Gransnet forums

Chat

Criticism.

(47 Posts)
Nanawind Sat 27-Jan-18 08:29:53

I joined Gransnet a couple of months ago and love reading everyone's post but have noticed that some posters think it's ok when someone asks for help or support they criticise or in some cases be quite insulting, I thought this was a somewhere we could go for help.
I saw a thread recently where someone felt more lonely from reading Gransnet and now I understand what she or he meant let's not go down that road, please remember everyone has feelings and if they ask for help they need help.

Anniebach Sat 27-Jan-18 22:05:59

Anyway, end of last year I reached out here , not only was such caring and support given to me but the courage to keep going , I did want to just give up living , never be afraid to seek help, advice , support , here Nanawind

Anniebach Sat 27-Jan-18 21:57:55

Thank you Janeainsworth, one offers sensible advice and it is not appreciated ?

Elegran Sat 27-Jan-18 21:36:13

It is like a real-life conversation, Farmor where you don't only answer something from an hour ago, you respond to the latest thing said as well, and sometimes move well away from the original subject. But it is annoying when one-to-one arguments seem more important than general talk.

Nanawind Sat 27-Jan-18 21:07:52

So wish there was a like button.

Farmor15 Sat 27-Jan-18 20:54:23

I’m fairly new here too, and what annoys me is when posters start arguing with each other, instead of actually responding to OP. This thread demonstrates the point!

baubles Sat 27-Jan-18 19:21:44

Hello Nanawind and welcome to Gransnet. I don’t post a great deal but look in most days and usually find something which raises a smile. I’ve been most grateful for the support of many of the members, they’re a good bunch of people on the whole. grin

I hope you enjoy the site.

janeainsworth Sat 27-Jan-18 18:50:25

It started off like that ilovecheese but as often happens, has morphed into something else.
Most of the posts in this page are about political threads.

annodomini Sat 27-Jan-18 18:43:23

I never ask if I'm being unreasonable because I don't want to start a controversy and anyway...unreasonable? Moi? grin

Ilovecheese Sat 27-Jan-18 17:42:24

I don't think it is a thread about the political threads. I got the impression it was more about the ones that Monica described where some one might ask if they are being unreasonable and some one else might say "yes you are", which could be construed as 'being unkind'

janeainsworth Sat 27-Jan-18 17:10:58

Don’t go monica.
It’s not actually a political thread.
It’s a ‘discussion’ about political threads.
#pedantryrules

M0nica Sat 27-Jan-18 17:01:16

Oh dear, I have turned this into a political post. My deep apologies to all non-political posters. I am off this thread.

Elegran Sat 27-Jan-18 16:56:06

Pretence of what? Of agreeing? disagreeing?

janeainsworth Sat 27-Jan-18 16:55:30

annie said that posting and running was the best way to deal with political threads dj.
She didn’t say that’s what she does herself.
#sauceforthegoose

Elegran Sat 27-Jan-18 16:54:02

I go on political threads but I do not deliver party political arguments. Those are the ones where the professional boxers challenge the amateurs to out-punch them. Sensible amateurs leave the professionals to challenge each other.

durhamjen Sat 27-Jan-18 16:42:59

It becomes political when somebody says stay off the political threads like I do.
Annie doesn't post and run, either.
Elegran goes on lots of political threads.

It's all pretence.

M0nica Sat 27-Jan-18 16:34:37

... and of course, some threads do not start political but become so.

M0nica Sat 27-Jan-18 16:33:58

dj Yes, it is, and I know I contributed to it. My only excuse is that I was down with the dreaded lurgy at the time and not in my right mind. I can think of no other reason why I would have done so grin

Greyduster Sat 27-Jan-18 16:32:35

Elegran grin.

Elegran Sat 27-Jan-18 16:28:18

Monica I think that a few posters have come to "own" the political threads.

Once upon a time at fairgrounds there were boxing booths. Professional boxers would fight any amateurs who thought they were "hard enough" to take them on.

durhamjen Sat 27-Jan-18 16:28:08

Monica, is the Carillion thread not political?

Anniebach Sat 27-Jan-18 16:22:18

Best way to deal with the political threads is - take a deep breath, post, then run ?

Elegran Sat 27-Jan-18 16:17:44

When something is posted under "Am I being unreasonable . . ." and the reaction is "Yes, I think you are being unreasonable because . . ." it would be hypocritical to just pat the poster on the head and tell them that they are always in the right of it whatever they do. A straight question deserves a straight answer - it doesn't need to be a downright condemnation of them, just to show another point of view. If it lets them put themselves into the place of the other person in the story, and see both sides, then they will have gained an insight that may be useful to them. It may also be painfuyl for them to see how blinkered they were before - but that is life.

M0nica Sat 27-Jan-18 16:04:40

I think the political threads have become truly boring. The same narrow clique saying the same old thing again and again and again. Many posts verge on the abusive and show absolutely no respect for anyone in public life whose views are not identical to theirs.

I have given up on them and when, now and again, I do have a peek, I notice that most of the members I remember contributing when we could could have a wide ranging discussion on an issue with respect for each other and our differing views has long gone.

BlueBelle Sat 27-Jan-18 15:37:54

I agree Monica I try to give an impartial take on a posters request for help and that isn’t always what the poster is looking for Some posters are really shocked when some comes up with a thought opposite to what they want to hear Some posts can be too direct though and a little diplomacy is still needed
Some subjects like bereavement, loss of contact with family members, breakups etc the poster is really looking for some empathy and support and I think gransnetters give it in bucketloads
Sometimes someone will come up with a problem that others can see a different side and the poster can’t and then it does need to be pointed out and that may not be liked (the old adage truth hurts ) there is no value in just saying ‘poor you there there’ to all problems ...and they did ask
I too keep out of the politics thread although I am interested in the subject but don’t want a daily row

Jane10 Sat 27-Jan-18 15:10:52

I agree!