Gransnet forums

Chat

How do you define someone as common?

(250 Posts)
SpringyChicken Sat 20-Jan-18 00:20:01

I couldn't resist this as a follow on to the 'posh' thread.

According to my mum, quite a lot of things were common, e.g eating 'on the hoof' in public places, women drinking from pint glasses and anyone wearing slippers in the street.
I attended a strict convent school where the headmistress addressed us at morning assembly. "Mrs Pengelly (teacher) was in town yesterday and saw one girl, and that girl knows who she is, in school uniform and eating a pasty." I still can't bring myself walk around with food.

annsixty Mon 05-Feb-18 17:51:00

I slice my carrots on the slant into large ovals a la Ina Garton.

Jalima1108 Mon 05-Feb-18 18:11:30

There was a thread on mumsnet saying it was considered common to cut your carrot in rings rather than batons!
Sometimes I'm common, sometimes I'm posh then!

WilmaKnickersfit Mon 05-Feb-18 19:50:14

Me too LOL!

What are you if you buy your carrots in a tin or frozen?

WilmaKnickersfit Mon 05-Feb-18 19:53:36

And my beetroot comes in a jar! Sliced is fine, but I prefer whole baby beetroot! grin

Jalima1108 Mon 05-Feb-18 19:57:06

My beetroot are still in the ground outside, if I want any I have to go out in the cold and wash off the dirt first grin

Sometimes I think it would be so much easier to buy things in jars or frozen. We do buy frozen peas.

WilmaKnickersfit Mon 05-Feb-18 23:01:52

My Step-Dad grows vegetables, but he lives over 300 miles away. He brings us a jar of beetroot when he visits - yum!

When I first became veggie I had a book that gave you all sorts of tips to make it easier. Buying frozen vegetables was something we already did, but buying pre-prepared vegetables from the supermarket was the main tip we started using. We don't do it a lot, but I have no problem with what is sacrilege to some! grin The other tip was to buy chopped garlic and chopped ginger in a jar. They're in vinegar which burns off in cooking. Also sacrilege to some! grin

lemongrove Mon 05-Feb-18 23:08:43

Perhaps it’s common to grow your own beetroot though?
One should have a gardener for that ( not the DH) grin
I have never tried beetroot in a sandwich but am strangely tempted to try it now.

WilmaKnickersfit Mon 05-Feb-18 23:15:56

I'm tempted to try it as well, but can I ask, are we talking about pickled beetroot? The kind that stains everything? blush

Ha! I've just realised you mean common, not common as in lots of people do it! blush grin

annsixty Tue 06-Feb-18 09:28:21

I am talking pickled beetroot , but is it less common to have pickled one's beetroot one's self.
It is in a Tupperware container in the fridge, now that is common.

lemongrove Tue 06-Feb-18 10:22:44

No, it’s more common to pickle one’s own beetroot, haha.
I may try a cheese and pickled beetroot sarnie ( as soon as I go to the supermarket to buy a jar) ?as being common, I have to go there myself instead of sending a servant.

WilmaKnickersfit Tue 06-Feb-18 13:01:13

I was thinking about a cheese and beetroot sandwich for lunch, but I only have baby beetroot. I need someone to slice it up. And make the sandwich. And bring it to me on a tray with a glass of milk. grin

Jalima1108 Tue 06-Feb-18 14:03:51

Wilma grin you could put it in whole

annsixty HM keeps her breakfast cereals in Tupperware so it can't be common!

I have never tried beetroot in a sandwich shock you just haven't lived lemongrove! It's not only delicious, it's great fun, especially when the beetroot slides out from between the buttered bread and the cheese and shoots across the table/on to the floor.

Jalima1108 Tue 06-Feb-18 14:04:19

Oh, I have just realised that that sounds very common indeed.

lemongrove Tue 06-Feb-18 16:19:06

Jalima ! One is shocked! You will be telling us you eat chips in sandwiches next.?

annsixty Tue 06-Feb-18 16:36:16

Now they are delicious. A chip butty is a northern staple.
Lots of butter so the hot chips melt it and it runs down your chin while you eat up.
Will I ever be invited to lunch at the Palace?
I think not.

lemongrove Tue 06-Feb-18 16:40:11

Haven’t had a chip butty since I was young Ann but I do remember they were delicious ( although I ate anything at all back then)?Something else yummy I discovered when our DC were young is....a fried fish finger sarnie with ketchup!
I want one right now!

WilmaKnickersfit Tue 06-Feb-18 16:40:22

I'll have you know I do not have chips on bread. I have them on a roll! grin

I suppose you common also people put crisps on bread instead of on a roll? grin

lemongrove Tue 06-Feb-18 16:42:06

Crisps? ?gasp! (Faints)

WilmaKnickersfit Tue 06-Feb-18 16:42:19

My DH swears fish fingers are designed to be used in a sandwich. It's why they're flat and not round! grin

lemongrove Tue 06-Feb-18 19:55:32

Wilma your DH has impeccable taste.?

Jalima1108 Tue 06-Feb-18 20:21:39

They're called chip *butties^ lemongrove, not sandwiches.
shock

Jalima1108 Tue 06-Feb-18 20:22:10

DH thinks chip butties are disgusting and anyone who eats them is really really common!

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 07-Feb-18 02:19:32

I love chip butties. White rolls with butter and add baked beans or ketchup! Yum.

morethan2 Wed 07-Feb-18 06:58:11

Oh there’s nothing as nice as a chip butty. It must be white bread/roll and real butter though. It’s only common if you eat it in the street.