Gransnet forums

Chat

What would you grab if you had two minutes to leave your house?

(74 Posts)
Menopaws Sat 17-Feb-18 19:44:28

Not in a nasty situation but just for fun, what would you grab if you had two minutes before you left your house. Apart from the obvious like children, grandchildren, pets and documents, is there something else? I have a bronze figure of two racehorses which I bought with help from my family for my 40th which I would hate to lose.

grandMattie Sun 18-Feb-18 11:38:29

Probably nothing. At my age, i just think of things like that as "stuff", though I might make the efort to save my hard drive.

Hebdenali Sun 18-Feb-18 11:46:19

Passport and iPad with all of my bank details as well as my purse with cards. Most things can be replaced but losing your identity credentials would be rather inconvenient.

ReadyMeals Sun 18-Feb-18 11:48:05

Family photos. They go back several generations and my daughter would never forgive me if I lost them, and my late mother would haunt me!

Minerva Sun 18-Feb-18 11:49:13

Like Nanabilly , presuming my bag with IPad was already on my shoulder, it would be the scrapbooks. We were travelling for years and I kept a daily journal and on our return home continued, with a baby soon on the way. Once she was born, scribbled journals became scrapbooks detailing the children’s lives, our homes and environments etc. for the next 18 + years. My daughter intends to photo them and put them on the computer so that she can throw away the 60 albums when I’m gone, but when she will ever have time I can’t imagine.

Cobweb01 Sun 18-Feb-18 11:49:31

Laptop for photos amd a framed pencil drawing of a tiger my daughter spent months drawing for my birthday when she was 15: she will be 30 in April (tigers are my favourite animal).

linjon Sun 18-Feb-18 11:59:27

Photographs!!! The only thing I wanted when my first marriage ended!!

gillyknits Sun 18-Feb-18 12:05:15

My handbag and I-Pad.

MissAdventure Sun 18-Feb-18 12:06:00

A couple of photos and my phone, I think.

Nanny41 Sun 18-Feb-18 12:16:27

Phone, purse and car keys are always in my handbag, ready for a quick excape, oh one more thing, my Passport! dont live in the UK and need to get back!

schnackie Sun 18-Feb-18 12:18:21

I am well known for "not being able to make a decision to save my life!" So I would probably just burn down with the house (or drown in the flood or whatever) grin

Kim19 Sun 18-Feb-18 12:27:40

Engagement ring & wallet.

Direne3 Sun 18-Feb-18 12:33:07

schnackie grin

Brigidsdaughter Sun 18-Feb-18 12:34:42

Schnackie - I'm the same... will be gone with the house or know exactly what I should have taken 10 mins later!

glammanana Sun 18-Feb-18 12:37:17

My laptop/bag/moisturiser and hairbrush can't live without them.

DanniRae Sun 18-Feb-18 12:49:38

All my photo albums and all my diaries - lots and lots of both. Maybe I should get a wheel barrow so I can get them all out safely!

oldandbold Sun 18-Feb-18 12:55:39

I was actually flooded a couple of years ago, and so I know that I would grab my just my photos. I found that in the event, as grandMattie says, everything else was ‘stuff’.

paperbackbutterfly Sun 18-Feb-18 13:02:17

I have a metal nutcracker in the shape of a dog. It was made in a local foundry as a foreigner for my granddad around the 1930s and is a bit of local history. He gave it to me to keep safe about 40 years ago. I would take that and my memory stick with all our photos on in. Irreplaceable.

NfkDumpling Sun 18-Feb-18 13:08:23

My diaries. I have a memory like a sieve which is deteriorating and have been keeping a journal/diary for the last 15 years. And the old family photos I haven’t scanned onto the computer yet. Most of my photos are on The Cloud so I should be able to retrieve them. Stuff like passports, NI Insurance numbers etc would be handy too, but I’d need a lot longer than two minutes to track it all down. Perhaps it’s time I got organised!

OldMeg Sun 18-Feb-18 13:33:21

My home insurance policy

antheacarol55 Sun 18-Feb-18 13:39:05

My Cat and teddy

cavaliermum Sun 18-Feb-18 13:39:22

My New Mulberry bag ( shallow I know )

quizqueen Sun 18-Feb-18 13:46:41

Laptop, credit card, car keys, photo albums, comfortable shoes- there's too many old toys and collectibles in my house I wouldn't know where to begin to prioritise what else to save first!! But the cat would be a priority before anything else.

mischief Sun 18-Feb-18 14:18:16

My laptop. My life is on there. Photos, documents, contacts, books, bank details, insurance details, purchasing history if I have to re-buy anything. Everything in one place.

Saggi Sun 18-Feb-18 14:24:07

Photos and file with documents in. Nothing else matters

harrysgran Sun 18-Feb-18 14:24:42

Family photos and my mother's wedding ring hopefully I would have my mobile phone with me to ring fire brigade