Gransnet forums

Chat

Brickbats and bouquets

(53 Posts)
grannyactivist Wed 17-Jan-18 00:01:16

I never thought I would say this , but today I accompanied a homeless man to a Fitness for Work (PIP) Assessment and the receptionist and assessor were each faultless in the way they conducted themselves. shock This has not been the case in the past and I have levelled many criticisms at the way my clients have been dealt with previously, so I wanted to go on record and offer well deserved praise. The receptionist in particular oozed care and compassion - this in spite of my client being very late due to a panic attack. She gets my virtual bouquet. flowers

I have no idea whether we will receive a positive outcome, but the process itself took over two hours and included a permitted break when my client became agitated. The system is (in my view) undoubtedly broken, but it was very gratifying to meet caring people who are discharging their duties with compassion.

Who would you like to award a brickbat or bouquet to?

Legs55 Wed 17-Jan-18 15:02:02

I was called in for an Interview with DWP Fraud Officer, turned out I should never have been "picked on" as I had already provided all information 18 months before & it had been verifiedconfused

I spend a very enjoyable hour "putting the world to rights" once he'd checked everything was in order. Maybe it helps that I was a Civil Servant before I took Early Retirementgrin

I've come across many kind people within the NHS. I'm always polite & friendly, I believe you get that reflected back but some do go the extra milesmile

I had my PIP Interview last year, noticeable improvement in staff attitudes, I only just scrapped in for payments. Also my Interview with DWP regarding "Fitness for Work" was short & sweet.

kittylester Wed 17-Jan-18 15:15:15

mollie, I gave my ex dil a brickbat!

Rosina Wed 17-Jan-18 15:17:01

To the kind and caring people who always go the extra mile for others; I am lucky enough to know several and have watched how they conduct their lives, without selfishness or any expectation of reward. They are very special people and I don't know how this world would keep turning at times without the many millions of people who do things the right way to make life better for others.

mollie Wed 17-Jan-18 15:31:38

So you did, Kittylester and rightly so.

TwiceAsNice Wed 17-Jan-18 17:08:59

Bouquet for my lovely daughters who have looked after me so well when I was recovering from an operation last month. DD2 arranged work so she could take me to all appts/post checks as I couldn't drive.

Brickbat from years ago ( you can tell I've never forgotten it!) When my son died I had to send my child allowance book back for a new one. It was supposed to come back with just my other children's names on it. Someone sent it back with his name crossed out and the word dead written above.

grannyactivist Wed 17-Jan-18 19:00:12

It's good in the midst of the current (perpetual?) doom and gloom to remind ourselves that there are people out there doing their jobs well, people acting with compassion and a lot of plain kindliness. smile

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Wed 17-Jan-18 20:16:03

A brickbat to the customer who thinks she bought her product from the shop I work in (5+ years ago) complained that they were now damaged then left with "I thought as much you are shit" when I said "we guarantee products for 3 yrs but...." (didn't get chance to offer solutions). Good job most customers are lovely angry

NannyTee Wed 17-Jan-18 20:18:20

TwiceAsNice .. how bloody cruel flowers

Jana Wed 17-Jan-18 22:04:48

All the hospital staff from A&E and the three wards my father has been on in St. James’ Hospital, Leeds and the ambulance staff who helped him on 22 December. They were all amazing, ready to help and always in such a pleasant and kind way even though they haven’t enough hours in a day!

Cabbie21 Wed 17-Jan-18 22:21:17

Brickbat to all the authorities who have failed a man who has come out of remand prison, discharged, the case never even got to court. So he is not guilty of anything.
He has no family to turn to.
He has been homeless since November: there is no room in any of the hostels; he has not been able to get the medication he needs. The mental health team have not followed him up. Because he has no address or phone the hospital cannot contact him for appointments.
He sat with me for over two hours whilst I tried to get through to the Benefits Enquiry line on the phone for him. At least that issue is being dealt with.
What a sad society we live in. He has lost hope.

Gaggi3 Wed 17-Jan-18 22:40:38

My bouquets go to all the people, who post light-hearted or thoughtful posts on here, whom I realise later,from reading other comments, have really huge problems to contend with every day. flowers

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 17-Jan-18 22:49:50

I am going to have to read this thread every day. It's a great way to lift your spirits and a reminder of all the good people around us. smile

Wouldn't it be wonderful if GNHQ decided to send a real bouquet every month?

