Take care everyone.

grannyqueenie Mon 19-Feb-18 16:38:15

Nipping in during a lull here i.e dgs glued to a screen and dgd chatting to her cousin, which also involves a screen! We’ve just come in from a full day out and tbh a bit of screen time is welcome as it stops the constant tripping up, nudging,poking and general shenanigans that this lively pair love to engage in at every possible opportunity!

soop beautiful bunnies I can almost see those sweet little noses twitching. Sorry your pal is still suffering with an infection, very bad luck after an op like that.

maw keep fighting those nasty bugs and you too morethan, it seems that there have been some nasty ones around up and down the country this year. I can’t remember who else said they were poorly, so whoever you are get well soon!

Ann I’m alternately sad and seething in your behalf. I hope you can summon the energy to complain, your dh deserves the very best and so do you. I can barely imagine how I’d cope in your shoes. flowers

kitty I can barely believe it’s a year since your mum died. I remember some of the long running saga ?.
I’m hoping there’s a bit of that yummy cake left? It sounds jut my kind of thing, sadly unlike your friend I have little willpower so I’m far from slender these days.

Well screen time is nearly over so back to reality, wish me luck!

kittylester Mon 19-Feb-18 17:05:36

Just popped back to see whether Ann had any news. Hope you found things better today. You must be worn out with the travelling and worry on top of looking after your DH for so long. It's no wonder you were tearful.

To all those of you with bugs - I hope you are feeling much better.

As far as my cake goes - I showed it my friend and, when we had stopped laughing, we had a chocolate biscuit. I shouldn'y go and try fancy things - I should stick with the lovely recipe absent posted.

annodomini Mon 19-Feb-18 17:42:44

ann, I'm disgusted and ashamed that such neglect can happen in our NHS, albeit woefully understaffed. The HCA who treated you so badly deserves to be disciplined. I hope you got her name. Have you identified the PALS office at Stepping Hill yet? They need to know what has been going on, though if this is typical, I suspect yours may not be the only complaint by any means; but their job is to act as advocate for patients and their relatives.
How about a letter to the CEO with a copy to your MP?

JaneD3 Mon 19-Feb-18 17:45:27

Third attempt at this post - I lost it twice. Write or email the person at the top, then add matron, nursing manager, ward sister and consultant to be copied in. I wrote to the people in charge of the leicester hospital trust with photos of my husbands 18cm diameter leg ulcer. It was about 2 cm when they started treating him. Also the skin on the whole was breaking down. That lit a rocket under people. Sometimes it has to happen. Get a family member to do it if you don’t want to.

annodomini Mon 19-Feb-18 18:05:08

I've sent some information to you ann which you might find useful. When I had an issue with that hospital, about 13 years ago, I found that contacting governors of the Trust moved mountains.

Bellanonna Mon 19-Feb-18 19:27:07

Ann I’ve just read your post and feel so angry. What a bitch to respond to you like thst. Goodness I couldn’t have let that go. And please don’t. It needs a formal complaint. As Maw said , years of involvement with hospital wards does give one the confidence to know how to deal with these situations, how to talk to people, and how to get things addressed. It does require energy though. Please, please, do report that incident. PALS are helpful, and a letter of complaint would help you to get things off your chest. I am still angry for you !!

Tegan2 Mon 19-Feb-18 19:50:22

I think Ann needs to keep a detailed record of everything that's happening at the moment and write it down asap after the event so it's fresh in her mind; that way, if things have to be taken forward she'll have a breakdown of the treatment she and her husband are receiving. I'm just appalled sad.

Crafting Mon 19-Feb-18 19:57:56

ann like everyone else I am disgusted with the care (or lack of) that your DH is having in that as yet unnamed hospital. It is totally unacceptable. If the HCA had a valid reason for not responding to your request straight away she should have given you a reason and responded courteously to you. This is wrong. If you do not make any headway with the nursing staff yourself try PALS or the Alzheimer's society as already mentioned. Failing that why not mention to the hospital that you have a twitter account (I have no idea what that means as I don't have one myself) and intend to publish daily details of the treatment and care your DH is having in their hospital. Also that you have the power of GN in your corner. They put some of our threads on FB why not get some action going to help people in your situation.
I am now going to get a drink. I am not a political activist and have got myself all riled up on your behalf. Not like me at all. I am just so sorry with all your other troubles you have this to deal with too.

MissAdventure Mon 19-Feb-18 20:09:24

Popping in to lend my two pennies worth to Ann's corner.
Its hard to find the strength to keep going when you feel a bit beaten by the system (as I well know) but knowing there are people behind you, supporting you does help. flowers

harrigran Tue 20-Feb-18 08:05:23

I am coming into the kitchen to get a warm in front of the range as I am feeling shivery. You will recall our dear neighbour died on Friday well yesterday his 44year old son had a heart attack and is in the same ward, same hospital and with the same consultant. Frightening thing is he had just done a long car drive so it could have been catastrophic.

cornergran Tue 20-Feb-18 08:12:44

Goodness, harri, no wonder you are shivery. Try not to think of what might have been. Sending hugs and a wish for good news about your neighbours son.

kittylester Tue 20-Feb-18 08:27:43

Crumbs Harri! How is the son now? I'm not surprised you need to warm up. Your poor neighbour! brew with sugar before you start the day.

MawBroon Tue 20-Feb-18 08:28:31

Oh how dreadful Harrigran that poor family! And poor you as you can be as close to friends and their children as if they were your own.
Wishing the son a full recovery flowers

morethan2 Tue 20-Feb-18 08:51:17

That’s awful harrigran it’s scary to think so much awfulness can come down on one perfectly nice, ordinary family. I hope there’s a good outcome for the son. Plenty of tea brew for you and don’t forget to eat somthing yourself.

My horrible cold/virus is worse. I feel as if a diesel train is running round inside my head. I’m such a whiny whinger.
Take care everyone.

JaneD3 Tue 20-Feb-18 09:04:24

How sad for you and your neighbours Harrigran. This horrid cold doesn’t help you feel better either. Look after yourself.

NanaandGrampy Tue 20-Feb-18 09:14:29

Morning all !

Life is going to get back to normal here after our 8 day Babysitting marathon. We made it through but it was touch and go by the end smile.

Sorry to hear about your friends son Harrigran , how fortunate he wasn't still driving at the time, what a shock.

Hope you're feeling better today Maw!

I am so sad that you ( and DH) are receiving such terrible treatment Ann , at a time when you are most vulnerable this is not what you need !! I cant offer much advice but you seem to be getting some very good advice here so hope that helps a little.

Love the bunnies soop , you're getting a nice little collection there of woodland animals, they will look wonderful on a child's wall together.

Our photoshoot went off marvellously and I'm looking forward to seeing the proofs. But thought Id leave you with a picture I took on Sunday of my lot in their t shirts I made ( Laura's says 'No Trouble at all' !!

Sending some love and a darn good hug to those in need ! xx

MawBroon Tue 20-Feb-18 09:15:41

If it is any consolation Morethan, 10 days “in” I have woken up feeling vaguely human. Yes, still coughing and now sneezing (?) but my head is no longer splitting and I no longer feel feverish. Taking kitty and charley girl’s warnings about this virus on board though but think it “may not be the end, it may not be the beginning of the end, but it could be the end of the beginning” ????

kittylester Tue 20-Feb-18 10:03:10

Exactly Maw grin

Lovely photo N&G.

Back for a proper catch up later - off to my favourite sister in law's Mum's funeral - iyswim! She's in a bit of a state, as is her dad!

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion