Gransnet forums

Chat

Snowdrops out....!

(18 Posts)
Luckygirl Sat 20-Jan-18 16:42:14

....up the road on my walk just now. Made up for the driving rain! smile

NotTooOld Sat 20-Jan-18 16:53:28

Yup! Saw them down our road on 1st January. Cheers you up, doesn't it?

Teetime Sat 20-Jan-18 16:59:13

Lovely I can see my crocus coming up and some daffs.

hildajenniJ Sat 20-Jan-18 17:01:21

Down the road from me, on a little patch of council garden, I saw a couple of mini daffodils in bloom. On a grey day, they really lifted my spirits.

merlotgran Sat 20-Jan-18 17:02:49

We have loads out in the garden. If it wasn't for this dratted bug I'd be out there clearing away some of the winter debris that they're having to push through but it's freezing cold and very wet.

Daffs are coming up and so are loads of other things.

Can't wait!

tanith Sat 20-Jan-18 17:27:45

Yep I have them out in the front garden

M0nica Sat 20-Jan-18 17:29:33

They have been out in my garden for a week or so.

Luckygirl Sat 20-Jan-18 17:38:35

They might be out in my garden, but I have chickened out from wading through the sodden lawn to go and see!

farview Sat 20-Jan-18 18:29:57

Oooh love it love it love it..
first signs of life in the garden..birds are acting quite 'frisky' as well?..buds on the lilac tree and blueberry bushes,primroses in abundance,makes you want to grab at life ????

Purpledaffodil Sat 20-Jan-18 18:38:49

Went to RHS Wisley yesterday and there were masses of snowdrops and a few tiny irises. It does lift the spirits doesn’t it? grin

Grannyknot Sat 20-Jan-18 20:47:25

Hi Purple it sure does smile

NfkDumpling Sat 20-Jan-18 21:05:02

Just little white buds peeping through in Norfolk. But the acconites are through and flowering.

Nelliemoser Sat 20-Jan-18 22:56:47

No snowdrops up North yet. The flowers are sitting tight waiting for a bit more warmth.

I did buy myself my first bunch of Daffodils on Friday. Joyous and fragrant yellow beauties in my living room.
A sign of hope for spring. I don't care if they are forced. The grower can make some money from them and we can enjoy them.

chocolatepudding Sat 20-Jan-18 23:01:34

Thirty years ago we bought a half acre island on a river in East Anglia. It is connected to the riverbank by 2 bridges and has a public footpath running along one side. After planting over 300 trees I wanted some simple snowdrops so I bought a box of 100 bulbs in the green. Now there are 1000s of snowdrops every year as I have lifted and seperated the bulbs many times. Last year I sold the bulbs in the green and raised over £100 for our local Hospice. I have some flowers already this year but need a few more days of sunshine for them to bloom

jordana Mon 22-Jan-18 15:45:24

Sounds wonderful chocolate. Local hospice gained from your foresight in planting the bulbs many years ago

whitewave Mon 22-Jan-18 15:51:03

Yes lots in the garden and 1 daffodil

Scribbles Mon 22-Jan-18 15:52:33

Snowdrops and crocuses starting to flower in my garden, too. They put a big Monday smile on my face when I found them earlier.

Fennel Mon 22-Jan-18 16:45:08

We have a bush which I think is Japanese quince - chaenomeles. It's prickly and has small bright red flowers.
It's in bud and ready to flower now, earlier than usual.
So hopeful when you see the start of new life in the winter.