Gransnet forums

Chat

Retirement clothes?

(8 Posts)
suzied Wed 24-Jan-18 21:25:49

I think I’ve nearer 30 pairs of trousers if you count leggings, jeans, trakkie bottoms, slouchy linen ones, tailored ones in a variety of colours, evening silk ones, palazzo pants, Capri pants, lounge pants, jump suits, shorts , don’t know how anyone could manage with 3.

loopyloo Wed 24-Jan-18 20:44:07

My clothes now have to be a, warm b,comfortable not much else matters as I spend my time in the house garden or allotment. Having said that I would love a pair of black pants that make me look a size 12.

seacliff Wed 24-Jan-18 19:48:53

My trouble is, I have sets clothes in several sizes. The biggest comfy ones with elastic waist (sadly my current garb). And next size down for when I hopefully lose a bit. I also still have a few much smaller items that I really should chuck. Time to be realistic.

Welshwife Wed 24-Jan-18 19:32:31

I think they must have meant three TYPES of trousers! Then they need to be replicated in summer weight fabric.

Envious Wed 24-Jan-18 19:23:53

Yikes I have double figures cause my figure doubles! grin

Greyduster Wed 24-Jan-18 19:10:04

My trouser count runs into double figures. I rarely wore them to work, but quickly ditched every other garment in their favour when I retired; formal trousers, jeans, cords, chinos, cargoes for walking and fishing, joggers for gardening and slopping around. How can anyone manage with just three pairs?

Iam64 Wed 24-Jan-18 18:59:48

My retirement clothes gradually replaced my 'professional' wardrobe. I love never buying a suit, a shirt or shoes that aren't entirely comfortable. Three pairs of trousers is impossible. You need 2 or 3 old pairs of jeans/similar for dog walking, gardening then 2 pairs for supermarket/shopping/ lunch with pals. On the rare occasion retirees leave the house after dark (see other thread on "do you go out at night") something you'd have loved to wear if you could afford to buy casuals as well are work clothes, is essential.
One rule in one out works very well, in clothes, books and kitchen equipment. Enjoy it.

Telly Wed 24-Jan-18 18:52:56

Have just read the article about the above and it suggests 3 pair of trousers! Think I must have about 20 - dog walking, gardening, supermarket, lunch, dinner, etc. etc. Not actually counted them but 3 seems pushing it. OK, I have been thinking of thinning them out, but no way could I get down to 3! One in one out rule seems sensible.