MissAdventure Wed 17-Jan-18 22:52:10

Yes, because you can get a bouquet delivered for £11.99 according to the ads I'm now being shown below this topic.

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 17-Jan-18 23:03:22

grin

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 17-Jan-18 23:04:52

Thinking about it though, maybe GNHQ could get the company to pay for the bouquet as a marketing option.

MissAdventure Wed 17-Jan-18 23:05:57

I like the way you think, lady! wink

123kitty Wed 17-Jan-18 23:08:49

Whoever set up Gransnet deserves a huge bouquet

Elrel Wed 17-Jan-18 23:12:41

Bouquet to my neighbour who just took my bin out in pouring rain, so kind of her. Another to the bus driver who saw me give up trying to catch his bus, waved, and just waited until I finally got on.
Another to the man who answered the phone at Steam Dreams when I needed to change the date of a Flying Scotsman trip. He was so kind and helpful and I'm sure my son and his son will have a lovely day out together!

dbDB77 Wed 17-Jan-18 23:32:04

A big bouquet to all the call centre staff that I've spoken to - bank, insurance, customer support etc - they have invariably been helpful & pleasant and not the least bit impatient with an old dodderer like me! I think their job must be stressful and they have to deal with some very rude & aggressive people - so thank you from me flowers

Elrel Thu 18-Jan-18 00:25:09

DB - Thank you for reminding me! A whole conservatory of flowers to Amazon's wonderful Customer Services call centre man, Donald. I've never had such an intelligent, kind, and courteous gentleman answer a phone to me. Outsourcing to Jamaica is a Good Thing!!

Billybob4491 Thu 18-Jan-18 06:15:33

A big thank you to everyone who opens shop doors for me as I push my wheelchair bound husband through, am very grateful.

TwiceAsNice Thu 18-Jan-18 09:26:14

Thank you NannyTee I am a bit scarred!

Nonnie Thu 18-Jan-18 11:31:51

mollie in response to your comment that not many brickbacks I will open the floodgates. The responses I have had when telling various companies and officials that my son is dead.

HMRC who hadn't a clue what they were doing and don't have a bereavement team. At the fourth attempt they told me they could only talk to his executor after previously telling me how much they would pay back and when to expect it. I had to get on to their complaints team with details of times, dates and names before they finally sorted it out. It was so bad they paid compensation! Sorry for those who are not able to push and push as I had to so wrote to my MP and asked her to bring it up with the appropriate department.

Thames Water who behaved so badly they wrote off the bill and sent me flowers!

NPower who insisted we paid the Standard Charge instead of the discounted direct debit rate until his property was sold.

NatWest who have clearly given up their 'Helpful Banking' slogan. Wonder if Advertising Standards forced them to.

and several more but it hurts going into it all.

Not exactly bouquets but was treated kindly and efficiently by NHS prescriptions and Hastings car insurance who put DH on the policy temporarily and told me not to pay the invoice which would be sent as they waived such charges under the circumstances.

Wish I could run a training scheme for call centres dealing with the bereaved.

annodomini Thu 18-Jan-18 12:06:50

I shouldn't forget to send the biggest bouquet to my DSs. They were teenagers when their father left us. They were my greatest support and I don't know how I'd have got through a bad time without them. When my Dad died, they were there for me, although grieving at the loss of a much loved Grandpa. They stood by me at the funeral and helped out with the get-together that followed. When my dear aunt and uncle died within a week of each ,other, I was in a state of collapse, had a bad cold and lost my voice. One phoned round the relatives and took me shopping for something warm to wear (it was the middle of a very cold spell); the other organised the catering and helped to make the bungalow spick and span for the post-funeral bunfight. Nowadays, although we live 150 miles apart, they always welcome me to their homes. Imaginative gifts have included a balloon trip and a flying lesson. On holiday, DS1's family sent me on a flight in a microlight. They know me too well!

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 18-Jan-18 12:23:49

Huge bouquet to every one of you for contributing to Gransnet - especially threads like these - and making the site what it is. Amazing stories on this post, thank you. flowers