Gransnet forums

Chat

What is it about village post offices?

(27 Posts)
kittylester Wed 17-Jan-18 12:40:20

Dh and I moved to our village 25 years ago from the nearby town. It isn't a particularly pretty village but is a very popular and friendly place to live with a good community spirit.

When we first moved here there was a village post office run by a really unfriendly Post Master and we all gave a sigh of relief when he retired. It was then taken over by two brothers and their wives who were lovely and all went well until one of the brothers had and an affair with the other one's wife.

We then got a chap who had a post office in another village but he was suspected of fiddling the books (I was interviewed as one potential witness although no charges were ever brought). The PO took this as an opportunity to close the branch and put out the franchise for tender.

The village paper shop won the franchise, lots of money was spent fitting it out to operate as a post office and it all went swimmingly. Until..........the papershop owner and his wife took off for America with the takings from the PO, the papershop and the property agency they ran.

The post master from a different village came and took it on and all was fine until he couldn't get credit from the paper suppliers and his female shop manager ran off with the papershop takings. Which left the Post Office being run by a relative of the postmaster from the next village.

Until this morning when the PO didn't open as the relative had emptied the safe and disappeared.

It's never dull round here!!

Christinefrance Wed 17-Jan-18 20:50:21

We are having similar problems in our village here in France. The postmistress has a long running disagreement with the Maire, the Maire has now closed the PO and is running it from his office. The villagers are divided one half supporting the Maire the others supporting the postmistress. Long standing friendships have ended over this.
Your stories made me chuckle kittylester ?