Gransnet forums

Chat

cant get my mojo back

(61 Posts)
travelsafar Mon 12-Feb-18 21:19:02

After suffering sciatica for nearly three months i am just starting to feel like it is finally going. Before it started i would do aerobics three times per week, walk as much as possibleand keep very active.I am finding it hard to get back into the routine i once had. I find i am using the car more instead of walking.I do go to for a gym and swim session every Tuesday, but that is about it.Any ideas how to get back to normal??

LJP1 Wed 14-Feb-18 11:21:05

Try a hot bath when you get up. It helps enormously.

auntbett Wed 14-Feb-18 12:02:14

So sorry to hear you're suffering travels. I think the fact you want to get on with things is a good sign, so just keep on trying to do what you can manage - baby steps! I do empathise with you. I have profound spinal stenosis and find it very difficult to even walk 50 yards, but do find that if I push myself a bit, it does get a little easier. Your outlook on life has a lot to do with maintaining a sense of progress! Good Luck and best wishes.

AmMaz Wed 14-Feb-18 12:58:35

Critical to pace yourself, building up gradually - little and often. ( I work in a pain clinic smile)

Nannarose Wed 14-Feb-18 13:45:37

Things like gym referrals and physio waiting lists are so variable. I lived in an area where the physio waiting list was long, now we can self refer to an excellent service, and I don't need a private physio!
Just one session with a good private physio may be worthwhile - the Royal College of Physios has a website you can look at.

JanaNana Wed 14-Feb-18 14:45:08

Love the poem Crazy Daisy. It reminds me of one of my husband's aunts, she always said " when I,ve taken everything off and out" there,s not much left of me to put to bed.

Mypennyfarthing41 Mon 19-Feb-18 10:45:27

You are not alone ...l

Mypennyfarthing41 Sun 18-Mar-18 18:20:08

Having read all the above posts l know exactly what you all feel. 'Re going back to Pilates, l do belong to a group in the village run by a very professional physiotherapist who is great, however, l discovered an online Pilates site ...TheBalanced Life....$19per month with all the moves demonstrated, care to be taken, and, most of all,your encouraged not to beat yourself up just because you can't cope just yet, they tell you to be kind to yourself, there's encouragement from fellow sisters ( once you've joined you can elect to belong to the Sisterhood, which means you can email how you're getting on, how you're feeling, what you have/haven't achieved and encouraged to carry on. There's also a recipe bundle. Good food recommendations, menus to follow and to lose weight - if that's what you want. You can also join month by month, or yearly. Personally,lm going with a monthly membership.
I've joined for this March month, l'll probably join next month too, lm in the same place as many of you are, feel very disinclined to lift a finger, but several days ago, when the sun shone so brightly all day, l went for a short walk around the garden among literally thousands of daffodils. What a difference, l actually did a couple of jobs, wow, l felt so virtuous.
Now it's snowing again. Hmmm.
At some point lm going to do one of the Pilates workouts, it's only 15...20 minutes, but effective. I'm sure that once lve moved myself once, ll get motivated. Robin Long who started the Balanced Life website is very supportive, and you can read about it if you go online. Without committing.

Comically, you can watch her doing the workouts on the beach where she lives in Santa Barbara, whilst you go along with her whilst doing yours,...whilst it's snowing.
I do hope this cheers someone up - hopefully it'll motivate me too...hopefully! Can't promise....

Mypennyfarthing41 Sun 25-Mar-18 11:58:19

Go online, type in the balancedlife.
com - it's proper online Pilates,, from beginner to advanced. And it's great at 19 dollars per month. After two rounds of the big C, colon that went into reverse and rather serious sepsis. I was kind of low...
Pilates, good vitamins, and minerals and trying to get more sleep is, l think, paying dividends
Fingers crossed

goldengirl Sun 25-Mar-18 13:28:45

I've just joined a choir where there's no auditions. It's challenging but great fun and I feel much better for it. I've not sung for over 50 years!!! We also learn 'movements' with the songs rather than stand still and it is REALLY challenging doing 2 things at once. I admit to keeping in the back rows!!!

RosieGlow Sat 31-Mar-18 22:44:15

I'm having the same issue but it's 3 yers since I broke my foot! Still can't get back on track. I used to walk 10,000 steps a day and now I'm lucky if I do 1,000. I joined a gym and only went three times. I've also packed on the weight and am always trying to lose it. I tell myself 'I will be able to exercise when I've lost some weight'! Trouble is, tomorrow never comes so we have to just do it now, today. I thin k it would help to have an exercise partner - has anyone tried that?