Gransnet forums

Chat

cant get my mojo back

(61 Posts)
travelsafar Mon 12-Feb-18 21:19:02

After suffering sciatica for nearly three months i am just starting to feel like it is finally going. Before it started i would do aerobics three times per week, walk as much as possibleand keep very active.I am finding it hard to get back into the routine i once had. I find i am using the car more instead of walking.I do go to for a gym and swim session every Tuesday, but that is about it.Any ideas how to get back to normal??

Minerva Tue 13-Feb-18 11:29:51

Can you join a gym with a pool travelsafar?

I joined one 18 years ago and still swim 3 or 4 times a week but have had any number of breaks for grandmotherly responsibilities, broken limbs, hospital admissions and the rest. I deferred membership (for a charge) when abroad and when I broke my leg very badly but never gave it up. The thought that I was paying that money every month was what got me back to the gym the minute I could, on two crutches at one stage. When bandaging meant I couldn’t swim I walked on the treadmill, anything to keep moving. I often groan at the thought of trekking down there in mid Winter but have never come home again without feeling glad that I did.

I just couldn’t bear to be putting money into the pocket of the mega wealthy gym owner without benefitting from it myself.

ReadyMeals Tue 13-Feb-18 11:30:08

Maybe your body is trying to tell you to carry on taking it easy for a little while. Maybe your sciatica isn't totally out of danger for being aggravated yet.

Tessa101 Tue 13-Feb-18 11:40:14

I read this post with interest. I’ve left my mojo in Australia I’ve been back 2 weeks after lovely 5 weeks with my DD, & GDs and I cannot pick myself up. I’m active and fairly fit but my mood is so low at present I’m just going threw the motions and only doing what I have to do so I don’t let anyone down but it’s a real struggle. Never felt like this in my life before. So I’m going to start what some of you ladies have suggested but I need exercise for the mind as well as it’s that that is holding me back. Wish you well travalsafar.

Nannarose Tue 13-Feb-18 11:41:19

I have had 3 joint replacements and one bout of flu in the last 9 years. At first I fretted about 'getting back to normal' then I realised that fretting made it worse. Take it slowly and celebrate small victories.

It can be useful to head for a slightly different form of exercise for a while - and there are lost of suggestions on here. Are you seeing a physiotherapist? They can often be useful, suggesting what will improve muscle tone and fitness, but not aggravate anything. My own personal great help was water walking and water based exercises, but we are all different.

GabriellaG Tue 13-Feb-18 11:45:37

Bellasnana

Mojo = get up and go.

blue60 Tue 13-Feb-18 11:57:27

Try shorter walks to start off with, even 10/20 mins can start to set you up for the day. Just short bursts of activity to get you going again.

Elrel Tue 13-Feb-18 12:10:34

I hope my mojo is only in hibernation rather than gone! I get to tai chi most weeks but am aware of moving about less which is not good. Also I’ve put on half a stone.I do feel better on sunny days!
My DD is urging me to try Pilates again at a different place.

notreallyagran Tue 13-Feb-18 12:11:33

How about being kind to yourself and easing yourself gently back into your walking and aerobics? As you regain your fitness, you'll just feel like doing more.

sharonarnott Tue 13-Feb-18 12:47:23

I'm sorry but I can't help either. After losing 6st 5 years ago and then watching it slowly all go back on after being floored with blood clots on the lungs my mojo has never really returned. Since then both of my knees have gone and I now can no longer leave the house without someone with me things have gone from bad to worse. I managed to get mine back for a whole month at the end of 2016. Since then it has done a runner and never returned. It would be all too easy to totally give in but I live in hopes that something will suddenly click in to place in my head one day. The key is finding something to trigger it but right now needle and haystack springs to mind. I hope you find yours sooner rather than later smile

Direne3 Tue 13-Feb-18 12:55:37

For what it's worth, many years ago my DH was suffering badly. Our GP recommended that he wore a hat/cap and more importantly a scarf - DH hasn't had the problem since.

Hm999 Tue 13-Feb-18 13:23:33

I was ill just before Christmas. I literally was getting up, dressed, taking dog for a little walk, going back to bed. 7 weeks later I'm still struggling to get back to walking the dog the same distance as I was in December! Sleeping badly, eating too much sweet stuff, putting on weight.
So, watch what I'm eating, more water, try to get into better pre-sleep routine, make sure I'm building up dog walks using my Fitbit.
Thank you making me address this!

Mercedes55 Tue 13-Feb-18 13:45:41

I think it can take a long time to get your mojo back, but I'm sure it will come. The suggestions of trying different things to do are very good as you might find something that you prefer to do.

OH and myself had a very bad virus before, during and after Christmas and I stopped swimming for about a month. I went back when I thought I was well enough and when I got in the water it felt like I was swimming in treacle, I couldn't believe how difficult it was after such a short break!

The suggestion of a dog is good, that's the only thing that we were able to keep up doing when we weren't up to doing much else and just walking round the park in the fresh air and chatting with fellow dog walkers is really good and you don't have to walk far to reap the benefits smile

Marg123 Tue 13-Feb-18 14:01:21

Travelsafar you have all my sympathy . I am also suffering from Siatica. I’m on my fourth week. The spasms which took my knees from under me have gone, but have left me very cautious. I live on my own so stairs were frightening, ended up going down on my bottom. Better to struggle at the bottom than fall down from the top. My best friends have been a walking stick and grabber. I’m 70 and active. Yoga positions have helped. I find it weird that I can get down on the floor but sitting on anything but a straight chair is impossible. I’m on the mend, no walking stick but still very slow. Good luck to you. Hope you find your mojo soon.

pamdixon Tue 13-Feb-18 14:10:32

to all you sciatica sufferers: what works for me is sleeping on a very flat pillow - keeps the spine in better alignment at night I always reckon!

luzdoh Tue 13-Feb-18 15:20:31

I agree with Goldengirl regarding getting a good Physio to diagnose source of your sciatica and appropriate exercises. It's very important not to irritate your sciatic nerve I think as I was in Hospital screaming (most embarrassing) and still don't know what I did wrong except tried to do gentle exercises from a recommended "Back Book". Prior to that, I went to a club and did classes where the teacher gave us appropriate exercises. She was such fun too. This was quite a while ago. Sadly now, my deteriorating condition means I'm not able to do this and am unable to walk more than about 15-20 metres on a good day. Every day I'm at home alone and in much pain, so try to get out while you can! Best wishes.

Skweek1 Tue 13-Feb-18 15:27:13

We have a small local choir for over 55s - do concerts for Care Homes, local church groups etc and everyone starts by saying "I can't sing", but everyone enjoys the friendly atmosphere, improves our breathing and social life. Healthy activities apart from swimming: Tai Chi, you possibly have a local Yoga for Health group and Aqua Fit and/or "Gentle Exercise"/Armchair exercise groups are all helpful and usually very cheap, if not free.

vwaves Tue 13-Feb-18 15:55:24

A lot of areas have health walks. Warrington, Cheshire and Sussex. Run by council. They are nice and sociable. Might be nice for you as a way to get back into more walking. I got a step measurer and just did a few more each day. It was a great incentive to park a bit further away, walk round the park, even just walk to the shop . Good luck!!

Legs55 Tue 13-Feb-18 16:52:13

My DF always used to say "my get up and go has got up and went". Grey, wet windy weather makes me feel gloomy but sunny, crisp days are cheerful. I love to wrap up & get out for a short walk (very short walk) or do a bit of tidying up in the garden. Hearing the birds singing lifts my spirits & I can't wait for all the bulbs to flower. I have a couple of crocuses in flower & hellibores.smile

I'm not one for exercise but a new Pilates class started & I decided to give it a go, I'm probably the most unco-ordinated person you could meet but I'm enjoying it & feel good when I come out. hmm

Kim19 Tue 13-Feb-18 17:05:07

Direne3, that's very interesting info re th hat and scarf . Thank you.

travelsafar Tue 13-Feb-18 18:02:55

Thank you for all the suggestions that have been posted. I went for my gym and swim session today as i have been referred by gp for classes. The list for seeing a physio so long. The exercises really do help as i have been able to stop most of the prescription drugs and only take two in the morning if i know i am going to have a busy morning which will tax my leg. I think physcially i know i am on the mend it's the fact that my confidence has hit rock bottom, I am scared it will never completely go and scared that it might come back if I exercise or do too much walking. I have had a taste of loosing my independence to the point I couldn't even drive as the tablets made me so woozy.

CrazyDaisy Tue 13-Feb-18 18:54:37

Here's a little ditty to cheer us all up.

My Get-Up-And-Go Has Got Up and Went
(Anonymous)

Old age is golden, or so I’ve heard said,
But sometimes I wonder, as I crawl into bed,
With my ears in a drawer, my teeth in a cup,
My eyes on the table until I wake up.
As sleep dims my vision, I say to myself:
Is there anything else I should lay on the shelf?
But, though nations are warring, and Congress is vexed,
We’ll still stick around to see what happens next!

(Chorus)
How do I know my youth is all spent?
My get-up-and-go has got up and went!
But, in spite of it all, I’m able to grin
And think of the places my getup has been!

When I was young, my slippers were red;
I could kick up my heels right over my head.
When I was older my slippers were blue,
But still I could dance the whole night through.
Now I am older, my slippers are black.
I huff to the store and puff my way back.
But never you laugh; I don’t mind at all:
I’d rather be huffing than not puff at all!

(chorus)

I get up each morning and dust off my wits,
Open the paper, and read the Obits.
If I’m not there, I know I’m not dead,
So I eat a good breakfast and go back to bed!

Jan5954 Tue 13-Feb-18 19:21:20

Why is my OH so annoying !!
When l retired 2 yrs ago ..my OH had already been redundant/retired for 5 yrs and and things seemed to be plodding along fairly well.
We seem to get on ok apart from when we settle down to watch TV ...my favourite programmes are Escape to the Country or Antiques Roadshow ... but then he starts talking !! ...he just doesn’t shut up ! ...l am going to swing for him soon !! ..l never hear a peep from him if there is something on the TV ( football) that he likes to watch .
Any ideas to shut him up before l commit a heinous crime would be appreciated ..many thanks

Sararose Tue 13-Feb-18 20:52:37

Do you have GP referral classes in your area? They can refer you for aqua aerobics, the gym ( with guidance) and Pilates. I find Pilates is wonderful and a good instructor will teach at all levels.

SussexGirl60 Tue 13-Feb-18 21:20:00

Three months is a long time to have sciatica. Perhaps you could look at some alternative treatments. I had Craniosacral therapy when I had it and it lasted days, not weeks, even though it was agony at the time. There are also some homeopathic remedies that can help both the sciatica and general energy levels...and some people find acupuncture helpful.

Kim19 Wed 14-Feb-18 08:30:34

CrazyDaisy, that is excellent and thank you. Think I've seen it years ago when it wasn't so relevant to me but it certainly is now, big time. Anything that makes me smile is decidedly welcome always.