Gransnet forums

Chat

Significant birthday

(11 Posts)
paddyann Sat 20-Jan-18 00:17:22

You'll be seventy THIS year so thats your next significant birthday 80 is a very long way away.Its always the actual day that bothers me on birthdays with a zero once that day is gone I'm fine.Strange really because I always add the next year on half way through the year.My birthday's in March so once I get past September I add on the next number .I'm now 6 years from 70 and not going to get stressed about it until it arrives.Lifes too short to worry about the numbers years in advance,just enjoy each day as it comes

midgey Fri 19-Jan-18 21:40:25

I was seventy yesterday, how did I get so old? As you say the body is fairly creaky and annoyingly my hands don’t work so well but I don’t feel that old!!

Synonymous Fri 19-Jan-18 20:57:32

tubbygran you are definitely not too old to take on a new pet and just need to put a plan in place for the future if you should pop off before your pet. We have just taken on a new pet and we are of an age to you. Go for it!

M0nica Fri 19-Jan-18 20:53:55

What makes me feel elderly? I have just had the bug doing the rounds and it is the knowledge that not having done my usual daily walks and exercise classes for three weeks, it is going to take me up to a month to get back to my usual exercise level, because initially a good walk two days running will absolutely knacker me. Ten years ago I would have thought that ludicrous. I would just have been back to the normal pattern as soon as I felt well.

mimiro Fri 19-Jan-18 20:43:42

when my mom(71) wanted to adopt a new dog she was required to designate a stepparent(me)
so many retired people here/they pass on and leave lost pups and cats behind.mom also rescuses orphaned ones.her groomer tells the elder folks to let the family know that if anything happens and no one can take the orphan to bring them to her/she cares for them til she finds them new owners
i am 60 and just got a staffie.she keeps me young,worn out and i dont miss my dh quite so much/i do think how he would have gotten so much joy from her tho.

Marydoll Fri 19-Jan-18 20:22:25

Sixty was also the bad one for me. I attend a lot of hospital appointments and I was fine when I was described by docs, as a lady (though some would question the "lady" part) in her fifties.
All of a sudden I was considered elderly, because I was now sixty, yet I feel about 18 in my head!

annsixty Fri 19-Jan-18 19:55:20

Well I am 80 and it truly is no different to being 79?
I think 60 was the bad one for me, it seemed ok to be in ones 50s but oh how I hated the thought of being 60.
Being old worries me not one jot, so much better than the alternative.
Life is what troubles me and things can and will happen however old we are.

OldMeg Fri 19-Jan-18 19:51:36

I’ve just taken on a puppy and I’m older than you OP. And as Lynnebi said I will make sure if I go first it is looked after. All my family have fallen in love with it already and I’ll leave money in my will to whoever takes him on.

Ironically the pup has brought such pleasure into my life and I’m getting out more, so it’s a win-win situation as I was beginning to feel a little bit like the OP. ’

Nelliemoser Fri 19-Jan-18 18:55:10

Me too! Tubbygran. I am feeling rather scared by the prospect. I have some particularly creaky joints. I was feeling very low around Christmas this year.
A bit of today's bright Cheshire sunshine has made me feel a lot better.
(Sorry if the sun missed you.)

Lynnebo Fri 19-Jan-18 18:13:28

My stepmum bought herself a puppy when she turned 80. 6 years later it's such an adorable dog that, should anything happen to stepmum, there will be a queue of us wanting to adopt it!!
As long as there's a back up plan I don't see why you couldn't get a dog? x

tubbygran Fri 19-Jan-18 17:57:09

My husband and I are both seventy this year. I feel fifty inside, but various minor aches and pains confirm my real age.
I hate the fact that the next significant birthday will be eighty. This has been brought home by the fact that we are too old to take on a puppy, now that our old dog has recently died.
What has made other gransnetters feel their age?