Gransnet forums

Chat

How do you instruct a cleaner??!!

(132 Posts)
Bluesmum Sat 20-Jan-18 20:10:58

Since I injured my back, I have needed help with ckeaning as I cannot lift or move anything heavy. Had a wonderful cleaner in our previous house and when we moved I sought recommendations. Found a local Mum who came with good references and was happy to do 2 hours per week at £10 per hour, cash. I told her I did not want her to do the kitchen or utility room apart from steam ckeaning the floors. My craft room was completely out of bounds. Second bedroom only used occasionally, dusting and vacuum only required. That just left our bedroom, tiny ensuite, lounge diner hardly ever used, and garden room where we spend most of our time, plus the hallway. I asked her to dust and polish and vacuum these rooms " as you do your own " and give one room in turn a thorough clean each week. First thing I noticed was she did not dust skirtings! Then noticed window sill in bathroom and behind blind had not been touched - cobwebs! Then to my horror i discovered she only cleaned around objects on the tiled floors I had asked her to steam clean, ie she did not move the pedal bin in the kitchen! Each time i brought these things to her attention, she reacted with surprise "you never said"!! After three weeks I got rid but really, was I expecting too much and how would you convey your expectations?

Luckygirl Sat 20-Jan-18 20:14:03

You were expecting too much!

Bellasnana Sat 20-Jan-18 20:21:57

Sounds like a lot to do in just two hours.

Jalima1108 Sat 20-Jan-18 20:26:49

I am wondering what I used to do in two hours when I was younger and fitter.

It would have taken in much longer to do those tasks thoroughly, sorry.

Bluesmum Sat 20-Jan-18 20:27:31

Forgot to say, we used to go shopping just after she arrived to give her space. My neighbour, who is lovely but a bit of a curtain twitcher, noticed she was never here for more than an hour and a half! My brother was here one week, working on his car in our garage, and she was here just 1 hour twenty minutes!

Jalima1108 Sat 20-Jan-18 20:28:33

Don't go out.

Jalima1108 Sat 20-Jan-18 20:29:08

My friend told me that she was cleaning the shower - after the cleaner had been because 'she never does it properly'.

Bluesmum Sat 20-Jan-18 20:29:25

And she was the one that suggested two hours would be "plenty"!!!!

kittylester Sat 20-Jan-18 20:29:45

In my experience a cleaner either gets it or doesn't. Sounds like this one doesn't. It doesn't seem like too much to me. Imo opinion that doesn't seem to much.

MissAdventure Sat 20-Jan-18 20:33:14

I suppose you could have asked her to do it how you would. Maybe she does clean around things. (See the 'houseproud' thread) smile

kathsue Sat 20-Jan-18 20:53:50

When I decided to get a cleaner I looked on the internet and booked through an agency. The agency provided some one who suited the hours and days I wanted, police checked all their employees and provide cover if my cleaner is ill or on holiday. They also can act as a go-between if I have any problems with her. I pay £8.50 an hour direct to the cleaner and £2.50 a week to the agency. They provided written lists of what needed to be done in each room. The cleaner and I went through them together and ticked the boxes so we both knew what she would be doing.
She's been coming for about 6 months now and she has been a great help because I have MS and get very fatigued. What she does in 2 hours would take me all day.
I know it costs more to use an agency but I felt more secure that way, I was quite worried about letting a stranger into my house at first.
I hope you have better luck next time. Perhaps if you write down everything you want doing, step by step and room by room then get your new cleaner to sign it before she starts working for you.

kathsue Sat 20-Jan-18 20:53:51

When I decided to get a cleaner I looked on the internet and booked through an agency. The agency provided some one who suited the hours and days I wanted, police checked all their employees and provide cover if my cleaner is ill or on holiday. They also can act as a go-between if I have any problems with her. I pay £8.50 an hour direct to the cleaner and £2.50 a week to the agency. They provided written lists of what needed to be done in each room. The cleaner and I went through them together and ticked the boxes so we both knew what she would be doing.
She's been coming for about 6 months now and she has been a great help because I have MS and get very fatigued. What she does in 2 hours would take me all day.
I know it costs more to use an agency but I felt more secure that way, I was quite worried about letting a stranger into my house at first.
I hope you have better luck next time. Perhaps if you write down everything you want doing, step by step and room by room then get your new cleaner to sign it before she starts working for you.

