Gransnet forums

Chat

feeling great

(13 Posts)
travelsafar Fri 19-Jan-18 12:31:19

Just got home from my Friday morning 'knit and natter' group, or 'stitch and bitch' depending on the topic of conversation!!! Lovely people, great conversation plus two new members, one a young girl who works in our local craft shop the other a lady who moved to our area recently. This is such a great way to meet people and develop friendships if you are lonely. You dont even need to be able to knit or chrochet someone will always teach you. Happy Friday every one.smile

glammanana Fri 19-Jan-18 12:36:21

travelsafar What a lovely bright post enjoy the rest of you Friday.

hildajenniJ Fri 19-Jan-18 12:37:45

I love my local Knit & Natter group. There aren't very many of us, but it gets me out of the house on a Wednesday afternoon. I didn't go this week as the footpaths outside my house were treacherous. I discovered them by accident, and I'm so glad I joined.

kittylester Fri 19-Jan-18 12:44:01

Lovely thread, travels!

I have had the lurgy and my volunteer role is in a transition period and I've missed the contact so I called into the library where I used to volunteer and feel so much better for the chat.

NanaandGrampy Fri 19-Jan-18 14:02:53

I'll have to have a look and see if there's something near me - this sounds right up my street x

tessagee Fri 19-Jan-18 16:54:43

Nice post Travelsafar. Sadly I've given up on my local group after going for nearly three years. The group was a small one with no new members having joined for quite a while. Ongoing conversations were invariably about holidays and cruises just taken or about to be taken. There appeared to be very little interest in current affairs or other topics.
Over time I tried inviting various members for a coffee after the meeting but got the reply that they had other lunches etc arranged. In the end I reluctantly gave up and stopped attending. In fairness, the members were all in late seventies, eighties and in one case mid nineties so probably just didn't want the hassle of getting to know someone new.
Happy knitting to all of you out there who enjoy the craft.

TwiceAsNice Fri 19-Jan-18 18:32:48

I go to one on a Thursday morning. Most of them are older than me but lovely people and interesting to talk to. I was introduced to it by someone from church who helps run it and it helped me meet people when I moved to a new area. We knit things to sell,its in a centre which helps disabled and learning disability adults and two of the ladies make us all a mid morning hot drink and love to chat. We also knit simple jumpers which go to children in orphanages in Romania.

Gillcro Fri 19-Jan-18 19:46:53

Cant seem to find out if there is a group near me.

Breda Fri 19-Jan-18 19:47:23

What a brilliant idea. And a great way to learn a new skill and meet some lovely people.

Niobe Fri 19-Jan-18 20:00:13

When we moved to London in 2015 I joined 2 local groups. Some members come to both, some only come to one and it helped me to get to know lots of lovely ladies. We generally knit or sew for ourselves but have done some knitting for thePremature Baby unit at St Bart's too.

Suebcrafty Fri 19-Jan-18 21:02:44

We have a couple around here,the one I go to is in st.matthews church hall in Ashford Surrey on a Thursday morning , there is also one on a Tuesday in the Hobbycraft in Staines and Squires garden centres are starting one up on Wednesday 24th January,Shepperton,Badshot Lea and Twickenham

travelsafar Sat 20-Jan-18 09:14:23

Gillcro take a look in your local library they often have info on local groups. Sometimes church halls have them too.Good luck.

goldengirl Sat 20-Jan-18 10:26:34

I'd quite like to join something like this but couldn't knit / crochet and natter at the same time!!!