Gransnet forums

Chat

Pancakes

(30 Posts)
MIssFriday Wed 14-Feb-18 08:21:42

My pancakes were a bit of a disaster.
I used a recipe from the bero cookery book as normal. I used oil as normal. I started off with a medium frying pan then swopped to a small frying pan, that did improve them. I also swopped to the smaller gas ring but had on a high setting. They didnt seem to cook well in the centre.
How did you cook your pancakes?
I want to try again.

Yehbutnobut Wed 26-Feb-20 07:54:51

Recipe?

I mix flour, milk and eggs in what ratios seem ok to me. Never fails. Used Buckwheat flour this year and that worked really well.

harryyti Fri 05-Jun-20 04:53:34

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Franbern Fri 05-Jun-20 10:14:43

Never mind about the recipe, it is the pan that gets me.

I have made pancakes for years, flour, egg and milk. Not all that good at measuring, know when mixture looks right, leave to settle for 15-30 minutes before using.

However, I have an extremely old, cheap when it was new, very bashed about frying pan - and with this I make perfect pancakes every time, every one. The centre is dented, but even that causes me no problems.

So many times over the years I have consigned this to its rightful place in the rubbish bin, and purchased (often expensive) nice looking replacements. All of them cause me problems when cooking my mixture. So, old battered thing re-instated.

Gosh, I really hope this will outlast me, I love pancakes, one of my comfort foods.

12Michael Fri 05-Jun-20 11:15:24

I do buy ready made ,also find Staffordshire Oatcakes similar as well.
If out and I fancy a pancake , there is a Dutch Pancake restaurant in Banbury who do both sweet and savoury ones.
Mick