kathsue Sat 20-Jan-18 20:53:52

kathsue Sat 20-Jan-18 20:53:52

BlueBelle Sat 20-Jan-18 20:57:33

So she’s dusting polishing and hoovering five or six rooms plus hallway and steam cleaning utility and kitchen floors then a thorough clean of one room That’s a fair bit for two hours and twenty pound

petra Sat 20-Jan-18 21:07:05

2 hrs. Piece of piss. I would have done that with time to spare in my day.
None of you have obviously never been a chambermaid.
But I do like cleaning, and I'm very good at it.
Now where's my ?

cornergran Sat 20-Jan-18 22:09:51

I’m not sure if you’re asking too much bluesmum. When we had cleaners the most effective came via an agency. I walked round with someone from the agency and compiled a list which was used by the cleaner as a checklist. Some jobs each time, some alternate visits. It worked well. Only had a problem with one person who just didn’t come back. One woman who had cleaned our home for a few months and returned a couple of years later when we had been doing our own cleaning said she could tell we had done it ourselves - not up to her standards blush. Maybe try an agency?

Jalima1108 Sat 20-Jan-18 23:13:50

DM, who was very houseproud, employed a cleaner when she was no longer able to do it - this woman (a neighbour) used to 'dust around the ornaments' which annoyed DM intensely.
When they were allocated a 'home help' the home help used to get through quite a lot in an hour, including cleaning the inside of the sitting room window. DM was very impressed. Of course, that was many years ago now.

OldMeg Sat 20-Jan-18 23:22:04

I give mine a list of jobs to do, including a couple she only need do ‘if you have any time left’. I also stay in and I do the rooms I haven’t asked her to touch. That way the whole house gets done quite well.

carol58 Sat 20-Jan-18 23:51:50

Any decent cleaner shouldn't need instruction beyond 'please don't touch that item/room/ area' . I worked as a cleaner for a few years when my kids were younger and money was short, never had any complaints and was in fact so much in demand that I had a waiting list! I could go through a large 4 bed house with huge farmhouse kitchen & conservatory in 4 hours and leave it spotless. Skirtings dusted, cobweb free, floors hoovered, swept, mopped, surfaces dusted & polished, kitchen cleaned, windows cleaned ( but not all of them every week!) bins emptied etc etc.. In fact everything I do at home apart from a deep (Spring) clean which would be for instance - taking down curtains, laundering cushions, beating rugs etc. Yes, it was exhausting but imo cleaners are relatively well paid and I felt I needed to earn my wages. I would say visit any potential cleaner in their own home when interviewing; you'll soon see what their standards are!

kittylester Sun 21-Jan-18 06:56:02

I don't agree that visiting a cleaner in their own home is a good indicator. Our cleaner will cheerfully admit that she lives in a mess but my house is always done to a high standard.

I think it is a bit hit and miss - I have used an agency and found they had locked me out of the house and they really cut corners.

Carol58, is right. A good cleaners shouldn't need to have a list. Our cleaner does upstairs one week, down the next but kitchen and bathrooms every week.

boheminan Sun 21-Jan-18 08:57:07

I'm a rare one here that has the boot on the other foot. I did private house cleaning for c5 years/20 hrs a week until I retired. I could write a book about it. I was often referred to 'the little lady that 'does' for me'.

In my experience there's an ingrained attitude towards us that do so called menial work. I've had employers following me around room to room inspecting what I'd done as I do it, then there's the 'elastic list', with a little bit being added on every week ('could you get up on a ladder and clean the top of the picture rail as well') employers that don't/won't talk to me on my arrival, there's the mountain of fat caked washing up piled up to the ceiling which takes half my time before I've even started on the 'real' cleaning...the list goes on. Yes, there's also been wonderful friendships made.

I believe we all have different personal standards and priorities. Most want sparkling baths/toilets/sinks (I won't even go into stories of the state of some of the toilets I've had to scrape out) shiny floors, mirror working-surfaces, everything polished, dusted, moved (even beds and sofas) practically a miracle performed in 2 hours every week, all with the whoosh of my magic wand and trusty vacuum cleaner - just call me Mary Poppins!

I could go on for a long time here - but am going to zip up for now and start writing the book. I feel this hasn't really added to the discussion and will probably be overlooked, but it's certainly got a lot off my chest. There's two sides to every story.